First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 3.5L POWERBOOST
Occupation
SW Engineer
Two weeks ago out of the blue the Power Tailgate stoped working. Nothing was working, the power button in the tailgate near the backup camera, the button in the dash or the key fob. All do not open or close the tailgate. Each time I press it I hear 3 beeps inside the cabin and some times I see a message in the driver cluster that says “power tailgate stow step”

I have tried opening the tailgate step and re closing it. I have tried turning off the power tailgate in the entertainment system. Setting it to manual or turning it back on still does not fix the problem.

Yesterday I took the truck into a dealership and after 1/2 day they said they are doing a software update and that’s going to fix it. Today after no call all morning. I call them and they said bad news. We can’t fix your problem because……. drum-roll, you have installed a 3rd Party truck bed cover. I am very confused because almost everyone who buys a truck gets a truck bed cover or a camper shell to protect/lock your stuff not to mention stuff flying out when you driver around town.
Even on Ford.com you can buy/order a truck with a truck bed cover ?

The cost for them to fix it Out-Of-Warranty repair $903

This sucks. I have not have the truck for a full year yet (only 11k mileage) and my tailgate is broken. I say broken because it’s stuck, locked in the up position and no way to get it into manual mode. So I have a 70k truck with a broken tailgate and Ford, well at least this Dealership says it’s my fault because I have a truck bed cover. WTF

I asked for the part number Control Unit - Ford (MU5Z-14B291-U) that's what they think is causing the problem. See attached photos. I opened the tailgate (all 13 t30 screws) to look inside. I was hoping to find two wires like I have seen in many online videos with other F150 having the same problem. No wires. They have two L-R top actuators for the locks. Two L-R bottom actuators for moving the power tailgate up and down. There's a sensor under the tailgate step, and then there's a control unit.

So I have part number but what if I get that new module plug it in and it needs to be programed to function or worse something else is broken.

Again it just stopped working out of the blue I didn't do anything special. The cover I have is also aluminum in fairly light so maybe 30 pounds of weight on that back panel or less and most of the support is on the two sides of the truck bed and not all on the tailgate. I put the cover on right when I bought the truck last October 21 and I've had zero problems. It didn't even rub or make any funny noises opening and closing so it didn't seem like it was putting any pressure at all onto the tailgate. never had trouble closing because of the truck bed cover.

What should I do ? what if I am not even buying the right part? Does anyone find it odd that they think the control unit will fix the problem. How would even standing on the tailgate cause a faulty control unit.

I am really saddened that a. it was not covered under warranty and b. that I am left with trying to diagnose a problem on a brand new F150. Are we all to think that truck bed covers break control units?

The worse part of this is the design. Ford gave us no way to get out of this problem. If the power tailgate fails and I could at least use it the good old fashion way manually at least we have a workaround not $1000 a month broken unit. sad face! We should be able to pull a cable or un attach something to get it working.

Ford F-150 Power Tailgate stuck in the up position tempImageOTCf7C

Ford F-150 Power Tailgate stuck in the up position Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 7.48.24 PM

Ford F-150 Power Tailgate stuck in the up position Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 7.48.36 PM

Ford F-150 Power Tailgate stuck in the up position Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 7.50.01 PM

Ford F-150 Power Tailgate stuck in the up position Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 7.50.17 PM
Sponsored

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
Logically, installation of a bed cover has nothing to do with the tailgate step. Before buying a new module (which may or may not work), I would investigate the meaning of "stow step". That seems to me like a sensor / switch problem localised in the tailgate. To check:
1. Use varying amounts of pressure in pushing in the tailgate step (from its already seemingly closed position) while at the same time trying to open it with the button or fob; if it works at some point, it is most likely a misaligned sensor / switch.
2. Check if there are any DTCs present relating the module in question. If so, these may give further info or clues of what to do.
3. Ask another dealer who is more realistic about what things void warranty or not.

s.v.t.

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Building..
Additionally, I would have the dealership or Ford prove that the installed bed cover caused the problem. They can't assume it did, they need to prove it. Personally, I'd escalate this to Corporate and possibly bring in the BBB, and/or send a letter to your State's Attorney General and have a copy of the letter with delivery receipt.. just depending on how aggressive you want to pursue this.

OP
OP
audioman2

audioman2

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SW Engineer
Logically, installation of a bed cover has nothing to do with the tailgate step. Before buying a new module (which may or may not work), I would investigate the meaning of "stow step". That seems to me like a sensor / switch problem localised in the tailgate. To check:
1. Use varying amounts of pressure in pushing in the tailgate step (from its already seemingly closed position) while at the same time trying to open it with the button or fob; if it works at some point, it is most likely a misaligned sensor / switch.
2. Check if there are any DTCs present relating the module in question. If so, these may give further info or clues of what to do.
3. Ask another dealer who is more realistic about what things void warranty or not.
these are good ideas!

