Sponsored

Trailer brake gain resets to zero on start up

BluePB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
2023 with max tow package, factory brake controller, backup assist. Been towing the same trailer with it since May. I did all of the trailer set up stuff including calibrating the backup assist. For this trailer, I use brake effort set to medium and gain set to 5.0. For the first few times towing, if stopped and restarted with the trailer connected (say, to stop for gas), the brake gain would stay set at the last setting (5.0) as you would expect. Without having changed anything (that I know of), suddenly now every time I turn off the truck and start back up (with the trailer still connected), the brake gain comes up at 0.0 and I have to reset it to 5.0 before I start driving again. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks.
Sponsored

PrairiePete

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Don't know if this is the same problem. My truck reverted to the default trailer settings for some unknown reason. Once I figured out what happened I reselected my customized trailer settings and things went back to normalish.

OP
OP

BluePB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
The correct trailer is selected and it does not remember the gain setting after powering off and back on again.

KTM753

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL
Did your truck software update recently?

OP
OP

BluePB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Not sure. How could I tell if there was a software update? Also, not sure if this is a related issue -- the trailer mileage feature is also not working, although I think this has not been working longer than the gain resetting to zero problem has been happening. The trailer mileage for this trailer shows 76 miles, and best guess the actual mileage towed is maybe around 800. I have triple checked that while I am towing, the correct trailer is set as the active.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BluePB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
So Ford has declared that the gain resetting to zero every time I power off to be "normal". If its "normal", is this what everyone is experiencing? And when I first started towing with it, the gain setting would not reset to zero and instead would remember the last setting like every person on the planet would expect. So was that abnormal?

I'm annoyed and spouting off a little. To be fair, I have a service appointment next week to "reload some modules" to see if that fixes some of the other trailer feature glitches I am having. After that we are taking the camper for a road trip so we'll have a good test to see if anything is improved.

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
Mine doesn’t reset to 0. My horse trailer is set as the default and the gain goes to my 6 setting. Going back to 0 every time makes no sense. Why even have different trailer profiles if that’s the case?

KTM753

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL
Yeah, mine does not reset the gain to zero either. I can unhook my trailer and not use it for a week. Then when I hook it back up, gain is where I left it. But I have a trailer profile saved for it. And my software isn't up to date either. I was told I am 1.5 years behind on my Power Up updates.

I wonder if I could see the software version in my trailer module with Forscan?

OP
OP

BluePB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
So by coincidence (I think), an update got pushed to my truck last night, and today I received an alert in the Ford app that I am now on "Ford Power-Up 4.2.2.1" Be interesting to see what that does when I have time to test it out.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Mine does not reset. Some other features do (towing nav comes to mind), but not braking gain.

Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
21 job 1 and I don't own a trailer with brakes. I borrow my buddy's dump trailer and every time I use it, which may be months apart ,as long as I tell the truck it's the dump trailer all the settings are there , nothing has changed.

OP
OP

BluePB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I think next to try is delete the trailer profile and create a new one.
Sponsored