First Name
Jerimey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Hvac
The Max Payload package adds a third leaf spring at the rear and you may be able to do this. I put SuperSprings on my last truck to support a much greater payload and it was an extra pair of helper springs in each wheel. For the F-150 SuperSprings makes a different type of support that bolts on and is supposed to work but I would try to get the extra leaf spring and longer shackles and go that route, even if it meant going to an off-road shop that does this type of work.

Adding more support is the only solution that will work well when the bed is empty or loaded. With the extra weight the shocks also work harder and I replaced the ones on my truck with Rancho XL adjustable shocks. I adjusted the front shocks to prevent porpoising and the rear shocks for the weight of the camper. With the Rancho shocks it took about 60 seconds to adjust the dial on the shocks for the dampening I wanted with twice as much at the rear as at the front.
I just picked up a 2022 platinum with Max tow. It has 3 leafs. The sticker does not say max payload. Can you shed any light on this?
Sponsored

towpro

First Name
will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat Powerboost
I don't think I read what kind of popup camper you have, does it have an A frame hitch on it?
I would think the correct fix would be weight distribution hitch. You can get them for not much over $300 bucks, many WITH sway control. One thing I can tell you about RV's is you will be getting a bigger one before long, than just buy the correct bars to match your toung load and your good to go.
Weight distribution hitches can have positive affects even of your springs don't require them.
I even run them with my 7'x14' box trailer behind a 3500 Dually. by putting that weight transfer bar on to transfer a little load forward on the truck suspension I feel it makes the truck rider better, it will stop the affect where the rear of the truck will bounce up and down when the whole rig goes over some of the bumps. I think they call it porpoising and the fact you are also looking for shocks makes me think is some of what you are feeling.

I have also tried:

airbags (older ford rangers), hated them. Always fiddling with adding air and if they go flat they get distorted.

add a leaf springs (older ford rangers), they change ride height on some trucks, and make ride harder.

Sumo springs (on a motorhome), they worked great if your load is always loaded, but they don't make them for our truck.
I have not tried timberlin bags but I think they might be pretty much like the Sumo.

Adding larger rubber bumpstops to the upper over load springs on a Dodger 3500, it worked wonderfull as they only kicked in as truck begin to sag (Torklift calls these upper stableload I think). But our trucks don't have upper overload springs.

Torklift StableLoad Suspension lower overload springs. When I was carrying a 4800lb Arctic Fox camper on a 2018 Ram 3500 dually the back would sag just a little below level so I tried these Torklift lower overload springs, they worked well, you could enable them before loading weight, or disable them when empty for ride. What they did was make the lower overload stiff spring kick in sooner as you loaded the truck. They also make one for our trucks.

Any any other young RV owner, someday you will be switching to a bigger RV.
At that point you will absolutely need weight distribution hitch, so why not just buy one now before you run out and buy a spring solution you may not need? They make them so you can buy different spring bars to match your weight. Just get one that allows you to switch to heaver springs in the future.

Not sure what your weight load is, but you said 2 dirt bikes in bed as well, so maybe start out by running your truck over to a cat scale and weigh the rear axle empty.
than next time your loaded with the camper and bikes weigh it again.
that difference could be considered tong weight because in affect adding the camper AND bikes is your weight increase. I bet that number goes up 1000 lbs. Maybe consider 800-1000 lb weight distribution hitch? I am sure there are others on here that have been through this and will agree in my discussion?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I just picked up a 2022 platinum with Max tow. It has 3 leafs. The sticker does not say max payload. Can you shed any light on this?
I know it's confusing, but while Max Payload (HDPP in Ford language) does add the 3rd leaf, you can get the 3rd leaf without Max Payload option. As you pointed out, Max Tow also gets the 3rd leaf.

Another way to look at it is if you are ordering a truck, you can order Max Tow without Max Payload (HDPP)
But you can NOT order the truck with Max Payload (HDPP) without Max Tow.

An HDPP-Max Payload F150 includes Max Tow no matter what.

HDPP F150's are not common. They are built on a specific frame. (only available in 157", by the way)

Ironically Ford will not let you order a Powerboost with HDPP option. Yet arguably the 157" Powerboost is built on a frame that is very similar to the HDPP frame. It also comes with the 3 leaf rear suspension regardless of whether it is Max Tow or not.
And it makes sense Ford does that because of the extra 550lbs of Hybrid equipment onboard. So magically Ford increases the Powerboost Gross Vehicle weight by 300+lbs over the non Powerboost. Yet they won't just rate it as HDPP eligible?

Technically it's HDPPlight? Lol

I think @HammaMan has studied this extensively. He makes a pretty good argument that while the Powerboost takes its expected hit on the yellow Cargo Capacity sticker on the door jamb, and thus IS the "legal" capacity of the truck, again arguably Ford may be rating it (Payload) conservatively because they intentionally discourage HDPP F150's. Now more than ever.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The PB's frame is the strongest of all sans the raptor. Like the raptor, the PB's frame is unique to it. The new platinum owner above however didn't state which truck he took delivery of.

