Tailgate recall

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2 Order: 22 Lariat 500A/3.5 EB/FX4/Max Tow/+
Whatever you do, don’t take it in until they have everything to fix it in stock….
Sponsored

Kendunn

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
Self employed
I had my tailgate drop on my 21 when I hit a bump, I've heard it was electrical related and the fix was to redo the harness and reprogram a module to not allow it to open with the truck running. I had it in for service and they were supposed to fix it, but I checked and it still drops when the truck is running if I hit the inside button. Can someone confirm that the fix is supposed to not allow this?

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
I had my tailgate drop on my 21 when I hit a bump, I've heard it was electrical related and the fix was to redo the harness and reprogram a module to not allow it to open with the truck running. I had it in for service and they were supposed to fix it, but I checked and it still drops when the truck is running if I hit the inside button. Can someone confirm that the fix is supposed to not allow this?
After my fix I was able to drop the tailgate with the engine running. The harness was re done but to my knowledge there was no change to the cabin or key fob button operation. I remember testing both prior to leaving the lot. I would double check but this recall work caused my truck to immediately go haywire and it's back at the dealer awaiting diagnostics.

Kendunn

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
Self employed
After my fix I was able to drop the tailgate with the engine running. The harness was re done but to my knowledge there was no change to the cabin or key fob button operation. I remember testing both prior to leaving the lot. I would double check but this recall work caused my truck to immediately go haywire and it's back at the dealer awaiting diagnostics.
Apparently the recall was a bit different than I thought, someone told me the check was to see now if your tailgate requires two presses to open. This seems like a bandaid, makes me think the harness is shorting out somehow and the fix is to require it to short out twice in rapid succession now to open, but that's just a guess.

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
Apparently the recall was a bit different than I thought, someone told me the check was to see now if your tailgate requires two presses to open. This seems like a bandaid, makes me think the harness is shorting out somehow and the fix is to require it to short out twice in rapid succession now to open, but that's just a guess.
That may have been a prior recall, there have been different versions. On 5/9
And 5/10 a re wire and reprogramming job was done on my truck for this that did not seem to change either of those functions

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kendunn

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
Self employed
That may have been a prior recall, there have been different versions. On 5/9
And 5/10 a re wire and reprogramming job was done on my truck for this that did not seem to change either of those functions
This truck is going to be the end of me with all the recalls. I hadn't had mine out of the shop but literally a couple of days getting that, some misc issues fixed, and the wiper motor recall and then get a letter about the wiper linkage recall. I came from a Highlander that my son now has with 160k and zero issues, so this leaves me frustrated.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I haven't seen even a hint of a problem with the truck.
So no way am I dropping it off just because it might someday have a problem.
I get the feeling if I let them mess with it then the jinx is on. 😉

Ford F-150 Tailgate recall Screenshot_20230520_161149_Brave

Lou2538

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
retired
My ford pass says there is this recall for the truck gate suddenly opening when it shouldn’t. I called my dealer and the service guy asked if the gate ever opened unexpectedly.
I said no. He told me
I have a 10 year warranty so if there is a problem I am covered. So why list a recall if you’re not gonna fix it?
Funny I had a 2016 Ram that had the same recall. Now my 2022 has the same recall. You would think after 6 years they wouldn't have the same recall. Now Ford is having the same recall ? I didn't get it on my 2023 Ford f-150 yet. You would think after all these years trucks with tail gates that they would have it down to no problems.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Funny I had a 2016 Ram that had the same recall. Now my 2022 has the same recall. You would think after 6 years they wouldn't have the same recall. Now Ford is having the same recall ? I didn't get it on my 2023 Ford f-150 yet. You would think after all these years trucks with tail gates that they would have it down to no problems.
If they were the old plain tailgates, you would be correct. However , now tailgates run from plain ones on base XL's, to remote unlocking ones, to power tailgates, to ones that have fancy steps in them. Just a lot more complexity.

Lou2538

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
retired
If they were the old plain tailgates, you would be correct. However , now tailgates run from plain ones on base XL's, to remote unlocking ones, to power tailgates, to ones that have fancy steps in them. Just a lot more complexity.
But with just power locks it shouldn't open driving down the street. And my point that the 2016 Ram had the recall you would think they would have fixed it so the 2022 Ram or the Fords wouldn't still be having the same recall. Did they not learn anything?

Sponsored

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I haven't seen even a hint of a problem with the truck.
So no way am I dropping it off just because it might someday have a problem.
I get the feeling if I let them mess with it then the jinx is on. 😉

Screenshot_20230520_161149_Brave.jpg
The flickering affected my truck on the left light only. I didn't notice until about a month in. It only does it when I first turn on the truck or when the zone lighting is active. It seems to go away after like 10 seconds.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The flickering affected my truck on the left light only. I didn't notice until about a month in. It only does it when I first turn on the truck or when the zone lighting is active. It seems to go away after like 10 seconds.
I might have the issue and not have noticed. But if it's a 10 second self-correcting issue, AND an FDRS update addresses it anyways, well it's still not something the dealership will ever know about.

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Power Tailgate was one of the three options I passed on... for this very reason!

Ford F-150 Tailgate recall Bullet Dodge

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
Actually you were right and I misremembered the 5 minutes of messing with the truck before it went back in. 2 button pushes now in the cabin and on the fob to drop the gate. That's in addition to the rewire/reprogram. She is back and fixed now with a clear recall dashboard. "Corrupted software."

Did not need wiper motors after inspection, got the trailer brake one done. Has not qualified for anything else. We'll see how long that lasts.

Kendunn

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
Self employed
Power Tailgate was one of the three options I passed on... for this very reason!

Bullet Dodge.jpg
The recall I'm referring to isn't the power tailgate, it's just the standard that you can lower only from cab button or FOB
Sponsored