Sponsored

The hits keep coming with my 2022 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost 7 months in.

darioa

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the recommendation, Phil Long is about 48min away from me, I'll pass 6 other Ford Dealerships/Service Centers on the way (Sill-TerHar Motors, O'Meara Ford, Rush Medium Duty Truck Center, Larry H. Miller Ford Lakewood, Schomp Ford, Barbee's Freeway Ford) but if you recommend them, I'll have to consider them for when I unfortunately but inevitably will need to take my truck back in for the next batch of issues I have, or at least get some of those annoyances actually addressed.
I've had many issues with my 2021 PW and they were all addressed by Sill-TerHar Motors. Some issues (usually software related) took weeks to fix. I'm hoping that after 1.5 years most of the bugs in my truck (and there were too many) have been addressed. The truck is fantastic when everything is working, but I just had to have the battery replaced. I was stranded twice, where I needed a boost.
Sponsored

loganlaporte

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Was 2021 F150 Powerboost now 2022 PB Platinum
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Eventually had mine replaced.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/transmission-powerboost.10125/

What I can tell you is with the speaker popping you need to access the BCM (passenger side A pillar footwell and disconect the big rectangle plug, wait 30 sec and replug in.)

You have your work cut out for you. Direct message me if you have any questions.

LCMM55

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
TLDR; I've had my 2022 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost for 7 months just under 15,000 miles and have had the following issues and have struggled to get dealerships to get to these fixed/fit them properly or even communicate with me). I have these broken down in quotes as I truly have no idea of their status as it's difficult to get clear answers and as I start listing problems it seems they get glazed over and apparently stop recording them as I get told that issues are missing from the work orders when I ask about them.

"Fixed"
-Sheered Axle Bolts (both from rear axle after about 10,000 miles)
-Steering Column Wiring Harness Recall
-Transmission Issues (hard shifting, skipping gears, loud noises at low speeds and in reverse)
-Parking Sensors going off when nothing is around vehicle
-Randomly unavailable front or rear sensors for cruise control or reversing

"Being Investigated"
-Heat issues (too strong 90 degree heat & heat on even when on 60 degrees AC)
-Wireless CarPlay taking long to connect or having to manually connect
-12V electrical system not responding properly causing remote features to be disabled and vehicle to be in deep sleep mode even after leaving engine bay battery on trickle charger to 100%

"Ignored"
-Loose Drivers Side A pillar body panel making noise
-Loose Passenger Side body panel by center console leading up to infotainment making noise
-Power folding mirrors make horrible grinding noise when going in or out after about 2-3 months of ownership
-Slow leak in 1 tire (never addressed during oil change/tire rotation/sheered rear axle bolt replacement)
-Screen Resets while driving (both digital dashboard (so no speedometer while driving) and infotainment screen)
-Speaker Pop / Buzz (deafening pop and buzz noise happened 3 times for me only resolved by shutting truck off and leaving it off for 10 minutes)
-Rust underneath (sadly seems to be common on the 14th gen F-150's, I thought this would be fixed for the 2022 models but apparently not the case)
-Sounds like wind noise from the sunroof at times, I’ve had to check to make sure it wasn’t open
-passenger window sometimes screech when lowering/raising

Long version:

I bought outright my 2022 F-150 Platinum with PowerBoost and Max Tow Package on April 1, 2022 and it was delivered about a week later. I had a few minor issues like the screens shutting off while driving to reboot (terrifying at first losing your speedometer as you're driving down the road), deafening speaker pop & static, randomly unavailable backup or forward sensors for cruise control and reversing, low tire pressure in 1 tire, body panel on drivers side A pillar loose and making rattling noise, body panel on passenger side of center stack leading to center console loose and making rattling noise, power folding mirrors make horrible noise when folding in or out. I also had a recall for the steering column wiring harness possibly being too short days after receiving my truck but never had issues so I didn't worry about that. Nothing too serious until August, I had just gotten back from a cross country road trip about 5000+ miles and needed an oil change as I was around 10,000 miles. despite having some issues I still loved the truck. I took it into a different dealership than I bought it from because they had immediate availability for an oil change. I waited over 2 hours for them to get to my truck as they apparently overbook for their QuickLane service, and when I thought I was finally getting called up to pick up my truck they told me they needed to show me something. My rear axle bolts had sheered off. I was told they'd be doing diagnostics and making sure there were no other issues with any other systems and it may take a few days, so they'd give me a loaner vehicle. Fast forward another 2 hours and I'm driving away in a 2022 Ford EcoSport which is terribly underpowered and was dangerous to drive in.

I needed to call multiple times a day and leave messages every time to see if there was any updates on my truck since I was getting 0 communication. After about a week and a half I finally got an answer that they were going to check the axle and transmission to see if there was any additional damage (something they told me they were going to be doing "tomorrow" when they showed me the sheered axle bolts). I had then gotten a missed call when I was at the gym to call back about an update, 2 days later I was finally able to get ahold of someone who said they were going to be getting the axle bolts in and I should have my truck back the next day. I never got a call back about the status of my truck until 5:30pm when they were closing up to let me know they were needing to take the axle to a machine shop to drill out the axle bolts, again something they told me they'd be doing "tomorrow" when they first showed me the sheered axle bolts. I luckily got my truck back after 2 weeks (I say luckily because they were able to get replacement axle bolts from another dealer and if they hadn’t there was a few months backorder I was told they were using parts in new vehicles and didn’t have enough parts for service of vehicles which sounds like a serious logistics issue to put all parts in new vehicles but not have parts for servicing your vehicles), that's when my issues truly began with my truck.

I had a horrible stink in my truck when I got into it like really bad rancid BO (think the Seinfeld episode Beyond BO) It seemed like it was coming from the AC so I had to drive it home with the windows down and AC off. Once home I let it run with the AC on full blast and the windows down for about 15 minutes and then it seemed like the smell was gone.

I also noticed it shifting kinda weird, as if it was slamming gears and making loud noises at low speeds like a clicking, grinding noise. I was told by my girlfriend that when reversing it was making a horrible noise as well. I notice it would often skip gears which shifting up or down. Also despite rotating my tires and having them off for 2 weeks they never fixed my tire with a leak despite that being one of the things they mention they check and fix with an oil change and tire rotation. I unfortunately got swamped and couldn't take my truck back in right away. I did notice despite always using Premium gas, my avg fuel economy went from 22+ MPG down to 20MPG despite no change in my driving, I can only assume is due to the odd shifting behavior as this is the average of nearly 15,000 miles.

It started getting colder out here in Colorado and I used the heat for the first time which was unbearably hot, even with the heat set to LOW or 60 degrees and the fan speed at 1 we had to put the windows down and I needed to put the AC on because it was probably about 90 degrees in the truck within a minute or 2. The weird thing is that even with the AC on heat was still pouring into the cabin, as this was my first time using the heat I didn't realize that it came in through different vents than the AC. I tried using the heat a few times to see if it was a fluke, but every time the same situation would happen.

I also had the parking sensors going off while driving or when in the middle of an empty parking lot with nothing around me. I also noticed the wireless apple CarPlay starting to take a long time to connect to my phone over a minute and half the time I'd be 5 minutes into my drive and it still hadn't connected but as soon as I clicked on my phone from the list of phones it'd connect right away.

I most recently got back from Thanksgiving and finally was able to get an appointment to get these issues looked into on Saturday; however I got a call they wouldn't be able to get to my truck for 2-3 days because they didn't have service techs in on Saturdays which I clarified 2-3 days from Saturday or 2-3 days from when they do have techs in, they admitted it would be 2-3 days once the techs were in so I could bring it in on Monday rather than Saturday so I would have it over the weekend.

On Sunday my phone was blowing up from Ford Pass saying remote features unavailable that the truck was in deep sleep. I went out to check out what was going on and the truck wouldn't unlock until I was right next to it. I had nothing on the screens not even the odometer like normal. I turned it on and the screens slowly turned on and a 12V system low warning popped up on my dashboard. I drove the truck around for awhile so the alternator could charge up the battery, but every time I stopped and shut off the truck it would go back into deep sleep mode to conserve battery life. I tried hooking up a jump pack but it would not work because it thought the battery was too low. I then hooked up my trickle charger which said the battery was at about 50%. I left it hooked up overnight and woke up to many additional warnings that remote features were disabled and it was in deep sleep. I went outside and saw it was showing 100% battery charge but the same symptoms remained, I wasn't sure if this meant the issue was with the 12v battery under the rear seat which I hadn't gotten to before I had to take it into the dealership.

