Upgrading to larger fuel tank 2021 F-150

lovemath

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 '21, '18 & '16
I am just sick! I was at the dealer all day debating between trucks. Then the deal on another truck fell through, so it was added into the mix. After several hours of comparing and contrasting which one was the best for me, I pulled the trigger on one with a 3.5L Powerboost. I asked about low "miles to empty" # and was told it was because it only had 9 miles on it. I came home happy as a clam and went through everything again and realized that it did NOT have the larger gas tank!!!!!!! This is my FIFTH F-150; the smaller tank would have been a deal-breaker for me. I don't know how I missed it!!! Any idea if it can be switched out and about what the cost would be???? There is zero chance that I can do this, so I will most likely bring it to Ford.
Sponsored

AccentedWanderer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 5.5. 2018 Audi Q5
I am just sick! I was at the dealer all day debating between trucks. Then the deal on another truck fell through, so it was added into the mix. After several hours of comparing and contrasting which one was the best for me, I pulled the trigger on one with a 3.5L Powerboost. I asked about low "miles to empty" # and was told it was because it only had 9 miles on it. I came home happy as a clam and went through everything again and realized that it did NOT have the larger gas tank!!!!!!! This is my FIFTH F-150; the smaller tank would have been a deal-breaker for me. I don't know how I missed it!!! Any idea if it can be switched out and about what the cost would be???? There is zero chance that I can do this, so I will most likely bring it to Ford.

I am sure this wont be that big of a deal eventually. Just want for some aftermarket brand's new product such as transferflow's 45 gallon f150 tank (though for 15-20 model only) eventually.

USAFordW1E

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum SC PowerBoost
Occupation
AFJROTC Aerospace Science Instructor
Just like you, I am on my 4th F150 since 2012. My previous F150s had extended-range fuel tanks. My newest truck is the PowerB0ost with 30.6 gallons. This is the largest tank you can get in the PowerBoost. I was so used to having the larger tank for towing, but it is not that much different. When I am not towing, I find that I am filling up every other week as I usually did and I am getting better MPG (6+ more than 2018). At first, I thought it was going to be a big deal, but in application, I am filling up no more than I was with the extra 4.4 gallons. I typically get 650-680 MTE.

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
I am sure this wont be that big of a deal eventually. Just want for some aftermarket brand's new product such as transferflow's 45 gallon f150 tank (though for 15-20 model only) eventually.
Not sure about tank upgrade . Is your tank 30 gallons?

Ive seen but not purchased rack systems for inside bed that carry at least 5 gallon fuel cans that are rectangular and mount just off floor behind wheel well. Thaat would be my work around if i needed big fuel reserve for off road

Northern Goat

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Audi Etron. 2020 Explorer ST
I didn’t think the power boost could fit a larger tank since the batteries use that space. Isn’t the theory that you wouldn’t need the larger tank due to electric assist?

Sponsored

remtiwk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Powerboost does not support the 36 gallon tank. I have a Powerboost and it has not been a problem at all. 600 miles to the tank is doable depending on how you drive

RJL1400

First Name
Big Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
formerly had 2008 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
retired
I believe you have 3 days to change your mind on a purchase and if the dealer misrepresented the tank you would have a valid argument

OP
OP
lovemath

lovemath

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 '21, '18 & '16
Just like you, I am on my 4th F150 since 2012. My previous F150s had extended-range fuel tanks. My newest truck is the PowerB0ost with 30.6 gallons. This is the largest tank you can get in the PowerBoost. I was so used to having the larger tank for towing, but it is not that much different. When I am not towing, I find that I am filling up every other week as I usually did and I am getting better MPG (6+ more than 2018). At first, I thought it was going to be a big deal, but in application, I am filling up no more than I was with the extra 4.4 gallons. I typically get 650-680 MTE.
That is good to hear. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
lovemath

lovemath

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 '21, '18 & '16
I believe you have 3 days to change your mind on a purchase and if the dealer misrepresented the tank you would have a valid argument
I don't but I think you could easily make the argument that it wasn't on the window tag and it was my responsibility to look at it. The problem is that I looked at so many in such detail that when this one suddenly became available I honed in on that it had all of the combinations of options that I wanted. All of the others had the larger tank so after trying to figure out which was the better fit the larger tank wasn't an option that was on my radar. :(

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
Some people here have added the 36 gal tank to their 5.0s....the 36 gal tank has a 5 gal reserve now, so you're never going to put more than 30-31 gallons into it (the DTE will read 0 miles). With a 31 gal tank, you're not missing much, not enough to spend the time or money swapping in the larger tank to not even be able to use all of the fuel.

Sponsored

RJL1400

First Name
Big Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
formerly had 2008 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
retired
I don't but I think you could easily make the argument that it wasn't on the window tag and it was my responsibility to look at it. The problem is that I looked at so many in such detail that when this one suddenly became available I honed in on that it had all of the combinations of options that I wanted. All of the others had the larger tank so after trying to figure out which was the better fit the larger tank wasn't an option that was on my radar. :(
If you signed for it (finance) I believe they give you a 3 day buyers remorse. I would hit them up with that, see what they say, maybe they will give you a few dollars off, who knows? Gas here in upstate NY is 3.47 so when I fill up I am spending 50-60. I have an xlt crew cab sport and that is about all the money I want to spend for gas at one time.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Given that the OP got the Powerboost, there is only one option for fuel tank size. I have yet to have any range anxiety with mine. The only people I've seen that could use the larger tank were towing, and even then those extra few gallons aren't getting you far.

OP, if you like EVERYTHING else about the truck, why is the fuel tank size such an issue? Given the current state of the auto market, the only way to get everything you're looking for is to order it and wait 4-6 months most likely. You're going to have to comprise somewhere if you're looking for an off the lot vehicle regardless of brand.