Sponsored

Vibration thru gas pedal

Squbits

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
I have vibrations in my gas pedal, dealership stated they couldn’t replicate it and that it was normal operation. Im not convinced…

when accelerating and or maintaining speed at approximately 1.3 (1300) rpm’s, I feel a vibration in the gas pedal that varies. Intensity varies, sometime the vibration pulsates, and sometimes it’ll get stuck in a deep vibration that requires me to accelerate to get it to stop.

it ruins the driving experience.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
1300 rpms?

If you lock out the gear it is in and force a downshift 1 gear, does the vibration decrease?
What about another gear?

Or asked another way, is cruising at 1700Rpms less vibration?

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
I have vibrations in my gas pedal, dealership stated they couldn’t replicate it and that it was normal operation. Im not convinced…

when accelerating and or maintaining speed at approximately 1.3 (1300) rpm’s, I feel a vibration in the gas pedal that varies. Intensity varies, sometime the vibration pulsates, and sometimes it’ll get stuck in a deep vibration that requires me to accelerate to get it to stop.

It definitely ruins the driving experience — toward the end of a recent 1000 mile road trip I had had it and made my partner drive. It’s a real sensation and isn’t present on every truck (ie “a normal characteristic”). It’s been widely discussed for years. Maybe there are multiple possible causes, but no car has ever put my foot to sleep (I’ve owned 9 new cars and I’m 41). Call corporate and take it back to the dealer or another one.

It’s such a fine vibration that comes and goes based on road and god knows what else that I can see how an undiscerning person could miss it. I don’t think mine is pegged to RPMs — it happens in EV and ICE, up hill and down hill. It’s most noticeable above 30 MPH. I’m sure that it doesn’t help that the adjustable pedal has lots of play in it and is bolted right to the firewall. This design probably isn’t ideal. The brake is solid.

It is The Only thing that bothers me about the truck but one I can’t ignore. If I had bought a Tundra, my foot wouldn’t be falling asleep but 5 things would bother me about that truck. Sheesh. Come on Ford… just figure this out.

Squbits

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
1300 rpms?

If you lock out the gear it is in and force a downshift 1 gear, does the vibration decrease?
What about another gear?

Or asked another way, is cruising at 1700Rpms less vibration?
The vibration lessens when above 1300 rpms, regardless of gear. It still exists, just not as intense. It’s hard to explain, I’ve experienced it in multiple gears but every time I look it’s at 1300 rpms, or maybe I’ve just associated it with 1300. It randomly stopped doing it one day and was as smooth as the day I bought it.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's just my opinion, but the shift strategy Ford has for Normal and Eco mode both are so aggressively tuned for fuel economy that they are borderline lugging the motor at those low rpms.

Not every truck has the same rear end, so perhaps a 3:73 isn't quite as bad as a 3:31. I imagine not all torque converters are created equal, as well.

Not to mention different octane and fuel quality being tested at such low rpms/load.

But anytime I mention all the various parameters in play that could be a source of this kind of NVH, I usually am accused of being a Ford apologist. 😉😜

I'm more than willing to admit that the 10r80 transmission is manufacturerd with inconsistent variations between one sample and the next. (I've had 7 of them in the family fleet)
And I am literally ragging on Ford for their shift strategy.

If the truck was a manual transmission truck, few people would be shifting at such low RPM shift points. Again, my opinion.

Sponsored

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
It's just my opinion, but the shift strategy Ford has for Normal and Eco mode both are so aggressively tuned for fuel economy that they are borderline lugging the motor at those low rpms.

Not every truck has the same rear end, so perhaps a 3:73 isn't quite as bad as a 3:31. I imagine not all torque converters are created equal, as well.

Not to mention different octane and fuel quality being tested at such low rpms/load.

But anytime I mention all the various parameters in play that could be a source of this kind of NVH, I usually am accused of being a Ford apologist. 😉😜

I'm more than willing to admit that the 10r80 transmission is manufacturerd with inconsistent variations between one sample and the next. (I've had 7 of them in the family fleet)
And I am literally ragging on Ford for their shift strategy.

If the truck was a manual transmission truck, few people would be shifting at such low RPM shift points. Again, my opinion.
I will say that in normal, I get moderately better economy on 93 driving surface streets. Eco is almost indiscernible other than the different shift points but does show a slight edge on the highway. Sport… well, it’s damn sporty. Although I have noticed a tendency for it to hold 3rd going downhill at around 40mph. Slippery works great!

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist

I’ve got a vibration -1700 rpm (comes and goes) then it dissipates but returns without fail around 3k rpm- almost exactly- and then it tapers off from there (don’t often get much above 3k though).

The truck was fine the first 1,200 miles or so- but the vibration has been pretty consistent since then (2,500 miles on the truck so far). Truck has been perfect other than this.

Donas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired LEO
Just bought my first Ford last week. This pedal vibration is actually what brought me to the forums seeking guidance. Mine is a 2023 Platinum and the descriptions I read here hit it on the head: vibration, grinding feeling at times, reverberation at speed. The passengers say they can feel it through the floorboard on their side as well.

