35x12.50 and 4.56 / 4.88 gears ?

Burly

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost, Jeep Jku, 67 Camaro SS
So I recently lifted my truck and got bigger tires and wheels. Went with 4” bds with 35x12.50r20. I’m now considering gears so I called and talked to the guys at nitro gears. at first I was considering 4.10s. That would put me back to stock ratios. However the guy I talked to recommended 4.88s. After i explained that it was a powerboost, was a 10 speed, stock tires were 33s thinking he just didn’t understand. He responded “TRUST ME ON THIS ONE. YOU WANT 4.88s.”

Now I believe those guys know their stuff. It’s their job, that’s what they do, they‘re the experts. i was so confused about the answer that I almost didn’t know what to ask. I had maybe considered 4.56 but 4.88s weren’t even on the radar. I just recently switched to a F150 first gas motor since 2005. last 2 trucks were Duramax. So I’m not that familiar with f150s and how rpm sensitive they are. When I kinda pressed back on the phone the guy just said f150s are geared wrong from the start. I do get up 80 on the interstate. Not all the time but once a week I go 40 miles one way to my other shop. I know I will get some performance back by a gear change. 4.10s kind of feel like not enough change. 4.56 seem like a good compromise but then again4.88s may have a higher rpm but truck shouldn’t be working that hard because of all the mechanical advantage? It’s only like 2400rmps at 80mph with 4.88s. Is that a huge rpm increase? Idk. Like I said, I’m new to eco boost.

would like to see if anyone is an expert on this and has real world experience. Done a lot of searching and not finding a good explanation. Why do you think the guy at Nitro was so sure about 4.88s?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Burly

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
kind of was hoping someone had some experience regearing 10 speed ecoboost......

Sponsored

Dsol21

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
So I recently lifted my truck and got bigger tires and wheels. Went with 4” bds with 35x12.50r20. I’m now considering gears so I called and talked to the guys at nitro gears. at first I was considering 4.10s. That would put me back to stock ratios. However the guy I talked to recommended 4.88s. After i explained that it was a powerboost, was a 10 speed, stock tires were 33s thinking he just didn’t understand. He responded “TRUST ME ON THIS ONE. YOU WANT 4.88s.”

Now I believe those guys know their stuff. It’s their job, that’s what they do, they‘re the experts. i was so confused about the answer that I almost didn’t know what to ask. I had maybe considered 4.56 but 4.88s weren’t even on the radar. I just recently switched to a F150 first gas motor since 2005. last 2 trucks were Duramax. So I’m not that familiar with f150s and how rpm sensitive they are. When I kinda pressed back on the phone the guy just said f150s are geared wrong from the start. I do get up 80 on the interstate. Not all the time but once a week I go 40 miles one way to my other shop. I know I will get some performance back by a gear change. 4.10s kind of feel like not enough change. 4.56 seem like a good compromise but then again4.88s may have a higher rpm but truck shouldn’t be working that hard because of all the mechanical advantage? It’s only like 2400rmps at 80mph with 4.88s. Is that a huge rpm increase? Idk. Like I said, I’m new to eco boost.

would like to see if anyone is an expert on this and has real world experience. Done a lot of searching and not finding a good explanation. Why do you think the guy at Nitro was so sure about 4.88s?
Any update on this?

OP
OP

Burly

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any update on this?
I think if i was to do it again i would go with the 4.56s. I think nitro gear’s suggestion, of 488s being that they are in Washington where they aren’t going 80 mph on the interstate and higher elevation than where i am at…. Maybe 4.88s would be better for them. I really liked the change of the 488s. it definitely make a huge difference in the throttle response, fuel economy came back. It’s a lot better to drive. I‘ve really liked it. I’m not on the interstate a lot so it’s ok for me right now but i am considering dropping it to 4.56 gears though. I think the little bit of change would be awesome. I’m just a little highly the rpm. my brother has a rapture with 4.10s and i just don’t like it all that much. If someone came out with 4.30s i would be an interesting experiment but i still feel pretty comfortable saying 456s is probably the best way to go.

Last edited:

Dsol21

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I have a power boost as well and it’s on the 6in bds coil over lift but I added a rear leaf spring and extended the coil overs a bit so I’m currently sitting in a 8in lift. Running on 22x12 with 35s. I think I’ll go with the 456s, hopefully I can get some power back because when on 4wd it’s really sluggish. Not to mentioned fuel economy

Attachments

Adronm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 f150 xlt powerboost
Thanks for this thread. I just picked up my powerboost last weekend and drove it home across the country. I’m planning on either the same lift as you or possibly only going with the Cognito 2.5” front lift, still undecided on that one. I do know I am going to go with 35”x12.5” though. I was initially thinking I would go with 4.10s but I’m starting to consider the 4.56 now. I will be on the highway doing 75-80 on a regular basis although probably not every day. What didn’t you like about the 4.10s? So far I am liking the stock gearing, at least with stock wheels and tires, although admittedly I haven’t that much seat time yet. Are the heavier wheels and tires enough to make it sluggish?

OP
OP

Burly

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for this thread. I just picked up my powerboost last weekend and drove it home across the country. I’m planning on either the same lift as you or possibly only going with the Cognito 2.5” front lift, still undecided on that one. I do know I am going to go with 35”x12.5” though. I was initially thinking I would go with 4.10s but I’m starting to consider the 4.56 now. I will be on the highway doing 75-80 on a regular basis although probably not every day. What didn’t you like about the 4.10s? So far I am liking the stock gearing, at least with stock wheels and tires, although admittedly I haven’t that much seat time yet. Are the heavier wheels and tires enough to make it sluggish?
So after having the 4.88 gears i have decided that it’s too short. I am at 2600 rpms at 80Mph. I have talked to nitro and Yukon and for some reason in their calculator they say i should be 2400rpms but my truck my have a different gearing from what they are putting into the calculator. 4.56 will probably drop 150 rpm @ 80 i think. I am leaning towards going to 4.10s. I love the torque and throttle response but it on the interstate it’s too much. Kind of wish their was a 4.30 option.

Sponsored

Adronm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 f150 xlt powerboost
So after having the 4.88 gears i have decided that it’s too short. I am at 2600 rpms at 80Mph. I have talked to nitro and Yukon and for some reason in their calculator they say i should be 2400rpms but my truck my have a different gearing from what they are putting into the calculator. 4.56 will probably drop 150 rpm @ 80 i think. I am leaning towards going to 4.10s. I love the torque and throttle response but it on the interstate it’s too much. Kind of wish their was a 4.30 option.
thanks for the info! I’m a little ways off from my mods to keep me posted if you end up changing to the 4.10s!

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0
Occupation
Making lego parts for new vehicles
10 speed and torque plus 35's equal 4 10's. I've run anemic jeep 3.6's on 35's with 3.73 gears.

Adronm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 f150 xlt powerboost
Not to derail the thread but how do you like the BDS lift? How is the ride compared to stock?

OP
OP

Burly

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not to derail the thread but how do you like the BDS lift? How is the ride compared to stock?
I really like the BDS lift. Little bit of rubbing on the -18 offset but a little more trimming and I’m sure it would fix it.

the fox 2.0 shocks ride nice. I have no complaints.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Do you need the dealership to do a gear swap because of the electric power steering or can any capable off-road shop do the gear swap?
Sponsored