Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? IMG_3712

27.4 MPG on the way home from the zoo today.

This is with the Livernois 93 octane tune, regular non e-boost version. I loaded it back a few weeks ago to compare - I do miss the e-boost version so I’ll reload it eventually..
Sponsored

Boyk1182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost
IMG_3712.jpeg

27.4 MPG on the way home from the zoo today.

This is with the Livernois 93 octane tune, regular non e-boost version. I loaded it back a few weeks ago to compare - I do miss the e-boost version so I’ll reload it eventually..
That’s a good trip, I get some random ones like that too. What is your lifetime average? Based on your fuel gauge being almost half full with 257 miles left is it around 18 or so?

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
That’s a good trip, I get some random ones like that too. What is your lifetime average? Based on your fuel gauge being almost half full with 257 miles left is it around 18 or so?
I’m too lazy to go check, but that seems about right. If you notice the mileage, I don’t drive very long trips. 7400 miles total after about 1.5 years. The vast majority of my trips are under 5 miles, which impacts efficiency pretty badly I suspect.

I also try to have some fun every time I drive. 😁 This trip was with the granddaughter in a child seat, so I was driving a little bit less spicy

Boyk1182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m too lazy to go check, but that seems about right. If you notice the mileage, I don’t drive very long trips. 7400 miles total after about 1.5 years. The vast majority of my trips are under 5 miles, which impacts efficiency pretty badly I suspect.

I also try to have some fun every time I drive. 😁 This trip was with the granddaughter in a child seat, so I was driving a little bit less spicy
Ok just wondering. I’m about the same as you, 18.8 lifetime average and a lot of short trips. I can have a 15 mpg trip and a 27 mpg trip back to back, same weather, same driving style, just trying to make sense of it.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
PB's should run their "EV coach" gauge continually so they understand how it works. It'd be a great vid how-to for some YTer to do. Below 50mph, if the HVB isn't "empty" dragging the brakes a little bit will shut off the ICE (depending on how much is in it you can get 2 miles on electric alone at ~50mph, sometimes lifting off throttle is enough to do it). If you're at speed and the EV bar begins to shrink, the HVB is low.

Really simple things especially around shutting off the ICE will really help to boost mileage. Ford should have put a little bar gauge for the HVB in the truck as another data point (usable capacity, not actual capacity). It really comes down to the driver having to put a little effort into learning the variables and controlling them. If ford put a little more effort into programming the truck, people would get much better mileage around town without much effort. Livernois' eboost tune does give you the logic ford should have by invisibly creating a lul in the throttle pedal. Ford's standard logic does no such thing making staying in electric pretty difficult with the default throttle mapping.

With the default logic it's tough to maximize electric due to throttle curve. If they gave a few mm of dead travel on the pedal around max EV utilization, you could see drastically better results around town.

Sponsored

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
PB's should run their "EV coach" gauge continually so they understand how it works. It'd be a great vid how-to for some YTer to do. Below 50mph, if the HVB isn't "empty" dragging the brakes a little bit will shut off the ICE (depending on how much is in it you can get 2 miles on electric alone at ~50mph, sometimes lifting off throttle is enough to do it). If you're at speed and the EV bar begins to shrink, the HVB is low.

Really simple things especially around shutting off the ICE will really help to boost mileage. Ford should have put a little bar gauge for the HVB in the truck as another data point (usable capacity, not actual capacity). It really comes down to the driver having to put a little effort into learning the variables and controlling them. If ford put a little more effort into programming the truck, people would get much better mileage around town without much effort. Livernois' eboost tune does give you the logic ford should have by invisibly creating a lul in the throttle pedal. Ford's standard logic does no such thing making staying in electric pretty difficult with the default throttle mapping.

With the default logic it's tough to maximize electric due to throttle curve. If they gave a few mm of dead travel on the pedal around max EV utilization, you could see drastically better results around town.
There are definitely some tricks to stay in EV longer. My main display is the EV coach, seconded by power distribution when I'm playing around in 4A in the rain.

I do miss the e-boost tune - it definitely squeaks out more EV mileage and is less eager to jump into ICE. Ultimately, I probably won't get my money back in extra MPG, but it sure does drive like it should.

I drove my wife's 330e today for the first time in a long time. It's a PHEV, and gets about 25 miles on full electric. I did feel like I was driving a go-kart though. I can't get used to cars any longer, even after years of driving small fast things.. It might be time for a FORD tramp stamp..

