Sync not connecting to home wifi

Jposey

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum FX4 V8 3.73
Just thought I would throw this out there because of how much time it wasted for me to figure it out. For some reason my sync wasn’t able to connect to my home wifi. It turned out that because my IP address’ are xxx.xxx.69.x it couldn’t connect. Once I created a new WiFi network with an address assignment of xxx.xxx.0.x it connected right up. That’s what I get for customizing shit.
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Just thought I would throw this out there because of how much time it wasted for me to figure it out. For some reason my sync wasn’t able to connect to my home wifi. It turned out that because my IP address’ are xxx.xxx.69.x it couldn’t connect. Once I created a new WiFi network with an address assignment of xxx.xxx.0.x it connected right up. That’s what I get for customizing shit.
That IP address.... Nice

ZFlyGuy

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I'm having no luck getting my 2021 Lariat to connect to home wifi. Router hands out x.x.1.x IPs on local network which is default for most networks in my experience. I have a hard time believing a x.x.1.x IP would be an issue. Password length is also long on home network.. I believe with older Sync 3 password length was an issue for some. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lugusthedog

First Name
Lugus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Maxtow 3.5 EB
Occupation
retired
I'm having no luck getting my 2021 Lariat to connect to home wifi. Router hands out x.x.1.x IPs on local network which is default for most networks in my experience. I have a hard time believing a x.x.1.x IP would be an issue. Password length is also long on home network.. I believe with older Sync 3 password length was an issue for some. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
What is the reason/advantage to connecting Synch to home WIFI?

brnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat
What is the reason/advantage to connecting Synch to home WIFI?
OTA updates for one.

192.168.x.x (most common) and 10.x.x.x are the common local networks handed out by most wifi routers. If you have other devices that connect successfully to the wifi network, then the network probably isn't the issue. Does your truck show you a list of available networks?

Sponsored

ZFlyGuy

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Yeah, no issue w broadcast. SSID pops up in the list with strong signal. Truck just says it was "unable to connect to network". I've tried the 2.4 ghz and the 5 ghz with same result. I may put a shorter password on the guest network to see if that makes a difference and try connecting to that. It would be a little frustrating if it was the issue but not totally surprising since its a known issue in w the last gen of Sync. Would be annoying but not the end of the world to have to change master password and update all other devices in the house.. ugh.

OP
OP
Jposey

Jposey

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So I've tried all the things that you guys are trying... 2.4 to 5, signal strength issues, password...it turned out what fixed mine is the XXX.XXX.0.X. It had to be a zero. What led me done that path was I turned my phone's hotspot on with the same ssid and password and it connected to my phone with no problems. The only difference I could find was the IP addresses.

ZFlyGuy

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Could be trouble for those of us w Fios. Verizon doesn't officially support changing IP address from x.x.1.x to x.x.0.x and doing so can cause TV issues from what I've been told. Could be a bummer.

ZFlyGuy

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Talked to Fios, they said definitely do not change DHCP settings or it will mess up your set top box, so that option is out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jposey

Jposey

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ZFlyGuy do you have an old wifi router you can use use to setup another network for your truck? Not ideal, but probably a quicker fix then the alternative.

ZFlyGuy

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Ended up just getting the latest new router from Verizon and the truck connected right away to the new network. Of note, the IPs are all x.x.1.x with no issue so that was not the problem here. Might have been the DHCP software on old router.. who knows. Password length still long, network name no longer has dashes.. no idea if that made any difference.

vtn8shn

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Raptor - Leadfoot
Occupation
Engineer
Its definitely an issue with Verizons router. I have an older gen router and use a PLUME mesh network. The wifi was not connecting for my 2021 Raptor. I have a separate 2.4 G and 5 G access point. The common piece being the Verizon Fios router. Plume tech support made a change in the mesh piece to remove the DNS from the Fios router and allow the Plume pods to handle that.

Once they did that the truck connected just fine. I just have to do some monitoring to make sure there isn't degradation with the bandwidth in other areas.

Good luck.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Just wanted to bring this back. I have FiOS and couldn't connect to my home WiFi either. I had the G1100 router, and it seems like this one (and older generations probably) have the issue. It would act like it connected until it would have a failure alert. I could see in the log it was connecting, but it would disconnect as soon as an IP was assigned.

I just upgraded to the newest router they have, the G3100, and tonight when I got home I tried to connect to WiFi again. This time, it connected just fine. Hopefully it's just in time for the BlueCruise update. I assist checked and I have the multi-day scheduling ability, so I now have my truck checking for updates every day at midnight currently. I may roll that back to like 10 PM just so updates have a couple extra hours to download/install.

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GT500, 2022 F150 SCab, 6.5, 3.5, Lariat
Occupation
I wish it was optional...
I had the same thing - my home network is fairly advanced - separate VLANS's for family, guest, IoT crap, secured VPN's for data work, etc.

My new 2022 F150 will connect to the WiFi network, register it's MAC and receive an IP address... and then just sit there - and then tell me on the screen that SYNC can not connect... except - it has connected.

It does not matter if the WiFi network it connects to is tagged with a VLAN or not - it won't work.
It does not matter the make or model of the WiFi access point - I can use TP-Link, Synology, NetGear, etc... I tried about 5 different manufactures of AP's I had laying around - and different combinations of back ends (VLAN, no VLAN, 192.x networks, 10.x networks, tried the 3rd octet being a 0 or a 1) - does not matter. THis is 100% NOT an IP address format / mask issue like some people have assumed.

At the heart of my network is Firewalla Gold appliance that acts as the DHCP server (amongst a dozen other things). It clearly gives out an IP - the truck shows on the network - but it does nothing in terms of traffic and always reports SYNC fails. I thought maybe it was because the DHCP server is also doling out IPv6 addresses - but that's not it either.

So out of sheer frustration - I took an old NetGear wireless router - plugged the WAN side into the LAN - and then set the router to dole out IP's to connecting clients... Now by all rights this is evil as you are double/tripple NATing things... but I'll be dipped - the F150 logged right in, success, checked for updates, etc...

The guys over at the MachE forum have a long thread abut this - and the issue is 100% DHCP server configuration... in so far as the SYNC software Ford gives us asks for a DHCP option 119 response, but when it gets it - it just sits there... of course, I found this thread AFTER I had figured this out through the same hours of time they put in using tcpdump and otehr tools to see what and where things were breaking... and working on the separate network...

The solution is - in whatever is doing the DHCP on your network - be it your cable modem router / WiFi, your own WiFi router, or a more complex network setup (Omada, Ubiquity, Apple Airport devices, etc)... the KEY - the fix - the solution is this - you CAN NOT have a domain name for the LAN the SYNC vehicle is getting it's address from. If you have a "local search domain", "local domain", "search domain" (the name changes based on the DHCP software on your network gear) - the SYNC vehicle will ASK for a an IP, the server will give the IP with the local domain, and the SYNC device will sit there and stare at itself... and you get the nice "SYNC can not connect" error. REMOVE the local search domain (usually it's like "lan", "guest", "local") from the DHCP config on your router / DHCP server - and try to connect again from the vehicle and your SYNC device will connect and be super happy...

TLDR ; if you get the "SYNC can not connect" error when attempting to connect to your WiFi network, look at the DHCP setting on your WiFi router and REMOVE the local search domain and things will work.

(would be great is @Ford Motor Company would actually fix this across their entire vehicle lineup)
Sponsored

Last edited: