gagliano7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 XL STX BAP 5.0 3:73
My first 4WD F150 without IWE's.

Not sure why Ford would delete them on my 2022 KingRanch Powerboost, but not on my 2021 Platinum Powerboost. But I'm happy to be done with them honestly.

Ford has a TSB for the previous generation F150, and if equipped with 4A transfer case, Ford recommends removing vacuum from the IWE and cap the lines off. Effectively disabling them.
Does the 4WD still work with them disconnected?
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have this issue on a brand new one. What’s funny is my Wrangler with MT tires vibrates 10,000% more but doesn’t bother me or really cause any physical discomfort. The F150 cabin is so utterly quiet and composed, however, not only do I notice it more, but my foot and leg tingle. Not good. I’m guessing I will be using cruise control a lot past break in period.
Hello! Send us a private message with your VIN and current mileage. Allow me to see what I can do to assist. Thanks!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Does the 4WD still work with them disconnected?
The key word is "disconnected".

When you disconnect vacuum from the IWE, you are permanently "connecting" the hub to the Transaxle.

Vacuum is used to DISconnect the hub/wheel from the spline on the front axle. So if you remove vacuum it's basically disabling the IWE mechanisms ability to disconnect the front wheels from the front differential.

Exactly what Ford has done by just removing the IWE altogether on my 2022 KingRanch Powerboost.

It's disappointing to hear that folks are having issues with these new electric IWE. It was so promising to see Ford FINALLY abandon the vacuum driven system, and replace it with a stepper motor that is controlled by the pcm. How the heck they could mess that up is confusing. :(

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
The key word is "disconnected".

When you disconnect vacuum from the IWE, you are permanently "connecting" the hub to the Transaxle.

Vacuum is used to DISconnect the hub/wheel from the spline on the front axle. So if you remove vacuum it's basically disabling the IWE mechanisms ability to disconnect the front wheels from the front differential.

Exactly what Ford has done by just removing the IWE altogether on my 2022 KingRanch Powerboost.

It's disappointing to hear that folks are having issues with these new electric IWE. It was so promising to see Ford FINALLY abandon the vacuum driven system, and replace it with a stepper motor that is controlled by the pcm. How the heck they could mess that up is confusing. :(
So! I tried something. I got in truck this morning, put it in 4H, switched back to 2H and started driving. Then I heard the wheel bearing type noise above 30 MPH which didn’t go away until I reengaged / disengaged 4X4.
I’m at dealer now about to ride with a tech.
Also, it’s warmer today and pedal is way less buzzy.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Replicated for the tech! Fhew. He says it’s IWE issue and they’ve been seeing these problems.

Part emergency ordered and hoping to get it by Tuesday. In the meantime it sounds like it’s okay for me to drive it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Replicated for the tech! Fhew. He says it’s IWE issue and they’ve been seeing these problems.
What's crazy is that we didn't hardly hear a peep about the new Gen14 electric E-IWE for months after they were first released. I personally had declared that Ford finally addressed the notorious issue by redesigning and getting away from vacuum.

Then suddenly it all came back?

Makes me wonder if the software was changed and Ford introduced IWE management based on ambient temperatures? And now it's no longer a straight cut on/off based on if you are in 2WD or 4WD?

gagliano7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does anyone no what is causing the noise? Is it partially engaged and is damaging anything? Because if it was fully engaged it shouldn’t make any noise. When I had my GMC you couldn’t even tell you were in 4wd unless you made a sharp turn.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does anyone no what is causing the noise? Is it partially engaged and is damaging anything? Because if it was fully engaged it shouldn’t make any noise. When I had my GMC you couldn’t even tell you were in 4wd unless you made a sharp turn.
Like Snakebitten said, why is this issue popping up all of a sudden? There are a bunch of related threads. It’s a curious thing.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On the traditional vacuum accuated IWE, the noise was indeed from partial engagement. And it could/would damage the hub from the grinding of unmeshed splines.

Another oddity with an E-IWE since you would think with the stepper motor receiving a command to engage/disengage would be absolute. On/off.

As for vibration, when my previous trucks were in 4A, thus the hubs were locked, I could feel the additional feedback through the wheel and subtly through the footwell. But the kind of vibration described here would require the grinding of partial engagement and that being transmitted through the front axles to the differential and then through the frame, in my opinion.

At least with the vacuum accuated IWE, you could just remove vacuum and basically delete them. I don't know how you could permanently lock the E-IWE?

Again, I'm thrilled to have a 4WD F150 that Ford completely removed the IWE. Although I'm still kind of amazed they chose to do it. Manufacturers RARELY will give back even the tiniest measure of EPA fuel economy regardless of the complexity required to achieve it. Dropping the IWE must definitely contribute to the lowering of the 4WD Powerboost from 24mpg to 23mpg between 2021 and 2022?

Uncle_Booty

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 302A SCrew 5.0 157" 4x4
Occupation
Commercial Truck Leasing
Ford opened a case file on mine yesterday, then just called me with instructions on next steps with my nearest dealership. I guess I'll be taking it there midweek.

Sponsored

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update: I got the latest OTA update and temps are rising. Today was the first time above 35F since owning this truck and it drove totally smoothly… barely imperceptible vibration / grinding in the gas pedal, if at all. So, temps absolutely do affect this issue. Hoping that the IWE fix on Thursday or whatever else they do can fix this once and for all. Is that wishful thinking?

gagliano7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Put mine in 4x4 the other day and drove about a mile. Monday morning it was 25 degrees and no problem on the ride to work. I wonder if putting it 4x4 helped engage properly when below freezing. I never had any problems until the software update. So i wonder if ford changed something.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Put mine in 4x4 the other day and drove about a mile. Monday morning it was 25 degrees and no problem on the ride to work. I wonder if putting it 4x4 helped engage properly when below freezing. I never had any problems until the software update. So i wonder if ford changed something.
Yup. I believe that something is up with MY23s and/or OTA updates. The question is whether the replacement part I’m getting later this week (hopefully) will be as defective as the one that came on the truck. I bet there will be a TSB at some point.
Even when I’m not getting the noise, I believe that the pedal vibration is related because at warmer temps the truck is totally smooth.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chilly drive to work. I switched 4x4 on / off and the left front wheel grinding started. Toggling it a second time usually makes it stop but it didn’t this time. I had to pull over, completely shut off truck, and that did it. I wonder how many people are going to notice this issue right away and instead do a lot of driving with this condition. I wonder what damage it’s doing to the drivetrain 🤷‍♂️

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If it's IWE partial engagement only, then any damage should be limited to the front wheel hubs.
Sponsored