Using "Manual" vs. "Locking Out Gears"

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 502A, 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
I have very recently learned how to "lock out gears" - very cool; I had no idea that feature even existed! However, now the lines are somewhat blurred for me as to the functional / practical difference between using Manual, and the practice of locking out gears. Anyone care to take a stab at articulating the differences for this numbskull?
Sponsored

madsend81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 157" WB
Occupation
Engineer
I'll take a stab, since my prior truck was a MT.

When locking out gears, you are keeping the transmission in automatic, but preventing the transmission from utilizing the upper gears that you have locked out. This is the same as turning off overdrive in prior gen cars. The transmission will still shift as needed based on torque and power requirements.

In manual, the truck will stay in the gear selected until you change gears, just like a traditional stick shift.

OP
OP
FirstFord

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'll take a stab, since my prior truck was a MT.

When locking out gears, you are keeping the transmission in automatic, but preventing the transmission from utilizing the upper gears that you have locked out. This is the same as turning off overdrive in prior gen cars. The transmission will still shift as needed based on torque and power requirements.

In manual, the truck will stay in the gear selected until you change gears, just like a traditional stick shift.
That was my assumption and my understanding. Then I conducted a little test. I was driving around 50~55 MPH, put the trans into "M" in gear 9. Then slowly slowed down (not using brakes), and somewhere around 25~30 MPH, the trans downshifted to 6. I sped back up and it remained in 6. So, I was guessing that even in "M", the computer is monitoring speed, RPM, and gear, and regardless if in "M" or "D", the computer will shift gears to keep the vehicle at least functionally capable of driving - but this is all speculation and assumption on my part, and I haven't been doing too well with assumptions lately... In any case, it shattered my assumption that it was like driving a vehicle with a manual gearbox, which is what "Manual" implied to me.

Mr. T

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
That was my assumption and my understanding. Then I conducted a little test. I was driving around 50~55 MPH, put the trans into "M" in gear 9. Then slowly slowed down (not using brakes), and somewhere around 25~30 MPH, the trans downshifted to 6. I sped back up and it remained in 6. So, I was guessing that even in "M", the computer is monitoring speed, RPM, and gear, and regardless if in "M" or "D", the computer will shift gears to keep the vehicle at least functionally capable of driving - but this is all speculation and assumption on my part, and I haven't been doing too well with assumptions lately... In any case, it shattered my assumption that it was like driving a vehicle with a manual gearbox, which is what "Manual" implied to me.
You are correct in as it isn’t in true manual mode as the truck will take over to ensure you’re not messing up the engine. Most modern vehicles that have this “manual” mode operate the same way as most people don’t really know how to actually drive a manual nowadays.

OP
OP
FirstFord

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You are correct in as it isn’t in true manual mode as the truck will take over to ensure you’re not messing up the engine. Most modern vehicles that have this “manual” mode operate the same way as most people don’t really know how to actually drive a manual nowadays.
That makes sense, and also seems to confirm the assumption that I made.

I can envision numerous scenarios where locking out gears would be advantageous. And prior to learning about this function, I pretty much achieved the same end-game by using Manual. So, I'm still left with this blurred distinction between the two: when and why one method would be more desirable or advantageous over the other. It's probably more about nuance, but I would like to find a little more clarity.

Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
In some of my past cars I've definitely put it in manual while on the interstate to try to maximize mileage in the highest gear to keep it from downshifting. Then I come to a stop, the car will downshift to keep from stalling. Then I take off and I'm like "why is my car screaming, oh year, I had it in manual." I haven't done this in the F-150 since it has so many gears.

UncleWillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Tremor 402a 3.5 EB
I haven't done so in the F150 yet, but my '22 Ranger had the same function. Locking out 10 and 9 were great when towing heavy loads. Coming down mountain grades in M and manually shifting down on occasion saved riding the brakes for 5 straight miles.

madsend81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 157" WB
Occupation
Engineer
I'll admit I haven't tried manual mode in my PB yet. Too many gears to cycle through in my opinion. The computer can cycle through them faster than I could.

I still have my MT Nissan Frontier, though. My wife wanted to know why I didn't want to trade it in when I got the PB. I said that I insist our two boys learn how to drive a stick shift. Our 15 yr old son just got his learners permit and I'm teaching him how to drive it. Fun times! Only a few tire marks on the street from dropping the clutch too quick! 😆

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Manual mode is manual mode, but it does have some self preservation logic in it when called upon to do something dumb. With 3.73s, 8th gear 'opens' around 35mph for instance. The trans wants to lock up the torque converter as soon as possible and won't allow a gear to be selected unless it can lock it, is where the limitations appear to reside on my very limited testing.

You really don't want to be in a gear outside of TC lockup range as the torque converter will quickly heat up the trans fluid. That's just unnecessary wear and tear.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
The big difference here is Manual mode will NOT downshift if you floor it. So you would use Manual only when you want it to stay in whatever gear, period. I call this the "yes man" because it will only do what you tell it, other than when it HAS to down shift as you slow down.

The advantage of locking out gears is that if you floor it it WILL down shift for better acceleration. In Manual mode it will NOT downshift.

I lock out 8,9,10 for towing bigger trailers (like my RV). This allows it to basically become a 7 speed. It operates completely normally, even in tow/haul, but just wont shift into the deselected gears.

Compare this to Toyota models that I have driven. The S or manual mode is more like a suggestion. If I select 4, it will downshift to 4 but if I floor it, it WILL down shift. I call this the "suggestion switch."

Sponsored

OP
OP
FirstFord

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The big difference here is Manual mode will NOT downshift if you floor it. So you would use Manual only when you want it to stay in whatever gear, period. I call this the "yes man" because it will only do what you tell it, other than when it HAS to down shift as you slow down.

The advantage of locking out gears is that if you floor it it WILL down shift for better acceleration. In Manual mode it will NOT downshift.
Okay, I think I'm starting to catch on. The thrust of my inquiry was when - and why - you would use Manual mode over locking out gears, and vice-versa. Your answer has started down that road...

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Okay, I think I'm starting to catch on. The thrust of my inquiry was when - and why - you would use Manual mode over locking out gears, and vice-versa. Your answer has started down that road...
Manual is good for burnouts and truck pulls. Other than that I don't really use it.

Stealth88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a
Occupation
Aerospace
Forgive my ignorance but what’s this lockout y’all speak of?

I use manual in sport mode when I get tired of hearing the CD on my 5.0 (Corsa sport side exit).

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Forgive my ignorance but what’s this lockout y’all speak of?

I use manual in sport mode when I get tired of hearing the CD on my 5.0 (Corsa sport side exit).
Just start pushing the - key on the shifter and watch gears disappear from the cluster indicating the truck won't use them.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
i use lock out mode if stuck in 60 mph or less zones so the truck does not do the downshift up shift dance...
i will lock out 9 and 10 in those zones,
also towing the hauler trailer i lock out 9 and 10 and sometimes 8th if its real heavy .
i dont tow over 65 mph so having the added rpm is nice

i have also found in ECO mode it will hold gears longer and build boost, rather than in normal mode and drop a gear for inclines on the highway. weird..
Sponsored