Sponsored

Trailer light test

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
Sometimes, after hooking up one of my two trailers, (both have named profiles) selecting the trailer profile, and selecting "trailer light check", I get nothing, just a message that I should visit my local dealer.
Other times it works just fine.
Seems like a small thing so I haven't put a lot of effort into getting it resolved yet, just wondering if others have seen this and how common it might be.
'22 XLT 302A (think I got the 'high' package number right) with tow package.
Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Not with trailer light check. But, I had that message pop up for OnBoard Scales and SmartHitch.
Is this message popping up on the 21" dash display or on the FordPass app?

OP
OP

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
Not with trailer light check. But, I had that message pop up for OnBoard Scales and SmartHitch.
Is this message popping up on the 21" dash display or on the FordPass app?
For me, it shows up on the center display. I ask it to start running the trailer light check, it thinks about it for a few seconds, and then tells me it can't do it and I should talk to the dealer.

Reactions: 780

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
I haven't had any issues with the trailer light check, only with trailer brakes failing to activate (even after passing the trailer light check).

I think the pins in the 7 pin receptacle are too thin and don't work well with some trailer plugs; ford has issued a few software updates for the trailer brake issue, but it didn't fix it for me.

If it only happens with one of the trailers, see what you can do about tightening the contacts (I used a small pick to tighten the contact on my trailer plug and widen the pins on the truck side of the plug; also cleaned the contacts with electrical cleaner and added dielectric grease). The combination improved the fit of the connectors noticeably. (the same trailer plug fit much more snug / secure when plugged into my 2017 RAM... this is why I think it's the thin pins in the ford receptacle)

It could also be a loose connections elsewhere in the wiring harness / connectors.. but that is less likely if it only happens with one of two trailers. I'm not sure how helpful the dealer will be if its not consistently reproducible, but they can make sure your software is fully updated.
Sponsored