As for airbags @towpro, anyone needing the 'boost' from regular use would benefit greatly from adding an auto / remote pump system. I'm working on adding a dual-pump, dual channel to mine with a 3 way valve that allows one channel to be diverted to a standard air connect. The app allows for presets which makes airing up tires a rather easy thing to do with a locking air chuck. I run 40 psi on the truck so setting hitting the 40 psi preset is as easy as hooking up the chuck to a tire and waiting for the pump to shut off. It can take all 4 tires from 20 to 40 psi in just over 2 minutes if used with a multi-wheel inflation system inspired by the off-roading crowd.

Not sure when I'll be completely done with everything I've got going on -- haven't even posted up the method I've used for installing the folding running boards on the PB w/ no HVB cooling loop modifications.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
HDPP F150's are not common. They are built on a specific frame. (only available in 157", by the way)

...Ford may be rating it (Payload) conservatively because they intentionally discourage HDPP F150's. Now more than ever.
HDPP is also available in both the shorter 141.5” regular cab long bed configuration/wheelbase as well as the longer 164.1” extended cab long bed.

IMO, HDPP only exists on the F-150 for touting Ford’s unrealistic towing/hauling figures. If ‘Best in Class’ numbers were unimportant for advertising copy; the 7,850lb GVWR package wouldn’t exist.

Why Ford is underrating the Powerboosts is another thing entirely and I think it might have something to do with either the engineering department or the bean counter’s actuary tables not being 100% certain about the hybrid drivetrain when pushed to its limits. Especially now since there’s no word on any Powerboost Superduty trucks in the near future.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had assumed since it was NOT available in the 145" (and 122"), that it was only available in 157"

Thanks for education. :)

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I had assumed since it was NOT available in the 145" (and 122"), that it was only available in 157"

Thanks for education. :)
Any time! It’s not like you would have seen any at dealerships, since it’s almost a secret menu item.

I never bothered configuring any crew cabs but it’s really weird that they won’t offer the 7,850GVWR package in the crew cab shortbed. My only guess is that CAFE numbers would be threatened if too many people checked the HDPP box when ordering the most popular configuration. Especially since the Powerboost specific 7,350GVWR is available on the 145.4” wheelbase Supercrew shortbed.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...2021/f150/pdfs/2021-F-150-Technical-Specs.pdf

Before corporate average fuel economy standards were the big thing that they are now, you could kinda get more options for your truck. Even then though, there were shenanigans with catalytic converter requirements that had the F-100 being made side by side along with the F-150, very similarly to how there’s capability overlap between the HDPP trucks and certain Superduty configurations. It’s hard to keep track of it all and Ford doesn’t mind that someone dropping $80K on an F-150 might mistakenly believe that they can tow 14K pounds with another 2K pounds in the truck.

Ford F-150 Solutions for weight sag in rear? E2C69E25-5946-479E-B009-E717855B87B9

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
With my Max Tow only the truck has 2 leaf springs and a 1800 lb payload rating. It does not have the max payload package which has a third leaf spring.

I like the idea of the Spring Works package if there is one for the F-150 truck. I checked and the SuperSprings approach is not nearly as good.

Add load support and most likely the factory shocks will be OK. If there is porpoising with a camper in the bed then it is worthwhile to upgrade with adjustable shocks like the Rancho ones.

Reactions: J-C

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Actually a Powerboost with or without Max Tow gets the 3-leaf leafpak, leading to even more confusion.

You can equip a truck with Max Tow and it NOT come with HDPP Max Payload.
But you can not equip the truck with HDPP Max Payload without Max Tow.

OP
OP
J-C

J-C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT 5.0 SCREW 157"wb FX4
Update: It's done!
Howdy, y'all. So glad to see the continued discussion on here. Thought I'd "close the loop" re: my original post.

I went crazy in Boise! Had the Boise Spring Works folks install my Bilsteins at maximum front height and then build spring packs to bring the rear up to match (or just exceed). Then I accidentally wandered into a tire shop and got new tires, too (upgrade from ~32" H/T types to ~33" A/Ts). Yay!

Now I've got to get the hang of managing my LT tires. I've never had 'em before, and I'm not sure how to determine best pressure...

Here's a before pic, and a couple of afters:

Ford F-150 Solutions for weight sag in rear? 20221210_071453

Ford F-150 Solutions for weight sag in rear? 20221210_071932

Ford F-150 Solutions for weight sag in rear? 20221210_072032

###

Sponsored

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Nice looking rig. How do you like the Project M?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well done!

Try the chalk test for determining inflation?

OP
OP
J-C

J-C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well done!

Try the chalk test for determining inflation?

Oooo, great - thanks! I want it all, of course: road comfort, best possible fuel economy AND maximized tire life. 😆

OP
OP
J-C

J-C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nice looking rig. How do you like the Project M?
I'm certainly digging it so far, @flatag. I've been interested in Four Wheel Campers for years. I imagined getting their "shell" (mostly bare inside) slide-in model. So when they came out with the Project M, I figured that was even better: half the weight, plus full access to the truck bed. I like the large opening and having my tailgate. Of course, I've already filled it up with all my crap stuff, including all around those pesky wheel wells.

Only real down side so far has been dust. I've made significant progress there, though.
Sponsored

Last edited: