Sponsored

2022 F-150 Lariat Powerboost Coolant Leak

PowerBoostSoCal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet Powerboost
I have a '21 Lariet PB, will be one year old end of June. I have 48,000 miles on it and have had only one problem, the radio had to be reprogramed at 700 miles. I just dropped it at the dealer for oil, coolant, transmission and both differential fluid changes and two recalls - reprogramming the trailer brake controller and refitting a heat shield over the drive shaft. Like most of you I have had several Ford trucks over the years (best was a 2020 F250 w/ Godzilla V8, a BEAST, but only good for 13/14mpg) but this dude is so comfortable, everything works as advertised (even Blue Cruise), I honestly get 21 to 23 mpg all day long (lots of hills, highway, but little over 80mph). It pulls like a freight train, makes Camaro drivers wonder what's that guy got under his hood and in general is a plum of a truck. It tows my Airstream without issue and starting w/ a full tank will run the trailer AC, Refer, etc. for a week w/ a half tank to spare. I am so "proud" of what Ford has done with this one - it is a very complicated beast under the hood - but works great. I am eagerly anticipating the Lightning and (GM and RAM electrics too) - BUT not in the market for any of them ... yet. I need the ICE engine for everything described above and don't think charging up in Yucca Valley or Glacier National Park will be something to do for many years to come ... good luck to you all, genuinely wish for you to fully enjoy your PB like I do ...
Sponsored

hussar1683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB (on order)
Good to hear your PB is mostly trouble free. Hoping for the same experience when mine finally shows up. Have you noticed any battery degradation after 48k miles?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Good to hear your PB is mostly trouble free. Hoping for the same experience when mine finally shows up. Have you noticed any battery degradation after 48k miles?
I hope he responds to your inquiry but I'm guessing that any degradation in his battery would go unnoticed. If you monitor the PID for the battery charge state you will discover that Ford keeps the battery in a very conservative range. Basically 45%-65%.
It's going to be difficult for the truck to be impacted by the normal or traditional battery degradation.

And one other attribute of the Powerboost battery is its tiny by Hybrid standards. I don't know what that means for any future out of warranty replacement cost, but it sure shouldn't be what batteries 10x's or 20+x's its size would cost.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I hope he responds to your inquiry but I'm guessing that any degradation in his battery would go unnoticed. If you monitor the PID for the battery charge state you will discover that Ford keeps the battery in a very conservative range. Basically 45%-65%.
It's going to be difficult for the truck to be impacted by the normal or traditional battery degradation.

And one other attribute of the Powerboost battery is its tiny by Hybrid standards. I don't know what that means for any future out of warranty replacement cost, but it sure shouldn't be what batteries 10x's or 20+x's its size would cost.
Do you know why Ford only lets the Lithium battery to charge to 65%. I understand why discharge is limited to 45%. Why would extending the 65% to say 85%?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I don't know why, but I am not a EV or Hybrid battery expert. I only understand the concept of battery life and from what little I understand, Ford is being very very conservative out of the gate with this battery.

I don't need them to loosen up with it for more minutes between generator recharge cycles. I'm amazed already at how they managed that aspect, but can you imagine the potential additional EV mileage with just 10-15% wider spread for cruising?

I think Ford updated the MachE with a wider spread after about a year of feedback data on the fleet. Could the Powerboost get the same? Are they holding back so they can release better CAFE year to year?

Dropping the CAFE by 1mpg on the 2022 is going in the opposite direction. Lol

Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
It was interesting that Ford dropped the CAFE by 1 mpg.

Coming back from my son's tonight got 28.6 mpg per the "Lie-O-Meter". 17.3 miles total and 5.9 electric miles. The highest speed limit was 55. There's a lot of 45 mph speeds also. It was 45/35/25 through the Town of Ashland, VA.

Stuinbillings

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Neurosurgeon
Same problem with my 2022 F150 Powerboost ml3z5a212w. Happened at 750 miles on 3/30. Has been in the shop waiting for a new part since then with no end in sight. They gave me an Ecoboost to drive. Kind of fun to zoom around in and easy to park but not adequate for my needs. Registered with Ford Customer Service. I'm surprised they haven't recalled all of these vehicles. 2 days before, I was up in a remote area with my sons and a young grandson. If this had occurred there, where there was no cell service, we could have all suffered great harm. I just don't get it. Why doesn't Ford put out some real information on the fix?

deceptic0n

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Same thing happened to me. It was a faulty coolant crossover pipe. And there's a severe parts shortage. My truck has been in the shop for 8 weeks now with no ETA on the replacement part. Truck qualifies for lemon law protection if I want it. Luckily the dealership gave me a loaner F150, it's a 2022 but a lower trim.

deceptic0n

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Same problem with my 2022 F150 Powerboost ml3z5a212w. Happened at 750 miles on 3/30. Has been in the shop waiting for a new part since then with no end in sight. They gave me an Ecoboost to drive. Kind of fun to zoom around in and easy to park but not adequate for my needs. Registered with Ford Customer Service. I'm surprised they haven't recalled all of these vehicles. 2 days before, I was up in a remote area with my sons and a young grandson. If this had occurred there, where there was no cell service, we could have all suffered great harm. I just don't get it. Why doesn't Ford put out some real information on the fix?
Same thing happened to me and I was also given an Ecoboost loaner. No chance of that fitting the family. Argued up to an Escape, and then finally an F150 STX. It's ok I guess.

TillerJV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch
Occupation
Manager
New Issues - while still awaiting the exhaust heat exchanger replacement (which leaks coolant at a rate of a gallon every two weeks), my truck simply stopped in the middle of a neighborhood street. I had turned from a stop sign and the engine killed itself - when into park and wouldn't restart or allow shifting. The dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Though I failed to take a picture of the dashboard, my Ford Pass logged the following: Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power; High-Voltage Battery Warning; Restraints Indicator Lamp Warning; Charge System Fault. I was able to restart after a twenty-five minute pause in the middle of the street. Drove the last mile to house and set up service appointment the next day. Truck was in the shop for three days and they "could not reproduce the issue" - reset the software, gave me my 5th gallon of coolant and said "let us know if it happens again." I have had Ford F150 trucks since 1988 and have never experienced this.

I am at a loss and am not sure where to turn.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
New Issues - while still awaiting the exhaust heat exchanger replacement (which leaks coolant at a rate of a gallon every two weeks), my truck simply stopped in the middle of a neighborhood street. I had turned from a stop sign and the engine killed itself - when into park and wouldn't restart or allow shifting. The dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Though I failed to take a picture of the dashboard, my Ford Pass logged the following: Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power; High-Voltage Battery Warning; Restraints Indicator Lamp Warning; Charge System Fault. I was able to restart after a twenty-five minute pause in the middle of the street. Drove the last mile to house and set up service appointment the next day. Truck was in the shop for three days and they "could not reproduce the issue" - reset the software, gave me my 5th gallon of coolant and said "let us know if it happens again." I have had Ford F150 trucks since 1988 and have never experienced this.

I am at a loss and am not sure where to turn.
Hey there! I can look into your F150's concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info?

TillerJV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch
Occupation
Manager
VIN: 1FTFW1ED4NFA03076

Fort Mill Ford
801 Gold Hill Road, Fort Mill, SC 29708

TillerJV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch
Occupation
Manager
Sent direct as a new conversation - hope that is what you asked. Thanks

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
I haven't heard of this issue hitting the 2021 models. This smells like they changed suppliers.
I had this issue on my '21 Powerboost. Small leak in the driveway every morning. Dealer replaced the heat exchanger and havent seen the issue since.
Sponsored