My 1.5 months old 2023 PowerBoost is dead

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Can the 2nd 12v battery under the back seat be monitored with OBDLink MX+? What name?
Not that I know of, or at least with the PIDs I have. Both batteries are connected, so when you are monitoring the voltage, charging current, or SOC, in effect it's both batteries combined.

Only when the high current demand of the 12V bendix starter is commanded by the pcm, are the batteries isolated from each other. Literally a split second.
Sponsored

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
Not that I know of, or at least with the PIDs I have. Both batteries are connected, so when you are monitoring the voltage, charging current, or SOC, in effect it's both batteries combined.

Only when the high current demand of the 12V bendix starter is commanded by the pcm, are the batteries isolated from each other. Literally a split second.
Thanks
Always a lot of info

dogboye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Yes I knew about the cup holder slot, and I think that only works when the key fob is in low battery. In my case, my key fob had no issue.
Perhaps that is correct. Certainly, I believe that is the purpose of the aux slot. However, in our case, this was an isolated incident of the truck totally bricking itself, which was cured by putting the fob in the slot.
Now, I suppose it is entirely possible that it was a complete coincidence that it worked in the slot. IIRC, I suggested she lock the truck with the key fob (which she could do), walk away from it for 10-15 minutes, then try again. During that time frame, I found the alternate startup procedure and sent her the page. I do not know if she tried a standard start again before trying the alternate, or went straight to the alternate. Important details not considered until after the fact.
In any case, we have done nothing to the fob or truck since then, and we have not had a recurrence of the problem. Yet. (?)

It certainly seems as though this issue has recently affected more trucks. It could just be a statistical anomaly of forum posts, but you have to wonder.

And it's interesting that most of the time it dissappears as quickly as it popped up. Not really associated with any other issue, but rather out of the blue. (similar in that respect to the Bang & Olufsen sudden sound explosion)

Since it doesn't appear that Ford or any dealership technicians have discovered the culprit, we only know what we know.

I'm curious if killing all power to the 12V truck can do for it what killing power to the stereo system does for the runaway noise?

What changes from the moment the truck either won't start, or pops up the alert to stop the truck immediately, and a few minutes later when all returns to normal?

My Powerboost is one year old and has only had the alert once. Several months ago. It's so strange.

I have to believe that the alert itself, as well as the Ready light NOT lighting up, are both meaningful at the software coding level. In fact, the alert itself is penned by the software development team. It wouldn't exist otherwise. So there has to be folks at Ford that do know all the potential triggers for that alert. And I bet it's the same for the unlit Ready light.

The first thing I would do if my truck wouldn't start is read my PIDs and see what the current SOC for both the 12V and Hybrid batteries.
I would also verify if the DC/DC converter was in fact providing ample amps to the 12V system.
If those looked normal and I still can't get the ready light, I'm rebooting the whole truck. On the Powerboost that's a bit of a pain, but I would disconnect both batteries. There's no other way to do a complete soft reset to the 42 module ensemble that all participate together in the software dance.
I think that bolded part is the key. From experience with other systems in depth that have multiple computer modules working together in concert. When it comes to complex systems like that, everything in a startup sequence has to happen in order and at the right time. On the system I worked on, there was a window for each module to report back to the main controller on its health, or readiness. If one component was just a few milliseconds late/outside its window, it would bring down the whole system. In this particular case, one module would degrade over time, resulting in reporting outside its frame (window). We had these things degrading all over the place, and the only fix was to replace the aging module (which was still good, and had hundreds or hours of life left). This was a tremendous drain on the logistic chain, and this was well before COVID. The eventual fix was to enlarge the window for that module to report.
I believe something similar is happening here, although considering the time span from manufacture to event, I doubt it is a module degrading. I suspect a startup frame is too tight (short), resulting in a fairly rare event (for a singular truck).
At least that's my theory, for our particular event. Without knowing the specific software architecture of the Powerboost.

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
If those looked normal and I still can't get the ready light, I'm rebooting the whole truck. On the Powerboost that's a bit of a pain, but I would disconnect both batteries. There's no other way to do a complete soft reset to the 42 module ensemble that all participate together in the software dance.
Good point/reminder with vehicles these days. I probably have to reboot our PC’s (yes, Mac and Windows, lol) once every 1-2 weeks. Phone about once a month. Vehicles these days are pretty much computers (multiple computers) and I always find a restart/reset is the easiest thing to try to get everything back working together.
I’ll have to review how to reset my 5.0L, I assume it’s disconnecting the 12V battery to start.

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
Good point/reminder with vehicles these days. I probably have to reboot our PC’s (yes, Mac and Windows, lol) once every 1-2 weeks. Phone about once a month. Vehicles these days are pretty much computers (multiple computers) and I always find a restart/reset is the easiest thing to try to get everything back working together.
I’ll have to review how to reset my 5.0L, I assume it’s disconnecting the 12V battery to start.
When I posted about my truck (PowerBoost) not starting one morning, I was strongly admonished for disconnecting the primary 12V battery. They stated adverse effects regarding the accessory 12V battery- way over my head and I did not understand.

I have commented before that a "reboot sequence" would be nice like Ctrl-Alt-Delete. There is a sequence to reset the battery management- 5 honks and 3 brake presses.

Sponsored

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Blackout
Occupation
Police Officer
Y’all make fun of the 2.7s but man I’m glad I picked that engine again on my 2022.

Seriously though, I hope it’s a relatively minor issue they correct AND do right by you in the process for the inconvenience

OP
OP

scho7623

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat PowerBoost
Y’all make fun of the 2.7s but man I’m glad I picked that engine again on my 2022.

Seriously though, I hope it’s a relatively minor issue they correct AND do right by you in the process for the inconvenience
Thanks. I hope so as well. I specifically purchased a new truck just to avoid these sorts of mechanical issues. Yet, here I am with a broken truck. That tells a lot about the quality of vehicles Ford is producing these days... I'm not sure if I want to purchase any vehicles from Ford from now on. That will all depend on how well they take care of customers having troubles like I'm going through. So we will see... 🤞

OP
OP

scho7623

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update: Today is the 3rd day my truck has been in the Ford dealership service center. I called this morning to get an update, and they haven't touched my truck yet. They said it was the end of the month and they have a lot of vehicles in for service now. They may be able to get to my truck today. We will see.

Anyway, I was supposed to check out of the RV park I'm currently in on 5/29, but because of my truck out of service, I had to extend the stay at the RV park paying additional $65 everyday out of my pocket. I can't move my travel trailer, because the Ford dealership won't give me a loaner truck while my truck is being repaired. I requested for a loaner truck several times, but all declined. So far I'm quite disappointed at Ford's customer service. 😞

Kidder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 3.5EB SCREW 157"
Update: Today is the 3rd day my truck has been in the Ford dealership service center. I called this morning to get an update, and they haven't touched my truck yet. They said it was the end of the month and they have a lot of vehicles in for service now. They may be able to get to my truck today. We will see.

Anyway, I was supposed to check out of the RV park I'm currently in on 5/29, but because of my truck out of service, I had to extend the stay at the RV park paying additional $65 everyday out of my pocket. I can't move my travel trailer, because the Ford dealership won't give me a loaner truck while my truck is being repaired. I requested for a loaner truck several times, but all declined. So far I'm quite disappointed at Ford's customer service. 😞
That's a dealership issue, not Ford.

When my truck was in the shop for repeated issues, I didn't have access to a loaner through the dealer because they didn't have any. Ford agreed to reimburse me for a rental car (which they did) since I ended up being without the truck for weeks.

Did you DM your VIN # to the Ford customer rep who responded in this thread? That's how it got started for me having an assigned customer service rep who worked with me from start to finish of my warranty repair.

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
That's a dealership issue, not Ford.
I take your point about it being a dealership issue and not a Ford issue, but I beg to differ. From the customer perspective, it's a Ford product being supported (or not) by Ford's representatives, in this case the dealer. Whether the dealer is an independent franchise or a company-owned dealership (is there such a thing?) makes no difference to me as the customer. I bought a Ford truck and I expect a certain level of support from Ford including its support infrastructure.
Perhaps Ford needs to do a better job of disciplining its field representatives (the dealers). The corporate culture permeates the entire chain from manufacturer to dealer to service.
Sounds harsh, but until we as customers hold FORD responsible, the customer will continue to be at the mercy of an individual dealer. That should not be the case.

Sponsored

OP
OP

scho7623

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I take your point about it being a dealership issue and not a Ford issue, but I beg to differ. From the customer perspective, it's a Ford product being supported (or not) by Ford's representatives, in this case the dealer. Whether the dealer is an independent franchise or a company-owned dealership (is there such a thing?) makes no difference to me as the customer. I bought a Ford truck and I expect a certain level of support from Ford including its support infrastructure.
Perhaps Ford needs to do a better job of disciplining its field representatives (the dealers). The corporate culture permeates the entire chain from manufacturer to dealer to service.
Sounds harsh, but until we as customers hold FORD responsible, the customer will continue to be at the mercy of an individual dealer. That should not be the case.
Well said, I agree 100%.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
All true, except the unmentioned adversarial relationship that is becoming more pervasive in the industry between manufacturer and dealership.
The disruption created by new market forces like Tesla have forced manufacturers to put new pressures for immediate and future changes on the dealership model.

We, the consumer, are caught in the fray. Unfortunately.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
I have an acquaintance who has a couple Subarus. They have high customer satisfaction but they also have at least one model that is having similar battery problems as we see mentioned on this bd. and coincidentally or not, about the same level of frustrations from those afflicted, as in dealers not being particularly responsive or knowledgeable.

He insists Subaru knows of the problem but there is no cure yet and talk of a class action.

He deals with it by using a battery charger and a jump pack.

His other Subaru is fine and they otherwise like the vehicles.

So anyway, it isn't just Ford.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Anyway to know if the previous owner di**ed around with forescan?
After Jesse looks at your diagnostics maybe you could ask the service department to just refresh everything back to factory?
Sponsored