Tailgate Gap

Whoskyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Anyone else notice the gap on either side?

Driver and passenger for reference

Ford F-150 Tailgate Gap 2BCC698B-E2E2-45F5-B968-EA5D15614391

Ford F-150 Tailgate Gap 429BE033-4F3F-414A-BA92-6AA3D84EEA94
Sponsored

OP
OP
Whoskyle

Whoskyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
I get it, but on my F250, it’s definitely not as wide. Just seeing others thoughts

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I'm not much help as I don't have my '21 yet but I virtually have no gap on my 2002. Hope my '21 won't be like that, it looks terrible to me like the tailgate isn't wide enough.

OP
OP
Whoskyle

Whoskyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
I'm not much help as I don't have my '21 yet but I virtually have no gap on my 2002. Hope my '21 won't be like that, it looks terrible to me like the tailgate isn't wide enough.
Exactly, almost all my trucks have no gap

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
Same on mine, and looking from the inside of the bed , on each corner looks even worse… left over parts from previous gen? Lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
Whoskyle

Whoskyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Same on mine, and looking from the inside of the bed , on each corner looks even worse… left over parts from previous gen? Lol
More than likely, had to produce some way ?‍♂

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
More than likely, had to produce some way ?‍♂
yeah another pet peeve is how some parts of the truck is not fully painted… drives me nuts. Example under the hood and like bottom or inside parts of the doors. Different topic but figured I’d point out lol

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dont really think is about holding water or being air sealed tight… as much as it is aesthetics and craftsmanship. Plus the price of these things??‍♂

OP
OP
Whoskyle

Whoskyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
yeah another pet peeve is how some parts of the truck is not fully painted… drives me nuts. Example under the hood and like bottom or inside parts of the doors. Different topic but figured I’d point out lol
I have never seen such bad quality control, under my door is orange peel like crazy, certain spots on high clear coat, the tail gate, for 55K, we can do a little better I feel like

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have never seen such bad quality control, under my door is orange peel like crazy, certain spots on high clear coat, the tail gate, for 55K, we can do a little better I feel like
on my driver side front quarter panel I literally thought it was a side hand grease spot, and tried taking it off but I believe someone touched it while clear coat was wet? I’m gonna try to buff it out or something

Sponsored

OP
OP
Whoskyle

Whoskyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
on my driver side front quarter panel I literally thought it was a side hand grease spot, and tried taking it off but I believe someone touched it while clear coat was wet? I’m gonna try to buff it out or something
Funny, I have the same thing in my rear quarter panel

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Is that standard procedure or just a paint guy or paint robot being lazy? :unsure:

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
@Whoskyle -

I believe that the 'Orange Peel' finish may be by design. I've noticed it under the door sill while washing my (SQ) truck and having the running boards deployed. Its not visible from street view. My guess is that area is prone to rocks and other debris causing damage. (The orange arrows point to the pebbled finish underneath the sill and the yellow arrows point to the smooth glossy finish on the doors and side of the sill.)

Anecdotally, my wife's (Red) Explorer was recently in a minor accident. I brought it to a friend who owns a body shop. While there, I had him address some other minor issues - including paint flaking on the leading edge of the hood. He explained to me that it will eventually happen to all of these aluminum body vehicles, regardless of make, as they are more prone than steel body vehicles to rocks et al chipping the paint over time. He recommended (and I agreed) to go with the 'Orange Peel' across the width of the hood, about 2 inches wide, as a protective measure. It came out looking great - almost like a bra from the factory.

I don't know if this is exactly what you're talking about but its something to consider.

Ford F-150 Tailgate Gap IMG-6048

Ford F-150 Tailgate Gap IMG-6047

Ford F-150 Tailgate Gap Truck Paint Finish