Sync not connecting to home wifi

someday

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Antimatter Blue PB XLT High
I've got a Unifi setup and had the same issue, even after I removed the domain from my configuration. I had to additionally turn off band steering on the Wifi network my truck connects to.
Sponsored

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GT500, 2022 F150 SCab, 6.5, 3.5, Lariat
Occupation
I wish it was optional...
turn off band steering on the Wifi network my truck connects to.
Band steering (anyone's) sucks in general... So I'm not suprised... probally told the truck - hey - go to 5ghz for speed - and then the signal sucked... it hung... then flipped it back to 2.4 and since SYNC is about as robust as a flaccid banana at the network layer... that was that...

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
What is the typical behavior of the F-150 in connecting to WIFI. Mine connects easily to my Wifi network when running or in accessory mode but drops the connection when turned off. This is different than my Tesla which is always connected to Wifi. Is this normal? have not gotten any updates for several months.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Anyone have a quick how to on connecting to home WiFi? I haven’t been connected but my truck still received an over the air update. Not sure if it’s entirely necessary?

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
What is the typical behavior of the F-150 in connecting to WIFI. Mine connects easily to my Wifi network when running or in accessory mode but drops the connection when turned off. This is different than my Tesla which is always connected to Wifi. Is this normal? have not gotten any updates for several months.
Tesla's have giant batteries compared to even the Powerboost - so the way From manages their connection is - connect, check for updates, send telemetry data, etc, then disconnect... No need to burn battery when there's nothing left for the vehicle to do.

Sponsored

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Anyone have a quick how to on connecting to home WiFi? I haven’t been connected but my truck still received an over the air update. Not sure if it’s entirely necessary?
I think if you have data on the truck through the data plan - then you don't "need" wifi. So that could be how it pulled the OTA update.
To connect to WiFi - when you are near your home network - you will see the wifi logo (the fan) on the screen - and if it's not connected there will be an "!" in there. Tap the logo and the menu is pretty simple to follow.

dougbillings

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum - Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Software Sales
I had the same thing - my home network is fairly advanced - separate VLANS's for family, guest, IoT crap, secured VPN's for data work, etc.

My new 2022 F150 will connect to the WiFi network, register it's MAC and receive an IP address... and then just sit there - and then tell me on the screen that SYNC can not connect... except - it has connected.

It does not matter if the WiFi network it connects to is tagged with a VLAN or not - it won't work.
It does not matter the make or model of the WiFi access point - I can use TP-Link, Synology, NetGear, etc... I tried about 5 different manufactures of AP's I had laying around - and different combinations of back ends (VLAN, no VLAN, 192.x networks, 10.x networks, tried the 3rd octet being a 0 or a 1) - does not matter. THis is 100% NOT an IP address format / mask issue like some people have assumed.

At the heart of my network is Firewalla Gold appliance that acts as the DHCP server (amongst a dozen other things). It clearly gives out an IP - the truck shows on the network - but it does nothing in terms of traffic and always reports SYNC fails. I thought maybe it was because the DHCP server is also doling out IPv6 addresses - but that's not it either.

So out of sheer frustration - I took an old NetGear wireless router - plugged the WAN side into the LAN - and then set the router to dole out IP's to connecting clients... Now by all rights this is evil as you are double/tripple NATing things... but I'll be dipped - the F150 logged right in, success, checked for updates, etc...

The guys over at the MachE forum have a long thread abut this - and the issue is 100% DHCP server configuration... in so far as the SYNC software Ford gives us asks for a DHCP option 119 response, but when it gets it - it just sits there... of course, I found this thread AFTER I had figured this out through the same hours of time they put in using tcpdump and otehr tools to see what and where things were breaking... and working on the separate network...

The solution is - in whatever is doing the DHCP on your network - be it your cable modem router / WiFi, your own WiFi router, or a more complex network setup (Omada, Ubiquity, Apple Airport devices, etc)... the KEY - the fix - the solution is this - you CAN NOT have a domain name for the LAN the SYNC vehicle is getting it's address from. If you have a "local search domain", "local domain", "search domain" (the name changes based on the DHCP software on your network gear) - the SYNC vehicle will ASK for a an IP, the server will give the IP with the local domain, and the SYNC device will sit there and stare at itself... and you get the nice "SYNC can not connect" error. REMOVE the local search domain (usually it's like "lan", "guest", "local") from the DHCP config on your router / DHCP server - and try to connect again from the vehicle and your SYNC device will connect and be super happy...

TLDR ; if you get the "SYNC can not connect" error when attempting to connect to your WiFi network, look at the DHCP setting on your WiFi router and REMOVE the local search domain and things will work.

(would be great is @Ford Motor Company would actually fix this across their entire vehicle lineup)
DUDE! I knew it had to be something like this. My setup is also fairly complex: Unifi Router handling DHCP with PiHole running as DNS.... multiple SSIDs & VLANs.

What worked for me is that I created a totally separate network that only has access to the internet (completely firewalled off from the rest of my network) and put a new SSID on it. The DHCP and wifi configs are as bland as I could make them.

Who made this network stack for Ford!?! sheesh! This is absolutely nuts! This isn't even new or advanced stuff. My mind is really blown. Thanks for doing the hard work. /tipshat

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
DUDE! I knew it had to be something like this. My setup is also fairly complex: Unifi Router handling DHCP with PiHole running as DNS.... multiple SSIDs & VLANs.

What worked for me is that I created a totally separate network that only has access to the internet (completely firewalled off from the rest of my network) and put a new SSID on it. The DHCP and wifi configs are as bland as I could make them.

Who made this network stack for Ford!?! sheesh! This is absolutely nuts! This isn't even new or advanced stuff. My mind is really blown. Thanks for doing the hard work. /tipshat
Glad I stumbled on this. I also have a Unifi stack and unique VLANs and also using PiHole for DNS. I even repurposed an old NanoHD since I replaced my indoor APs a few months ago with Unifi 6 Pros and put the NanoHD in the garage. We have a Focus Electric (Sync 3) and the 2021 F-150 PB. What's funny is the Focus has never had issues with our Wifi, I would connect it to the IoT SSID and it has always been happy, downloaded Sync updates and all.

The F-150 was so hit and miss. It connected to my phone hotspot fine, but would just fail out on the garage network. I ended up making it its own SSID with a simple name (all my other SSIDs have dashes in them, thought maybe it didn't like those). It connected after a few tries and seems better.

I bet if I turned off band steering it would be back to connecting perfectly. Appreciate all the responses!

Hoozenblop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Laredo Powerboost
Arggh, I feel like I'm so close - I found the Local Domain setting on my Fios Quantum router, currently set as "fios-router.home" but it won't let me "blank" it out... I get this:

Domain Name: Name may not contain spaces. Only letters, digits and the special characters dash (-), underscore (_) and dot (.) may be used. These special characters may not appear at the beginning or at the end of a name. The maximum length of a label (text between two dots) is 63

There's no space - I'm just leaving it empty and Verizon won't let me change it. What should I put here so my damn truck will connect?

Argh, I wanted to buy a pickup, not become an IT professional.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Arggh, I feel like I'm so close - I found the Local Domain setting on my Fios Quantum router, currently set as "fios-router.home" but it won't let me "blank" it out... I get this:

Domain Name: Name may not contain spaces. Only letters, digits and the special characters dash (-), underscore (_) and dot (.) may be used. These special characters may not appear at the beginning or at the end of a name. The maximum length of a label (text between two dots) is 63

There's no space - I'm just leaving it empty and Verizon won't let me change it. What should I put here so my damn truck will connect?

Argh, I wanted to buy a pickup, not become an IT professional.
Unless you have the latest FiOS router (white, supports mesh adapters), you can't change the local domain to anything that will work.

Sponsored

Hoozenblop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Laredo Powerboost
Things people from 2018 would never believe: “I have to get a new router so my car will work.”

Update: I actually finagled the new router and a lower monthly price out of Verizon so happy ending (maybe)!

Update 2: The newest FiOs router (CR1000a) connected immediately to the truck with default settings! No local domain change needed.

Last edited:

Jeff1024

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I've got a Unifi setup and had the same issue, even after I removed the domain from my configuration. I had to additionally turn off band steering on the Wifi network my truck connects to.
Same, I have all unifi gear. I had to setup a specific ssid for just the truck and turned off band steering on that network. Worked as soon as I did that.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Things people from 2018 would never believe: “I have to get a new router so my car will work.”

Update: I actually finagled the new router and a lower monthly price out of Verizon so happy ending (maybe)!
It's a programming issue on Ford's end (or their supplier of the system) with how the system authenticates with the router. There's more details on the Mach-E forum if you're interested, but I don't know the exact thread.

Jbcaindo

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited PB
Occupation
Power dude.
Same, I have all unifi gear. I had to setup a specific ssid for just the truck and turned off band steering on that network. Worked as soon as I did that.
I created a guest network and chose just my driveway AP, set it for midnight-1am, and a bland WPA.

Then set the truck to check for ota at 1205.

It connected first try.

wharrell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
Occupation
Principal Programmer Analyst
I purchased a new Inseego MF31005G hotspot from Verizon and my Sync 4 will not connect. There is no domain name under DHCP to change but there is an APN value under cellular

The previous Mifi connected flawlessly

I have tried All options for several hours and no success

Any other ideas to resolve this connectivity issue?
Sponsored