I mentioned all of this on Monday when I brought my truck in and was told they might need an extra day since there was so much to look into. I was not offered a loaner vehicle as there was a waiting list for loaner vehicles. I've been having to drive my friend to and from work so I can borrow their car. I didn't hear anything from the dealership all week so I called today 5 days into them having my truck, and had to leave a message. Luckily about 30 minutes later I got a call saying that they were looking into getting me a status update and would call me back shortly with an update. However they only updated me on the transmission which they said this is a known issue with Ford and they followed the service builtin and they reset the transmission to factory settings, and if I still have issues after a few thousand miles they'll investigate the transmission further, and my truck should be ready to pickup shortly. I asked about all the other issues and they said that half weren't on the work sheet but they'd ask the tech (despite me telling this all when I dropped it off and was read off everything and told they'd get it figure out). They called me back 30 minutes later to let me know they had checked and cleaned the parking sensors and they were within spec and may have just gotten dirty. They had fixed the recall steering column wiring, and wanted to know more about my heat and electrical issues. They then called back later saying the tech didn't notice anything wrong with the AC and that they would check the battery under the rear seat and get back to me shortly. After waiting 5 hours, I had to call again as the service department would be closing in about 30 minutes and it takes that long to get there. They told me the service tech wanted to see if he could keep my truck to keep looking into the heating and electrical issues on Monday. He said he could give me my truck back today but I'd still have the Heat and 12V electrical issues and would have to bring it back in anyways. So I asked again about a loaner as Monday will have been 7 days without a vehicle, I was told there was a long wait list for loaner vehicles and that he’d have my truck back to me before he’d have a loaner vehicle for me.

This has been 2 different dealerships now who I've had to stay on top of for updates and it sounds like I'm likely to still have some of these issues on a 7 month old truck with less than 15,000 miles on it. To have this laundry list of issues after 7 months on a brand new vehicle, I bought outright which was not cheap, has really had me reconsidering my purchase as I can't keep going weeks without my vehicle hoping the issues will be resolved and spend hours trying to get ahold of the service departments to get clear answers and getting my truck back with new issues. Having this many issues 7 months in does not give me confidence in my future with this truck, I think I have a lemon which is sad because I loved this truck but now I can't enjoy it because of all of the issues and wondering what I'm going to be dealing with next.
Invoke the lemon law soon!!!!!!!!!

ScottsXLT

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
TLDR; I've had my 2022 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost for 7 months just under 15,000 miles and have had the following issues and have struggled to get dealerships to get to these fixed/fit them properly or even communicate with me). I have these broken down in quotes as I truly have no idea of their status as it's difficult to get clear answers and as I start listing problems it seems they get glazed over and apparently stop recording them as I get told that issues are missing from the work orders when I ask about them.

"Fixed"
-Transmission Issues (hard shifting, skipping gears, loud noises at low speeds and in reverse)

"Being Investigated"
-Heat issues (too strong 90 degree heat & heat on even when on 60 degrees AC)
-Wireless CarPlay taking long to connect or having to manually connect
-12V electrical system not responding properly causing remote features to be disabled and vehicle to be in deep sleep mode even after leaving engine bay battery on trickle charger to 100%

"Ignored"
-Loose Drivers Side A pillar body panel making noise
-Loose Passenger Side body panel by center console leading up to infotainment making noise
-Power folding mirrors make horrible grinding noise when going in or out after about 2-3 months of ownership
-Slow leak in 1 tire (never addressed during oil change/tire rotation/sheered rear axle bolt replacement)
-Screen Resets while driving (both digital dashboard (so no speedometer while driving) and infotainment screen)
-Speaker Pop / Buzz (deafening pop and buzz noise happened 3 times for me only resolved by shutting truck off and leaving it off for 10 minutes)
-Rust underneath (sadly seems to be common on the 14th gen F-150's, I thought this would be fixed for the 2022 models but apparently not the case)
-Sounds like wind noise from the sunroof at times, I’ve had to check to make sure it wasn’t open
-passenger window sometimes screech when lowering/raising

Long version:

I bought outright my 2022 F-150 Platinum with PowerBoost and Max Tow Package on April 1, 2022 and it was delivered about a week later. I had a few minor issues like the screens shutting off while driving to reboot (terrifying at first losing your speedometer as you're driving down the road), deafening speaker pop & static, randomly unavailable backup or forward sensors for cruise control and reversing, low tire pressure in 1 tire, body panel on drivers side A pillar loose and making rattling noise, body panel on passenger side of center stack leading to center console loose and making rattling noise, power folding mirrors make horrible noise when folding in or out. I also had a recall for the steering column wiring harness possibly being too short days after receiving my truck but never had issues so I didn't worry about that. Nothing too serious until August, I had just gotten back from a cross country road trip about 5000+ miles and needed an oil change as I was around 10,000 miles. despite having some issues I still loved the truck. I took it into a different dealership than I bought it from because they had immediate availability for an oil change. I waited over 2 hours for them to get to my truck as they apparently overbook for their QuickLane service, and when I thought I was finally getting called up to pick up my truck they told me they needed to show me something. My rear axle bolts had sheered off. I was told they'd be doing diagnostics and making sure there were no other issues with any other systems and it may take a few days, so they'd give me a loaner vehicle. Fast forward another 2 hours and I'm driving away in a 2022 Ford EcoSport which is terribly underpowered and was dangerous to drive in.

I needed to call multiple times a day and leave messages every time to see if there was any updates on my truck since I was getting 0 communication. After about a week and a half I finally got an answer that they were going to check the axle and transmission to see if there was any additional damage (something they told me they were going to be doing "tomorrow" when they showed me the sheered axle bolts). I had then gotten a missed call when I was at the gym to call back about an update, 2 days later I was finally able to get ahold of someone who said they were going to be getting the axle bolts in and I should have my truck back the next day. I never got a call back about the status of my truck until 5:30pm when they were closing up to let me know they were needing to take the axle to a machine shop to drill out the axle bolts, again something they told me they'd be doing "tomorrow" when they first showed me the sheered axle bolts. I luckily got my truck back after 2 weeks (I say luckily because they were able to get replacement axle bolts from another dealer and if they hadn’t there was a few months backorder I was told they were using parts in new vehicles and didn’t have enough parts for service of vehicles which sounds like a serious logistics issue to put all parts in new vehicles but not have parts for servicing your vehicles), that's when my issues truly began with my truck.

I had a horrible stink in my truck when I got into it like really bad rancid BO (think the Seinfeld episode Beyond BO) It seemed like it was coming from the AC so I had to drive it home with the windows down and AC off. Once home I let it run with the AC on full blast and the windows down for about 15 minutes and then it seemed like the smell was gone.

I also noticed it shifting kinda weird, as if it was slamming gears and making loud noises at low speeds like a clicking, grinding noise. I was told by my girlfriend that when reversing it was making a horrible noise as well. I notice it would often skip gears which shifting up or down. Also despite rotating my tires and having them off for 2 weeks they never fixed my tire with a leak despite that being one of the things they mention they check and fix with an oil change and tire rotation. I unfortunately got swamped and couldn't take my truck back in right away. I did notice despite always using Premium gas, my avg fuel economy went from 22+ MPG down to 20MPG despite no change in my driving, I can only assume is due to the odd shifting behavior as this is the average of nearly 15,000 miles.

It started getting colder out here in Colorado and I used the heat for the first time which was unbearably hot, even with the heat set to LOW or 60 degrees and the fan speed at 1 we had to put the windows down and I needed to put the AC on because it was probably about 90 degrees in the truck within a minute or 2. The weird thing is that even with the AC on heat was still pouring into the cabin, as this was my first time using the heat I didn't realize that it came in through different vents than the AC. I tried using the heat a few times to see if it was a fluke, but every time the same situation would happen.

I also had the parking sensors going off while driving or when in the middle of an empty parking lot with nothing around me. I also noticed the wireless apple CarPlay starting to take a long time to connect to my phone over a minute and half the time I'd be 5 minutes into my drive and it still hadn't connected but as soon as I clicked on my phone from the list of phones it'd connect right away.

I most recently got back from Thanksgiving and finally was able to get an appointment to get these issues looked into on Saturday; however I got a call they wouldn't be able to get to my truck for 2-3 days because they didn't have service techs in on Saturdays which I clarified 2-3 days from Saturday or 2-3 days from when they do have techs in, they admitted it would be 2-3 days once the techs were in so I could bring it in on Monday rather than Saturday so I would have it over the weekend.

On Sunday my phone was blowing up from Ford Pass saying remote features unavailable that the truck was in deep sleep. I went out to check out what was going on and the truck wouldn't unlock until I was right next to it. I had nothing on the screens not even the odometer like normal. I turned it on and the screens slowly turned on and a 12V system low warning popped up on my dashboard. I drove the truck around for awhile so the alternator could charge up the battery, but every time I stopped and shut off the truck it would go back into deep sleep mode to conserve battery life. I tried hooking up a jump pack but it would not work because it thought the battery was too low. I then hooked up my trickle charger which said the battery was at about 50%. I left it hooked up overnight and woke up to many additional warnings that remote features were disabled and it was in deep sleep. I went outside and saw it was showing 100% battery charge but the same symptoms remained, I wasn't sure if this meant the issue was with the 12v battery under the rear seat which I hadn't gotten to before I had to take it into the dealership.

I mentioned all of this on Monday when I brought my truck in and was told they might need an extra day since there was so much to look into. I was not offered a loaner vehicle as there was a waiting list for loaner vehicles. I've been having to drive my friend to and from work so I can borrow their car. I didn't hear anything from the dealership all week so I called today 5 days into them having my truck, and had to leave a message. Luckily about 30 minutes later I got a call saying that they were looking into getting me a status update and would call me back shortly with an update. However they only updated me on the transmission which they said this is a known issue with Ford and they followed the service builtin and they reset the transmission to factory settings, and if I still have issues after a few thousand miles they'll investigate the transmission further, and my truck should be ready to pickup shortly. I asked about all the other issues and they said that half weren't on the work sheet but they'd ask the tech (despite me telling this all when I dropped it off and was read off everything and told they'd get it figure out). They called me back 30 minutes later to let me know they had checked and cleaned the parking sensors and they were within spec and may have just gotten dirty. They had fixed the recall steering column wiring, and wanted to know more about my heat and electrical issues. They then called back later saying the tech didn't notice anything wrong with the AC and that they would check the battery under the rear seat and get back to me shortly. After waiting 5 hours, I had to call again as the service department would be closing in about 30 minutes and it takes that long to get there. They told me the service tech wanted to see if he could keep my truck to keep looking into the heating and electrical issues on Monday. He said he could give me my truck back today but I'd still have the Heat and 12V electrical issues and would have to bring it back in anyways. So I asked again about a loaner as Monday will have been 7 days without a vehicle, I was told there was a long wait list for loaner vehicles and that he’d have my truck back to me before he’d have a loaner vehicle for me.

This has been 2 different dealerships now who I've had to stay on top of for updates and it sounds like I'm likely to still have some of these issues on a 7 month old truck with less than 15,000 miles on it. To have this laundry list of issues after 7 months on a brand new vehicle, I bought outright which was not cheap, has really had me reconsidering my purchase as I can't keep going weeks without my vehicle hoping the issues will be resolved and spend hours trying to get ahold of the service departments to get clear answers and getting my truck back with new issues. Having this many issues 7 months in does not give me confidence in my future with this truck, I think I have a lemon which is sad because I loved this truck but now I can't enjoy it because of all of the issues and wondering what I'm going to be dealing with next.

ScottsXLT

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Sorry to hear about that. That really does suck. I read something about where you place the negative cable when you trickle charge your truck. If you go straight off the post the “the super smart smart truck” sensor does not know the battery is charging even though it got fully charged. I think the truck needs 8 hours of not being used to reset. Check this out. This is for a 2019 but might address why it didn’t know it had a fully charged battery.

Sponsored

redline

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150, BMW X5, BMW M3,
Occupation
Sales

"Fixed"
what did they fix with parking sensors ? I have been having some issues with the front sensors but there been a lot of snow and ice so I am not sure if that is the issue or not

OP
OP

xaero

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Powerboost
what did they fix with parking sensors ? I have been having some issues with the front sensors but there been a lot of snow and ice so I am not sure if that is the issue or not
I don't know that they "fixed" anything with the parking sensors. They claimed they cleaned them and they are reporting within spec so no issues to be found, that they were likely just dirty sensors.

However I cleaned my truck myself very throughly before dropping it off, so I don't how they possibly could have been dirty as I cleaned and dried everything by hand so it was immaculate to avoid that exact excuse that "oh it's not working because it's dirty". I have dealt with enough dirty parking sensors to know that can be an issue which is why I always cleaned them as soon as i'd get an error message or it'd act up, yet it'd continue to act up randomly which is why I wanted it checked out. I know i've more so had the front sensor go out on me from snow build up, and I've had the rear sensor for reversing notify me that it stop responding when there was snow build up, but usually after just brushing the snow out of the way this was fine. But the parking sensors have gone off in every kind of weather condition including clear 70 degree days when i'm going down the highway or pulling into the middle of a 2 lane driveway with nothing within 8+ feet of the truck. That was the annoying thing that they're going off when nothing is around or when something is around but not close and you can't tell (I was leaving a concert and it was screaming at me and red that the vehicle 1 spot over, not next to me, was too close and that I was going to hit it)