OP
OP
audioman2

audioman2

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SW Engineer
Additionally, I would have the dealership or Ford prove that the installed bed cover caused the problem. They can't assume it did, they need to prove it. Personally, I'd escalate this to Corporate and possibly bring in the BBB, and/or send a letter to your State's Attorney General and have a copy of the letter with delivery receipt.. just depending on how aggressive you want to pursue this.
Never really thought of that I'm more confused that it took them two days to tell me they're not gonna help me. I just wanted my truck back and get out of there because I thought that I can fix it but clearly after opening the tailgate and looking in there's a lot of points of possible failure

Sponsored

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
This dealer is trying to screw you in my opinion. Take it to another dealer.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (federal law) a manufacturer (your warranty is by manufacturer Ford, the dealer just handles the execution of the work for Ford) cannot decline an otherwise warranty-eligible repair unless they determine the failure is caused by the aftermarket component.

There must be a cause-and-effect relationship specific to the failure that's otherwise eligible for warranty remedy. They can't decline in-warranty remedy out-of-hand just because of the presence of a third-party modification.

I'd escalate the matter, mentioning the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act by name, asking what leads them to believe that the diagnosed module failure is caused by the presence of the aftermarket cover.

IF your cover contacts the tailgate and in any manner at all causes additional 'drag' or 'resistance' to tailgate operation .....

Last edited:
OP
OP
audioman2

audioman2

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SW Engineer
Per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (federal law) a manufacturer (your warranty is by manufacturer Ford, the dealer just handles the execution of the work for Ford) cannot decline an otherwise warranty-eligible repair unless they determine the failure is caused by the aftermarket component.

There must be a cause-and-effect relationship specific to the failure that's otherwise eligible for warranty remedy. They can't decline in-warranty remedy out-of-hand just because of the presence of a third-party modification.

I'd escalate the matter, mentioning the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act by name, asking what leads them to believe that the diagnosed module failure is caused by the presence of the aftermarket cover.
well I do love this forum. The community has a wealth of knowledge. Thank you for sharing.

Still completely dumb founded that the process is if a tech deems the issue is out of warranty the service advisors just go with it. 😞

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Still completely dumb founded that the process is if a tech deems the issue is out of warranty the service advisors just go with it. 😞
Sadly there's no shortage of dealers which, at all levels of the organization, try to abuse customers for whatever reason. Inevitably there's someone at some level who knows and understands the scope and application of the M-M Warranty Act.

There's also plenty of dealers which are perfectly above-board and do the job required as a matter of their daily business.

There is the possibility of course, that a cause-effect relationship has been established in your specific case but no-one has bothered to explain that to you in those terms.

Good luck.

OP
OP
audioman2

audioman2

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SW Engineer
From the tech notes

DC U3000:49.

U3000:49 (Control Module: Internal Electronic Failure) - If at any time during normal operation the PSCM detects an internal hardware error, DTC U3000:49 is set.

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/u3000 ford.html

Still that seems pretty generic as the truck has loads of electrical boxes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
audioman2

audioman2

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SW Engineer
There's also plenty of dealers which are perfectly above-board and do the job required as a matter of their daily business.
Man, I wish I could find one near me. 😡

Doyouevenboost

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Subaru, 21 f150 502a ecoboost
Occupation
Utility maintenance worker
From the tech notes

DC U3000:49.

U3000:49 (Control Module: Internal Electronic Failure) - If at any time during normal operation the PSCM detects an internal hardware error, DTC U3000:49 is set.

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/u3000 ford.html

Still that seems pretty generic as the truck has loads of electrical boxes.
Fight tooth and nail. With that code, the only procedure is to replace the module. There are no other diagnostic steps, (such as check for aftermarket equipment installed)
here is the actual diagnostic procedure from the workshop manual.

Ford F-150 Power Tailgate stuck in the up position CaretDown
PINPOINT TEST P: U3000:49
Normal Operation and Fault Conditions
INSTALL a new RGTM REFER to: Rear Gate Trunk Module (RGTM) (501-04 Pickup Bed and Platform Body, Removal and Installation).
DTC Fault Trigger Conditions
DTCDescriptionFault Trigger Condition
RGTM U3000:49Control Module: Internal Electronic FailureThis DTC sets when RGTM detects an internal failure.
Possible Sources
  • RGTM

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
There are no other diagnostic steps, (such as check for aftermarket equipment installed)
Just FYI there is never mention of any 'aftermarket parts check' in any Ford diagnostic procedure.
EDIT - SEE FOLLOWING POST

Ford has, over the years, published various dealer guidance documents and training materials about this subject, totally separate from its Workshop Manuals.

Last edited:

Doyouevenboost

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Subaru, 21 f150 502a ecoboost
Occupation
Utility maintenance worker
Just FYI there is never mention of any 'aftermarket parts check' in any Ford diagnostic procedure.

Ford has, over the years, published various dealer guidance documents and training materials about this subject, totally separate from its Workshop Manuals.
Cool Bro,
Here is an example of fords “diagnostic procedure” from the workshop manual, that disproves your theory.

Customer complains of driveline vibration, > verified concern, > check oasis, > pinpoint test H, > H8 - check driveline angles, > driveshaft angle adjustment.

Which statesVerify suspension is not modified from the original configuration aftermarket leveling kits and rear leaf spring shackles kits change ride height which affects pinion angle and other critical driveline related operating angles.”

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
I stand corrected, thank you!
Sponsored