Sponsored

What can I use the 120v power for in the field?

Baywolf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT Sport
Occupation
US Army 1SGT (Retired)
I'm curious what and how I can use the 120v power from my 21 Ecoboost for when camping? I would like to have a small fridge and a rice cooker perhaps. Maybe some lights? What about a small microwave? Does it require the engine to be running all the time it is being used? What about having something plugged in when driving (like the small fridge)?

Does the inverter get really hot when under load? Something I need to worry about? If I accidentally overload it, what happens?

Any of you guys that have some real world experience i with this please let me know how practical using the 120 power in my truck really is.

Thanks.
Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Depends entirely on which version you have in your truck. Don't expect much.

400w basic version I have used it to charge a brand new DeWalt battery for electric chainsaw on my way to cut up some trees. Not a lot of power to work with there.

Look at amperage needs of whatever you want to run and do the math to see where it will land. My 400w inverter is good for a little over 3 amps which is what my DeWalt fast charger needs to run. 400w ÷ 120v = 3.34amps available. That number could go up or down depends on actual voltage coming out of inverter but best not to push the limits.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
This thread someone installed an aftermarket inverter which is not a bad option.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/installed-a-real-2k-power-inverter.17721/

Just remember if you run an inverter you need to keep the truck running. Might need to disable the 30 minute shutdown option in the vehicle settings for extended use. Or buy a regular generator. I bought an inverter generator that will use far less gas than running full size pickup truck.

OP
OP
Baywolf

Baywolf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT Sport
Occupation
US Army 1SGT (Retired)
Thanks. Ya, I got excited when I saw the power port in the bed of the truck, but like most things in life...it appears to be pretty much useless for any real world use I guess. 3.34 amps won't even run a blender...

Guess I will just keep using my little honda generator...

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Thanks. Ya, I got excited when I saw the power port in the bed of the truck, but like most things in life...it appears to be pretty much useless for any real world use I guess. 3.34 amps won't even run a blender...

Guess I will just keep using my little honda generator...
I was equally disappointed. I thought the 400w was just the outlets in cab. Makes perfect sense there.

I don't see any use for 400w in the truck bed. Maybe plug in a light but I have to be running the truck to get power out of it. I wouldn't trust my battery charger in the back of truck. It sits well on the passenger floorboard though.

This fast charger requires 3A so it's just under limits of the inverter.

Ford F-150 What can I use the 120v power for in the field? PXL_20230716_184153759

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I still think this is the best bang for your buck if you are looking for 12v DC power for a portable fridge or other portable electronics:

https://www.amazon.com/DR-PREPARE-Portable-Generator-Applications-POWERMAX/dp/B083ZDL1SZ

..charge it while driving with this adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PDD3R7J
LFP is a great chemistry, I wouldn't just buy any random pre-made box like that. I've got around 50kWh worth of batteries in 48 and 12v varieties (I build my own so made of loose cells). They can last several thousand cycles before they degrade to even 80% of their rated rates, and continue going several thousand more cycles. There's a high probability that most of my batteries will still be in use after I've left this rock.

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
Yep. All I wanted was to run a coffee maker. No joy. LOL I occasionally use it to recharge battery operated stuff, handheld ham or gmrs radio, porter cable impact wrench, Milwaukee tire pump. Usually If I forgot to before I went on an "overlanding", (offroad car camping) trip. I think the kids may have used the back seat one for something too on long trips I guess its a handy backup to charge some devices in a pinch.
Sponsored