The wheel well liner on one wheel is missing 4 out of 6 rivets, I was hoping this potential loose part would be the culprit, but this thread made me lose hope. Seems like quite an expensive purchase to have such an issue. I noticed mine on the test drive, so it's definitely not a "developing issue"

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Just bought my first Ford last week. This pedal vibration is actually what brought me to the forums seeking guidance. Mine is a 2023 Platinum and the descriptions I read here hit it on the head: vibration, grinding feeling at times, reverberation at speed. The passengers say they can feel it through the floorboard on their side as well.

The wheel well liner on one wheel is missing 4 out of 6 rivets, I was hoping this potential loose part would be the culprit, but this thread made me lose hope. Seems like quite an expensive purchase to have such an issue. I noticed mine on the test drive, so it's definitely not a "developing issue"
Hi there. This vibration concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your new F-150. Could you please send us a DM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'll be having the dealer lookout this next week (thought appt. was this week).

That said, I noticed something today. Usually when I pull into my driveway, I'm running on EV. Because of past battery depletion issues, I place it in park and tap the gas pedal which runs the ICE for 30 seconds or so and tops off the battery. I've enabled Eco Idle, so the engine is known to be a little louder / harsher -- totally normal.

What was interesting was there was quite a bit of engine vibration (not the grinding I also feel at times) coming through the gas pedal while in park. Brake is mounted differently and was 100% vibration free. As has been discussed at length over the years and in different threads, mounting the somewhat flimsy adjustable pedal directly to the firewall probably isn't a great design. So, can I assume that *some* of the vibration is simply that, and not tires / driveshaft, etc. since I was idling in park?

Sponsored

Squbits

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
I locked out 9th & 10th while driving and noticed the vibration reduced due to the higher RPMs, however I noticed when I got on it and the transmission went through the gears the vibration would intensify - and reduce once it got to 8th. It is the same when going to 10th. I think my issue may be the transmission.

Side note, my wife drove my truck and immediately stated 'what's that vibration?' Interesting that a certified Ford mechanic can't replicate it and/or states that it is normal operation.

Truck; 2022 F150 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I locked out 9th & 10th while driving and noticed the vibration reduced due to the higher RPMs, however I noticed when I got on it and the transmission went through the gears the vibration would intensify - and reduce once it got to 8th. It is the same when going to 10th. I think my issue may be the transmission.

Side note, my wife drove my truck and immediately stated 'what's that vibration?' Interesting that a certified Ford mechanic can't replicate it and/or states that it is normal operation.

Truck; 2022 F150 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat
I also know I’m not crazy because my partner never notices these things and even drove on a bad wheel bearing in our Subaru for months without saying anything. Within the first 10 min of driving the F150 he was like, what’s that weird feeling in the pedal?

I’m bracing for a bit of a runaround with the dealer and mentally I’m already preparing for a $10k loss on this vehicle. Honestly, I’m already shopping around a little online. 😩

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
I also know I’m not crazy because my partner never notices these things and even drove on a bad wheel bearing in our Subaru for months without saying anything. Within the first 10 min of driving the F150 he was like, what’s that weird feeling in the pedal?

I’m bracing for a bit of a runaround with the dealer and mentally I’m already preparing for a $10k loss on this vehicle. Honestly, I’m already shopping around a little online. 😩

That’s really a shame (that you are shopping around because of this issue- but I get it); hopefully someone can get at least a workable idea and maybe we can figure out what’s causing at least some of these issues.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Maybe it’s as simple as an alignment issue. I’ve had several new cars out of alignment right from the factory that caused road noise, etc. Trying to stay positive and hope the dealer doesn’t blow it off. I’ve asked my salesman to take a test drive in another one on the lot while it’s in for service.

What I do know is that when I did a long test drive before placing the order, it felt like one of the smoothest vehicles I’d driven. The one I’m currently in sends shivers down my spine after awhile. I drove it half an hour today and just wanted out of it. The vibrations are fine enough that driving it around the block wouldn’t alarm anyone. Spend time in it and you become agitated.

Also, the isolated vibration / grinding in the pedal is the least of my concerns — I feel it in the floorboard, steering wheel, etc. Already had tires replaced and balanced twice at Discount Tire.

If it’s a normal characteristic that I failed to notice on the long test drive and I’ll have to look at other options, sadly. It’s an incredibly nicely designed truck otherwise.

Donas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired LEO
If I had bought a Tundra, my foot wouldn’t be falling asleep but 5 things would bother me about that truck. Sheesh. Come on Ford… just figure this out.
Nope, if you had a Tundra your foot would not be asleep because it would be in the shop and not being driven! I'm speaking from experience, I just traded a 22 Platinum Tundra two weeks ago for my first Ford.

Unfortunately, my only complaint is this pedal vibration and a reverberation noise in the cab at highway speeds. Other than those two things, I love the truck.
Sponsored