Last edited:

Boyk1182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I do the little tricks like that, I’m probably at 20-25% of miles being electric. Some trips higher and then the highway trips lower.

rjinaz

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost 701A
Just took a road trip from Flagstaff to Phoenix and I was pretty happy with the highway mileage.
In my 2019 Lariat, I would be lucky to see 19, maybe 20 MPG on this trip.
Lots of uphill and down hill combo.

25.2 is fantastic.
Average speed was 75-80MPH (I-17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix is mostly 75MPH speed limit).
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 6.32.42 AM

Womps

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 King Ranch and 2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Just took a road trip from Flagstaff to Phoenix and I was pretty happy with the highway mileage.
In my 2019 Lariat, I would be lucky to see 19, maybe 20 MPG on this trip.
Lots of uphill and down hill combo.

25.2 is fantastic.
Average speed was 75-80MPH (I-17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix is mostly 75MPH speed limit).
Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 6.32.42 AM.png
Elevation of Phoenix is 1,000 feet. Elevation of Flagstaff is 7,000 feet.

PB Jam

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
So many factors I've learned affect mileage. In my experience, ordered by impact, I think these are the main factors
  • How aggressive you drive/terrain/traffic/stop lights
  • What type of gas you use (premium does help some in my experience)
  • How cold it is (battery temp affects performance)
  • Truck weight (what options you have/what you're carrying)
  • If you have 4WD (can't test this one so don't know how big the impact is)
I have a 21 platinum, in Atlanta area (moderately hilly). When its warm, with Premium, I am getting 22-25mpg depending on traffic/lights/and how I drive. On interstate i get about 19-20mpg if I'm driving 75+, 23-24mpg if I'm in the 50-75mph range. My best mileage has been on flat Florida highways where there is little traffic/lights and I go 45-70mph. I've gotten 26-27mpg there.

I used to run 87 octane and found I'd get about 2mpg less on average. I couldn't tell immediately (first tank), but over time I definitely could tell.

Sponsored

rjinaz

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost 701A
Elevation of Phoenix is 1,000 feet. Elevation of Flagstaff is 7,000 feet.
Phoenix is 1,435, but I digress.
If you ever made the trip, it’s not down hill the whole way.
You hit 30MPG from Flag to Sedona (4k foot drop in elevation), then it’s a long climb up from Camp Verde, that drops you back to the low 21-22MPG range. You’re in boost for about 10 miles straight. You gain some back coming through Black Canyon city. Then you lose more once you hit Phoenix. Was at 27MPG when I hit Carefree then lost some driving to east Phoenix. Freeway stop and go sucked.
from my daughter’s apartment in Flag to my house was a good mix of highway and city driving. 25.5 MPG at the end was much better than my 2019 Lariat making the exact same trip.
So I’ll take it.

madsend81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 157" WB
Occupation
Engineer
This was my trip today on my way back from my son's PT appt. 70 mph when traffic allowed, heavy afternoon traffic at times too. Not too shabby getting 25 mpg.
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? IMG_20240509_184157514_HDR

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems

I used to drag the brakes just as you described and it works well, but I found when I parked at my destination the truck would begin fast idle (I chose that charging option) to charge the HVB. I let it run until the ICE shuts down which gives back some of the mpg gain. Good practice I think because it gives time for things to cool down a bit with good circulation before shutting off and walking away.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
I have the EV coach logging things in the background, so I get the report about stops, take offs etc. but it was too distracting for me to watch that little moving box full time. I have the fuel economy screen up on the dash, down shift to stay out of the turbos (if I feel like it) and the power flow screen on the sync.

I'll double check later but somewhere around 25%+ are electric miles.

What is a little surprising to me, is the how hard towing mileage, whacks lifetime mileage. I also have some idle time, using PPOB and just learning the systems in the driveway. That doesn't help LT mileage either.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I have the EV coach logging things in the background, so I get the report about stops, take offs etc. but it was too distracting for me to watch that little moving box full time. I have the fuel economy screen up on the dash, down shift to stay out of the turbos (if I feel like it) and the power flow screen on the sync.

I'll double check later but somewhere around 25%+ are electric miles.

What is a little surprising to me, is the how hard towing mileage, whacks lifetime mileage. I also have some idle time, using PPOB and just learning the systems in the driveway. That doesn't help LT mileage either.
Absolutely regarding lifetime mileage. Use case makes a huge difference in that number. I am very impressed with the mpg my PB is capable of, and the rest is up to me.
Sponsored