Unfortunately EVERY issue, I brought it in for at this visit for Priority doesn't actually seem to have been addressed.
- Recall for DEPLOYABLE COLUMN CONNECTOR WIRING HARNESS TAKEOUT LENGTH INSPECTION
("fix" we addressed that, yet my account still shows it every time I log in, and I continue to get emails about this)
- Parking Sensors ("fix" Oh, we cleaned them, they're working fine)
- Transmission Issues (there are known issues with the 10R80 transmission)( "fix" Oh we reset it, drive it a few thousand miles and then let us know if you're still having issues)
Heating issues ("fix" Oh, we reset it, it should be working fine now)
12V electrical system ("fix" Oh we reset it, we're charging your truck up now, yet i've been continuing to get notifications over the past 2 days, even after all of my notifications were deleted from my account without my authorization, that "Remote features disable to preserve battery" I have 5 of these from the past 2 days including 2 I received nearly 3 hours after I got a call that they fixed the issue and it should be ready to be picked up by end of the day today)

I seriously have doubts that I will have my truck back within the next hour before their service department closes, let alone that i'll have my issues resolved. Also while writing this and checking on my truck I noticed that my TPMS is not reporting properly all of a sudden (it's showing -- for every tire in the ford pass app and shows 9502 for every tire online), my Oil Life also went from over 60% remaining to 0% remaining. So they're still "resetting systems" on my truck it would seem. I'm not sure why they would decide to reset my TPMS and Oil sensors, but they seem to be resetting everything else in hopes it magically fixes all mechanical and electrical issues 🤦‍♂️.

OP
OP

xaero

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I called the dealership, as they closed in about 30 minutes from when I called, as I never received the call I was told I would receive(not surprised as that's been my experience with Ford Service department for the past 4 months). I knew I'd need to get an Uber to get there before their service department closes, so I just wanted to verify my truck was still on schedule to be picked up before closing.

They told me that "They ended up testing the 12v batteries (after 9 days of having my truck) and both batteries tested bad, and they had to be replaced. However, they had to order the batteries, which are tracking to be in by end of day today, but the tech won't have time to install them until the morning". They said "There was an acid issue and a parasitic draw so both batteries were fried, but the good news is they figured out the issue and they'll have it back to me in the morning". I'm glad they FINALLY tested the batteries after 9 days of having my truck and me having expressed the issue in-depth with their service department 9 days ago, and again 4 days ago. So hours before planning on giving me my truck back claiming they'd fixed my electrical issues with a reset, they FINALLY tested the batteries and needed to replace them because they were fried.

This leading to yet another day at the dealership after being told initially
"this is a lot of stuff, to check out, this will take 2-3 days"
"well, we'll maybe need your vehicle for another day" day 1
"well we should have it back to you today" then later that day "oh, well we'll need it until Monday" day 5
"Oh we'll have it back to you today" the later today "Oh we'll have it back to you tomorrow" day 9

At least tomorrow my friend should be able to take me there, instead of needing to get an Uber, as it's their day off, but this has been getting close to a month, 23 days and counting (08/09/2022 - 08/20/2022 & 11/28/2022 - 12/07/2022?) without my truck since purchasing new in April.

I've looked up and Colorado Lemon Law states

"Under the law, a “reasonable number of attempts” to repair a defect applies when the same defect remains after it has been subject to repair four (4) or more times within the first year after the date of original delivery. It also applies when the vehicle is out of service for repairs for a cumulative total of thirty (30) or more business days during the warranty term or one year after original delivery, whichever comes first."

Looking at the business days i'm looking at 9 or 10 business days in August and 8+ business days currently so 17-18 business days, we'll have to see how this continues because at this rate i'm likely to hit 30 business days before the end of a year of ownership with another issue or 2 within the next 5 months 😞.

OP
OP

xaero

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I got my truck back today, day 10. First I'd like to say that they actually did fix at least 1 issue successfully, possibly 2. My heat for the first time is actually tolerable and it's for the first time coming through the same vents the AC comes through. So them just "resetting" my heater makes me think that if that's what successfully resolved the issue, it was configured incorrectly from the factory since it NEVER came through the adjustable vents on the sides of the infotainment system or on the ends of the dashboard. The heat previously came out through non adjustable vents on the sides of the dashboard where the dashboard meets the doors and the non adjustable vent by the windshield for the defrost.

My electrical so far also seems to be working, my truck didn't immediately go to deep sleep as soon as I shut off my truck, and I haven't in the past hour received notifications from the Ford Pass App that my remote features have been disabled.

I just had my friend listen to see if the truck is making noises when reversing and they said it's not making that noise any longer so that too is a pro.

