Why leaf springs rear suspension for 2021 F150?

Peter P

First Name
Peter
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT
I noticed in the spy pics that the 2021 Raptor will get five-link independent rear suspension and the article says that it "improved underbody clearance, articulation, and suspension travel relative to leaf springs. They also offer more in the way of ride and handling tuning, meaning the 2021 Ford F-150 Raptor could be even more comfortable"

With all those benefits, why is the regular F150 staying with leaf springs instead of switching to independent rear? Since the engineering/development is already being done for the Raptor, they can just tune it as appropriate for the regular models no?

Striker Hawk

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
I really hope the five-link makes it into the '21s. Couple that with a set of long-travel air-bags in the rear and the Raptor will provide almost everything needed to keep the serious driver happy. By almost, I'm thinking of a light-weight winch at the front end, just enough capacity and line length to ensure self extraction out in the middle of BFE. Carrying a manual come-along in the bed just doesn't cut it in this class <lol>.

Advertisement

Advertisement