Increased Tire Weight leading to performance decline

Nomis

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat FX4 w/ 5.0
Ehhhhh.....mine does not have any gear hunting issues and drives perfectly fine. I went from the stock 20" BAP wheels with 275-60-20 Hankooks that were 80lb/corner to my 18x9 Methods with 33x12.50x18 Kenda RTs which are 90lb/corner.

Truck has done a best 0-60mph of 5.65s and [email protected] verified on pump 91 so not quite the negative effect. I expect to lose some MPG. I haven't quite calculated that yet.
You put my mind at ease about getting the 3.31. Haven't added the tires yet(33x12.5x18 KO2's) but will next days off. I have a pedal commander in the mail to help a bit and will prob just run 91. My last truck had a 91 tune anyway so won't be anything new paying more for fuel
Sponsored

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
no it doesn’t iirc. Forscan will be needed.
Rough Country has one as well, goes inline behind speedo for anyone looking for a plug n play

OP
OP

Tall Tail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SuperCrew XLT 302A 4x4 5.0L 3.31
Ehhhhh.....mine does not have any gear hunting issues and drives perfectly fine. I went from the stock 20" BAP wheels with 275-60-20 Hankooks that were 80lb/corner to my 18x9 Methods with 33x12.50x18 Kenda RTs which are 90lb/corner.

Truck has done a best 0-60mph of 5.65s and [email protected] verified on pump 91 so not quite the negative effect. I expect to lose some MPG. I haven't quite calculated that yet.
If I understand correctly, a 10 lb increase per wheel.
Which engine and gears?

OP
OP

Tall Tail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You will for sure feel the unsprung weight increase at each corner. Not so much with acceleration (a little if you have a sensitive butt dyno), probably 0.2-0.3 off for 0-60 time, but definitely when cornering/braking and tossing the truck around if that's your driving style. It's also going to ride a LOT more truck like with LT tires.
Definitely noticed corning and squishy delayed response with my last upsize

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Last edited:

Sponsored

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
a rough country speedometer recalibrator? i believe he was referring to the transmission btw not the speedometer Lol.
yes, fully aware. Some reading may wonder about speedometer being off after adding larger tires.
Something without using Forscan.

For users that read your post #24

was just adding to the overall general conversation. Dont take it so serious LOL

Cb Mw

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bike
Interesting thread and I apologize to piggybacking here a bit.

I have the stock lariat 18inch machined wheels which from my research should be about 70 lbs with the stock wranglers, similar to the sport wheels.

I just weighed my expedition 22s with the stock grabbers and they come in around 85 lbs.

Extra 15 lbs per wheel. With the 2.7 (3.55) Sounds like I may be pushing it a bit too much.

Overall diameter is the same, but it sounds like weight it going to wreak havoc.

Any similar experiences and how did it work out?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tall Tail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting thread and I apologize to piggybacking here a bit.

I have the stock lariat 18inch machined wheels which from my research should be about 70 lbs with the stock wranglers, similar to the sport wheels.

I just weighed my expedition 22s with the stock grabbers and they come in around 85 lbs.

Extra 15 lbs per wheel. With the 2.7 (3.55) Sounds like I may be pushing it a bit too much.

Overall diameter is the same, but it sounds like weight it going to wreak havoc.

Any similar experiences and how did it work out?
There could be some missing information here .
If they are stock, I don't see it as a concern.
In any case, When adding new tires it seems like the weight is going to increase over OEM.
The question is where does it become a problem. If you aren't noticing any performance issues then it's likely not a concern. Summarizing the above thread, it seems like 10 lbs or so, has not caused problems for others.

If you don't have a use case that requires it, probably best to keep it as close to OEM as possible.

Cb Mw

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bike
There could be some missing information here .
If they are stock, I don't see it as a concern.
In any case, When adding new tires it seems like the weight is going to increase over OEM.
The question is where does it become a problem. If you aren't noticing any performance issues then it's likely not a concern. Summarizing the above thread, it seems like 10 lbs or so, has not caused problems for others.

If you don't have a use case that requires it, probably best to keep it as close to OEM as possible.
They are OEM off the expedition vs the OEM lariat wheels. The 22s are an inch wider, but tires are the same diameter. Everything seems to be well within range except the weight.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
For the same size tire the weights of different tires can vary considerably but the information is easy to find online. Going to a 2 inch taller tire is only going to increase the circumference by 7% and so the speedometer is going to register a slower speed than the actual speed by that amount. With 10-speed transmissions that is not a problem.

Heavier tires take more energy to accelerate but the actual loss depends on the type of driving, city versus freeway, being done. More of a problem is with tread patterns that are overly aggressive and waste a lot more energy moving the truck forward. Look at the tires on tractor rigs and their trailers and you will see the least aggressive tread being used as fuel economy is the main concern. Fleet operators are often using tires designed to be retreaded so the tread depth is less and this improves fuel economy.

A heavier tire puts added strain on the suspension components, steering mechanisms, and shocks, and shorten their useful life.

Tire sidewall strength and resistance to cuts is another variable but important only when driving on rocky roads or trails or running at low tire pressures to gain traction. Part of the problem is the fraud when a tire company promotes its "10-ply rated" tires that actually have only 6 plies. These tires can sell for a lower price and it is a false economy for extended offroad use.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Part of the problem is the fraud when a tire company promotes its "10-ply rated" tires that actually have only 6 plies. These tires can sell for a lower price and it is a false economy for extended offroad use.
I thought that with modern construction methods and materials, having 10 actual plies was no longer needed. I don't think I've come across a single E A/T tire that has 10 actual plies. Do you know of any?

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
I thought that with modern construction methods and materials, having 10 actual plies was no longer needed. I don't think I've come across a single E A/T tire that has 10 actual plies. Do you know of any?
I also believe that the actual ply count is no longer used, but they still rate tires based on it. For example, a current load range E tire would perform similarly to a 10 ply tire of old.
Sponsored

Last edited: