Sponsored

Locking Diff 3.55 Gears on 4x2 - Any help during snow?

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
I am liking the only guy in NJ that buys 2wd drive trucks but I don't see a huge need as I keep my boat in a slip and when it snows I let them clear the street before I head out. That being said, I saw an on the lot southern F150 with 3.55 gears with electronic locking diff. I know it is not 4wd by a long shot but if I parallel park into a spot that has some snow in it and did get stuck - is the locking diff helpful?
Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Next to a limited slip differential like they used to offer the locking diff will save your bacon if one wheel starts to spin. I used mine fairly often last year to get out of deep snow ruts. But more often I’d use it on ice at stop signs to get started.

I’ve only ever had one vehicle (mustang) without some kind of rear locker and I will never buy one like that again!

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Locking differential is useful in all weather conditions. If you have one wheel up off the ground, your 2wd truck is now zero wheel drive.

I personally would never own another 2wd truck for many reasons unless I was given one. Though the one embarrassing time I got my last truck, a RWD, stuck trying to follow wheel dozer tracks on a jobsite; a locking diff would have saved me an hour’s work getting it unstuck in +100° weather.

There’s debate on whether an open differential, LSD, or locker/spool is better in snow and ice. The locker is good for pulling out or backing up in slippery stuff when you know that you’re likely to lose traction, however if you’re just tooling along and hit an especially icy patch in a turn, or on a slope, you’ll run the risk of losing the whole back end rather than just spinning a single tire. The electronic locker on the F150 turns off when you reach a certain speed but turns back on again and it takes a little bit of effort to get used to the different driving dynamics from it and several people have had trouble accidentally activating it in the dry.

I recommend it and used sparingly in certain conditions, it’s definitely useful. Especially when on a RWD only truck.

Good luck with your search!

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
I know a couple people around me that think 4wd is a waste of money when they can labor putting on chains and not going out (retirees). I would say for a 2wd that a locker would be a great idea, especially since they're SO cheap from the factory, have a nice switch, and integrated safety. The locker will automatically disable above 20mph.

I've been in a buddy's 2wd truck with an open diff and Toyota's "E-Loc" and got stuck on a single patch of ice. Couldn't go forward up the hill, couldn't back up into the snow. A 400hp Tundra was stuck because of an open diff.

I would personally never buy a truck that isn't 4wd, unless it was something sporty. But if I WERE, I would absolutely get the locker.

Towking

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 powerboost
Occupation
Repair
I live in ct and have owned 2wd trucks for the last 22 years. Good tires weight in the bed and be smart. I saved 4000$ by ordering 2wd for my powerboat but do not intend to drive it on salty roads. My 97 f150 2wd is for that. Locker is a good asset but snow tires are the absolute best. Might be better than worn 20” wheels with 4wd.

Sponsored

BLWNBYU

First Name
MATT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 502A PowerBoost 22 Camry AWD XSE 97 Cobra
Occupation
INSPECTOR
You do NOT want to use the locking differential in Motion on slippery roads. Limited slip or even open differential are better because they keep your whole ass end from sliding off the road. I would only use the locker to get moving if you're stuck. Other than that, keep it turned off.

Sirtate

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 302a
Occupation
Real Estate Sales
I have a 4WD with a locker...
The locker does most of what I need to keep moving in the snow we get off the Great Lakes in Ontario.
I used 4WD once for about 2 minutes last winter, and that was only because it was snow on top of mud (that i didn't see because of the snow) and i started to dig in...

Snow and Ice on pavement is locker territory... I pop the button as I roll up to a suspect Stop Sign or intersection and it gets me rolling out the other side.

However, I don't use it on curves or lateral slopes because it will cause crow-hopping at best and spinning out at worst. (those would be better for 4WD alone)...

When both the locker and 4WD are engaged, the truck is unstoppable. Even with All-Season highway tires.
Sponsored