First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
On my 15 and 18 trucks, both of which had tailgate steps, the grab handle stayed sort of locked into the tailgate until you pressed in on the yellow knob to release the handle to move into the upright position . On my new 21 KR, it simply slips out of the tailgate, no release necessary. Consequently, when you are parked on even a very slight incline, when you drop the step, the grab handle slips right out if the tailgate. Plus to fold up the step, you need to pretty much hold the grab handle at the same time.

Are all new trucks made this way. I find it annoying having the handle slip out when you open up the step if on a slight incline.

Took the truck to the dealer to ask about this and they looked at three other trucks and confirmed the handle does not have a hold in feature similar to previous years.

Thanks for any insights or observations
Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
On my 15 and 18 trucks, both of which had tailgate steps, the grab handle stayed sort of locked into the tailgate until you pressed in on the yellow knob to release the handle to move into the upright position . On my new 21 KR, it simply slips out of the tailgate, no release necessary. Consequently, when you are parked on even a very slight incline, when you drop the step, the grab handle slips right out if the tailgate. Plus to fold up the step, you need to pretty much hold the grab handle at the same time.

Are all new trucks made this way. I find it annoying having the handle slip out when you open up the step if on a slight incline.

Took the truck to the dealer to ask about this and they looked at three other trucks and confirmed the handle does not have a hold in feature similar to previous years.

I have a 21 XLT and my tailgate grab handle locks in place

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
The handle will slide in/out freely, but it will lock in place when up. I'm not sure what your trying to explain with holding the handle while pushing the step back in though. I lower the handle and push it into the hole, it stays put (mostly), then I lift and slide the step in to latch it. I suppose if you're on an incline it could slide out, but it moves in/out only, so once the top of the handle would touch the step, you can just push the step in. No need to hold the handle to make sure it goes in properly.

OP
OP
Mash150

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
The handle will slide in/out freely, but it will lock in place when up. I'm not sure what your trying to explain with holding the handle while pushing the step back in though. I lower the handle and push it into the hole, it stays put (mostly), then I lift and slide the step in to latch it. I suppose if you're on an incline it could slide out, but it moves in/out only, so once the top of the handle would touch the step, you can just push the step in. No need to hold the handle to make sure it goes in properly.
Probably not the best explanation. The handle does slide in and out freely and locks when it the upright position. On my other trucks, once it was pushed into the tailgate, it seemed to lock there. Such that when the truck is sloped up at the front, the handle doesn’t slide out of the tailgate. In my case it nearly always slides out on its‘ own.

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical

Probably not the best explanation. The handle does slide in and out freely and locks when it the upright position. On my other trucks, once it was pushed into the tailgate, it seemed to lock there. Such that when the truck is sloped up at the front, the handle doesn’t slide out of the tailgate. In my case it nearly always slides out on its‘ own.
Isn't that the reason the "release lever" is painted yellow? In every video, I have seen they had to push the lever down to release. Doesn't make sense that you have to worry about driving down the road with your tailgate down and wonder if the grab bar is in or out. Doesn't seem right.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mash150

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
Isn't that the reason the "release lever" is painted yellow? In every video, I have seen they had to push the lever down to release. Doesn't make sense that you have to worry about driving down the road with your tailgate down and wonder if the grab bar is in or out. Doesn't seem right.
True ,but that’s not what I’m trying to explain. From the upright lock position, you need to depress the yellow handle and release the lock at the bottom before pushing the handle into the tailgate. But the handle will slide right back out of the tailgate unless you are parked on level ground or the front of truck is lower then the back of the truck. Anything on a upwards incline allows the handle to slide back out of the tailgate. Of coarse once the step is pushed in it keeps the handle in.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Not sure why this is a big deal. I'd have the step latched at a minimum, and tailgate up if the list allowed, before driving anywhere. If the step is in, you don't need to worry about the handle. Even still, the handle can't rotate down towards the ground, so it is still a non-issue.

Whoskyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Mine on my XLT, when slid in, definitely friction locks in there, does not slide out

OP
OP
Mash150

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
Mine on my XLT, when slid in, definitely friction locks in there, does not slide out
Thanks for the reply. It seems there are different options on what I was trying to describe . It seems like I’ll just have to put up with this but it would be nice to have it not slide out at the same time you pull out the step when the truck is on an incline, which my driveway is .

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
Thanks for the reply. It seems there are different options on what I was trying to describe . It seems like I’ll just have to put up with this but it would be nice to have it not slide out at the same time you pull out the step when the truck is on an incline, which my driveway is .
are you putting the handle in before the step? the step helps hold the handle in

Sponsored

BSD_USER66

First Name
freeBSD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited, 2015 Platinum, 2014 XLT, 1993 XL
Occupation
Cyber Security
I have the same problem.
On my 2015 Platinum vs 2021 Limited, when I drop my 2021 tailgate down, push the small black button to release the step from the tailgate and pull it out, the handle slides out right along after it - contrast that with my 2015 - where I would pull out the step first, then need to also pull out the handle manually as it held in place still inside the tailgate.

OP
OP
Mash150

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
are you putting the handle in before the step? the step helps hold the handle in
Um, not sure how you would do it in any other order. The handle is alway in when the step is closed.

OP
OP
Mash150

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
I have the same problem.
On my 2015 Platinum vs 2021 Limited, when I drop my 2021 tailgate down, push the small black button to release the step from the tailgate and pull it out, the handle slides out right along after it - contrast that with my 2015 - where I would pull out the step first, then need to also pull out the handle manually as it held in place still inside the tailgate.
Exactly !!!

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
The handle does pop out when I open the step, but I can push it back in and it will stay there. I've only done it on minor inclines so far, so steeper angles it may slide out. I like the fact that it comes out partway as it makes it easier to open up.

I'm still missing why this is such an issue though. How often are people using the step without the handle?

OP
OP
Mash150

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
The handle does pop out when I open the step, but I can push it back in and it will stay there. I've only done it on minor inclines so far, so steeper angles it may slide out. I like the fact that it comes out partway as it makes it easier to open up.

I'm still missing why this is such an issue though. How often are people using the step without the handle?
Understand what you are saying. No issue at all using the step with the handle. More annoying with my sloped driveway , I need to hold the handle in the tailgate with one hand and lift the step with the other hand. With some retaining system holding the handle in, just push in the handle and close the step. or at least let the step catch the handle as it slides out and then close the step.
Sponsored