Trailer brake question

Kimpot

First Name
Arcadio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I have a 2021 F150 XL trim with factory installed trailer brake controller.

First time towing a camper with the truck, set up gain settings accordingly from the manual, trailer brake output monitor on dash will light up when I manually compress the controller but output monitor will NOT light up when I step on the truck brake pedal.

I tried to test on several scenario, parked, moving in different speed up to 65mph, same thing, output monitor will only light up when trailer brake is compressed manually but nothing when braking with the truck pedal. So I am not sure if the trailer brake is really activated when i stepped on the truck brake because output is not lighting up.

Brought to dealer, checked, said all electrical seems working when they test. Asked me to refer to the truck manual book.

Please help

Thanks
Sponsored

Jdsnowman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4
Occupation
General Manager
I have a 2021 F150 XL trim with factory installed trailer brake controller.

First time towing a camper with the truck, set up gain settings accordingly from the manual, trailer brake output monitor on dash will light up when I manually compress the controller but output monitor will NOT light up when I step on the truck brake pedal.

I tried to test on several scenario, parked, moving in different speed up to 65mph, same thing, output monitor will only light up when trailer brake is compressed manually but nothing when braking with the truck pedal. So I am not sure if the trailer brake is really activated when i stepped on the truck brake because output is not lighting up.

Brought to dealer, checked, said all electrical seems working when they test. Asked me to refer to the truck manual book.

Please help

Thanks
Mine does the same thing. I think it is normal because it works when I'm actually stopping. I believe the accelerometer is used to determine how much braking is needed. This is overridden when using the manual control.

OP
OP

Kimpot

First Name
Arcadio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Mine does the same thing. I think it is normal because it works when I'm actually stopping. I believe the accelerometer is used to determine how much braking is needed. This is overridden when using the manual control.
I appreciate your response.

Does it mean that the output meter will only light up when you compress the trailer brake controller manually and will not light up when we step on the truck brake?

Jdsnowman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4
Occupation
General Manager
I appreciate your response.

Does it mean that the output meter will only light up when you compress the trailer brake controller manually and will not light up when we step on the truck brake?
First, I am not an expert, just another truck owner, but I found that the indicator did light up when the truck thought it needed to apply the trailer brakes, based on how hard I was stopping. For example, with an empty trailer, and an easy stop, the truck didn't apply any trailer braking, but with a dump trailer full of 4 tons of stone, the truck did apply more braking, and I could see it on the indicator. The harder I stopped, the more braking it applied and the higher the gain on the indicator. With the manual control, it seems that it applies whatever you ask it to, regardless of any other factors. It fact, the manual control can lock up the trailer tires if you ask it to.

OP
OP

Kimpot

First Name
Arcadio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
First, I am not an expert, just another truck owner, but I found that the indicator did light up when the truck thought it needed to apply the trailer brakes, based on how hard I was stopping. For example, with an empty trailer, and an easy stop, the truck didn't apply any trailer braking, but with a dump trailer full of 4 tons of stone, the truck did apply more braking, and I could see it on the indicator. The harder I stopped, the more braking it applied and the higher the gain on the indicator. With the manual control, it seems that it applies whatever you ask it to, regardless of any other factors. It fact, the manual control can lock up the trailer tires if you ask it to.
Thank you so much

I appreciate your input
Sponsored