Now for the bad/ugly

My transmission is still skipping even numbered gears frequently 1st to 3rd and then to 5th gear and shifting hard not as bad as before though when it like a 16 year old boy shifting like he's in fast and the furious. Also when shifting into reverse there's a still a fairly loud inside and hard THUNK that feels like the transmission dropped out of the vehicle when shifting into reverse. However my friend said it wasn't making the horrible noises it was before.

Parking sensors made NO noise but were dark red when I was pulling out of the dealership because they had very tight parking and I was right against that other vehicle, but the reverse sensors were beeping like crazy when green and I was far away from the vehicle behind me. I'm not too surprised they weren't working properly since my truck was FILTHY. It looked like it'd been driven through a salt bath, there's salt ALL over my truck even on the interior door jam on the drivers side, and there was bird poop all over the bed of my truck.

This is frustrating that I took it in immaculate and freshly cleaned but was told my sensors didn't work because they were dirty, so they cleaned them. But yet I get back my truck filthy being told the sensors work but they were still acting up 🤦‍♂️.

I was talking with the service guy who was acting so proud they replaced the battery and apologized for it taking so long. But as we walked to my truck and we went through all the issues and explained my frustration this was the discussion.

Ford Service - yeah but isn't it worth it, it's a pretty sick ride right?

Me - It was, but it's been in the shop for 23 days since I got it brand new in April.

Ford Service - Well it get's good fuel economy though that's gotta make it worth it?

Me - I had good fuel economy until I started having transmission issues in August, I was getting 22-24+ mpg consistently, but I'm lucky if I can get up to 20mpg because it was constantly shifting gears and was rarely going into Electrical mode.

Ford Service - Well you shouldn't have that issue anymore, we reset the transmission because there was a TSB for it.

Me - You know there's a Class action lawsuit against Ford for this 10R80 10 speed automatic transmission for 2017-2021 Ford vehicles right?

Ford Service - Well good thing yours is a 2022 right?

Me - No, because that just means that it was filed before the 2022 model year, if anything it's worse for me because my vehicle is left out.

Ford Service - Well hopefully your issues should be over, oh btw if you notice any leaking near the rear wheel there's a known exhaust leak issue and if it's just water your fine but if it's coolant bring it back in and we'll take care of it for you, just know that it'll take at least a week because Ford has a back order on that part and it'll take about a week.

Me - Good then i'll likely end up going over the 30 business days so I can legally have this declared a lemon.

Ford Service - Oh, so you're not happy with the truck?

Me - Not after having to constantly be dealing with issues and dealing with having it in for service so for long stretches especially without another vehicle for a vehicle I bought brand new from the factory only in April.

Ford Service - Well you'll have this with any new vehicle especially hybrids, you'll have some break in period where you're getting used to the vehicle and it's quirks and you might have a small issue or two come up from time to time.

Me - No, you should not have this with any new vehicle, a new vehicle should be reliable. there shouldn't need to be a break in period where you have components failing left and right, that's poor engineering. I'm over all these issues and have already begun looking at other vehicles because it seems like it's always something new going wrong with this truck and I can't rely on it.

Ford Service - Oh, is there another Ford Vehicle you're looking at?

Me - No

It was so frustrating that he just couldn't be honest with me and have a conversation and empathize all of the issues and headaches i've been dealing with on this new vehicle (except for disclosing the exhaust issue). It was like let me ignore everything you've been dealing with and keep pumping up how great Ford and your F-150 is. Also returning a vehicle that is filthy is just poor practice. I also brought up about my messages being deleted from my ford pass app and he acted surprised and asked if they did that and I said i'm not sure,I just know that on Friday they all disappeared and he dropped the subject and moved on. I also asked about the paperwork and was told they're still working on it so I'll get an email later or can stop by and pick up the paperwork later. So i'll for sure be needing to follow up on that.

I'll for sure be continuing to figure out the status of my truck and do more in-depth documentation of everything because I'm sure these issues aren't over with. I also uploaded pictures of how I got my truck back, it looks much worse in person without as much glare and reflection making the truck look cleaner in the pictures than it really is, It just happened to be a particularly nice and sunny day today. I also included some pictures of some of the rust that's already showing up under my truck.

Ford F-150 The hits keep coming with my 2022 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost 7 months in. IMG_2359

Ford F-150 The hits keep coming with my 2022 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost 7 months in. IMG_2361

Ford F-150 The hits keep coming with my 2022 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost 7 months in. IMG_2362

Ford F-150 The hits keep coming with my 2022 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost 7 months in. IMG_2360

Ford F-150 The hits keep coming with my 2022 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost 7 months in. IMG_2363

Ford F-150 The hits keep coming with my 2022 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost 7 months in. IMG_2378

Ford F-150 The hits keep coming with my 2022 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost 7 months in. IMG_2377

Ford F-150 The hits keep coming with my 2022 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost 7 months in. IMG_2376

roblectric

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F150 Limited - 2007 Shelby GT
Occupation
retired
I have been looking at used f150 hybrids on dealer lots here in W TN. Both were 2021 models with less than 2000 miles on them. Both had buyback titles. Ford has had hybrid vehicles for some time now and its a shame they mucked up the F150 version right out of the gate. I have changed my mind and will be looking for an F150 with the 5.0 Coyote motor.

I have a feeling that your problems are far from over with your truck. Make sure you keep all the paperwork from the service dept showing accurate drop off and pick up dates, repairs made. etc.
Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

xaero

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have been looking at used f150 hybrids on dealer lots here in W TN. Both were 2021 models with less than 2000 miles on them. Both had buyback titles. Ford has had hybrid vehicles for some time now and its a shame they mucked up the F150 version right out of the gate. I have changed my mind and will be looking for an F150 with the 5.0 Coyote motor.

I have a feeling that your problems are far from over with your truck. Make sure you keep all the paperwork from the service dept showing accurate drop off and pick up dates, repairs made. etc.
Good luck.
Thank you, i'm trying to keep documentation however a big source of my issues occurring with my truck were notifications from the Ford Pass App. I sadly had over 50+ error messages and warnings removed from my account without my authorization while my truck was in for service. I first messaged Ford's chat about it but they were far from helpful and I called their support then and explained the issue and my concern. I did have an extremely nice, helpful and understanding agent however they explained to me that they unfortunately don't have the ability to retrieve messages that are no longer on my account. She said honestly that the vast majority of calls are about login issues or other difficulties with settings. She agreed with me that it was not something that is okay with how this occurred and that she hopes one way or another I can get my issues with my truck resolved either with issues finally being fixed or me being able to get rid of my vehicle through the lemon law. So I got 1 nice person however still no resolutions to my concerns.

Good luck, with figuring out your vehicle purchase. I want you to know that it's not just the hybrids that are having issues. I know the Max Tow Package Axle Bolts sheering off is seemingly been impacting every trim of F-150 that is equipped with it no matter the engine. Also the 10R80 10 speed automatic transmission has been impacting every ford vehicle that it's equipped in and there appears to be a class action lawsuit against ford for that transmission impacting 2017-2021 model vehicles as that was all of the vehicles produced at the time of the class action lawsuit. I know there's other common issues as well impacting 14th gen F-150's it seems to be just a matter of luck if you have issues or not with these components, especially since at least for the 2022 F-150 there doesn't seem to be any recalls for these issues, just a steering column wiring harness.

roblectric

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F150 Limited - 2007 Shelby GT
Occupation
retired
Thanks for the info. I think all of the light duty truck manufacturers are having problems with quality in some form or another. I won't get into the causes for that. It's a gamble hoping that the 2023 models will have those issues addressed. I have been lucky throughout the years to end up with trouble free ford trucks. It seems like alot of the problems stem from more and more computer controlled functions. I convinced myself that to get the options I wanted I would have to start at the King Ranch trim or above. Might rethink that.

OP
OP

xaero

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My truck has been continuing to have issues with the transmission my avg fuel economy is now down to 16.7mpg from 21/22mpg and rarely goes into electric mode. The heat is still unbearable after a few minutes and my parking sensors still go off randomly when nothing is around.

This week I got a notice of another recall #22S71 Windshield Wiper Motor. I got an "Adaptive Steering Fault Service Required" message. While I was cleaning my truck I went to open the rear drivers side door and the alarm started going off while I had the keys in my pocket, the truck was unlocked and the drivers side door was open. I finally got a picture of the parking sensor going off while I was in an empty parking lot with nothing around. I've also had a "Vehicle Alert" stuck on my Ford Pass app all week about a successful update which I cannot remove yet my Adaptive Steering Fault and the Recall never showed up in the app.

Luckily I have an appointment to get all of this checked out next week. We'll see how this next round of fixing issues goes and if it will be more of the same "resetting the system fixed it"

Ford F-150 The hits keep coming with my 2022 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost 7 months in. IMG_2692

Ford F-150 The hits keep coming with my 2022 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost 7 months in. IMG_2687

Ford F-150 The hits keep coming with my 2022 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost 7 months in. IMG_2696
Sponsored