Sponsored

So you decided to buy an ICE truck.... WHY?

OP
OP
UNIKRN150

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
i weighed it heavily. given that i have access to 30 MW of solar most of the year at my dad's house. i still went against it. when we get to lifepo4 batteries that have 2-8000 cycles i will put up with the inconvenience. Maybe you get 800 cycles out of current f150 batteries... there so many cells involved i just feel we need a much higher cycle capacity for long trouble free operation. Also.. electricity itself is not a cheap fuel. the oklahoma gas and electric is pushing 20 cents a kilowatt hour. summer peak if you charged at that time can be 45 cents. the EV would cost more i suppose than an ICE.

Now if gas goes to four bucks a gallon i will modiy my position. but where are now.. EV is hard to justify.. unless you just a tree hugger. which i am not.
Ha, ha... "four bucks a gallon".

I remember those days!

(California)
Ford F-150 So you decided to buy an ICE truck.... WHY? Gas fill u

..it's not that bad now but it ain't much better!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
UNIKRN150

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
Make the Powerboost a plug in hybrid with some decent range and it would be about perfect. I could drive around town on electric and then hit the highway without a worry on range or lack of infrastructure, or cold weather
The only problem with that (in my humble opinion) is all the tech that's involved in a "Plug-In Hybrid"

I was paranoid enough about all the tech in my "Fully Loaded XLT" to get an ESP.

...SO FAR, my ONLY "problems' have been mechanical ironically enough.

OP
OP
UNIKRN150

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
Because ICE is the only option in a regular cab. I don't need or want a 4 door vehicle. The 2 door does everything I need, is shorter, lighter and more maneuverable. Most importantly to me it simply looks sportier.

The present range of the Lightning would be fine for 99% of my needs, so no hold up there.
Honestly... ME TOO!

But "NOW" I'm glad they didn't offer me a EV-RCSB because my dumbass probably would have bought it!

OP
OP
UNIKRN150

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I wanted a Lighting. It would have been perfect for me - 20 miles to work, occasional Home Depot run, haul my project car around town, nothing big. So why didn't I get one?

Reasons #1-9: It's too big. Won't fit in my garage.
Reason #10: The big screen is dumb and I like buttons.
You would have hated (or... DID HATE) the "idiot lights" of the 80's!

OP
OP
UNIKRN150

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I’ve owned a Tesla Model 3 for 4 years. No issues as a commuter car and traveling less than 120 or so miles round trip. I work from home most days and have a level 2 charger at home. On days when I drive more than 120 miles a couple of times per month, superchargers work great. Before this car, I owned a Chevy Volt. My work commute (2016-2019) was less than 40 miles round trip. But with the Volt, the gas generator would come in and I had maybe 200-300 miles range and could easily add fuel to keep going.

i just ordered a 2024 XLT F-150 hybrid. The main reason is I want to start towing a trailer-camper a few times a month and want 10k hawk capability. Current range isn’t there on EV trucks and I don’t want to be stopping for 60+ minutes every-time I need to charge. Granted Ford access to supercharger network might lower this a bit but I don’t want to wait that long.

If the Ram Charger 1500 hybrid was available - I would have gone with that. But I’m not interested in waiting until 2027 to get one (All production schedules on 1st gen EVs slip so I’m not confident that Ram will release in 2025) though I hope they release in 2025 so we have options.

Alex
Yeah.... the RAM has a WAY COOLER interior. I've just has too many friends who bought RAMs and had maintenance horror stories.

Sponsored

OP
OP
UNIKRN150

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
This.

I get why people buy Teslas -- especially Model 3s. For a daily commute for most people, you're not going to run out of range, especially if you have charging on the other end. Even for a roadtrip, sure, you're going to stop more often than you would in a gas car, and you're going to be there for probably three times as long as filling up the tank... but you're talking 15 minutes instead of 5. Most would happily take the liesurely walk.

The Lightning (and Cybertruck) is a beast of a performer, don't get me wrong; but a large proportion of pickup truck drivers use their vehicles differently than somebody who buys a mid-size sedan.

People who buy pickup trucks tow large things with them. People who buy mid-size sedans don't.

People who buy pickup trucks sometimes like to put off-roady tires on. People who buy mid-size sedans don't.

People who buy pickup trucks likely do longer regular drives than those who buy mid-size sedans, given the comfort that the increased size offers / having a couch on wheels effect. That couch on wheels means if you're a road-tripper, you're waiting a while to fill that battery up.

Gas is better than EV for those types of uses.... and a lot of those are what pickups are primarily used for. Sure, we all love the idea of our 7000# truck going 0-60 in 4 seconds and the ridiculous concept of that... but most people don't do 0-60 runs every day; or even more than once.
Funny you should mention that because as a RCSB V8 owner... I wanted an "actual" off-road truck that would give me the ability to negotiate tight mountain roads while towing a trailer with all the crap I would have normally stuffed in my "back seat". INCLUDING my "gas cans"!

walnutF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 3.5 EB Platinum
I'm interested in hearing from people who were considering a "Lightning" and decided to go with a Gasoline Burning engine powered truck instead...

And I'm sure THIS GUY would be too if he weren't a "to be avoided at ALL COSTS" POS troll... (FYI)
FoMoCo.jpg
Decided I am not drinking the EV koolaid. Most everything on EV's are overstated and overpriced. Ran the numbers and the ICE for me was the only way to go. I travel long trips 350-550 miles (who wants to stop in Chicago to charge the truck when going to Michigan) and we live in WI which has some pretty cold weather. I am hoping the EV stupid ceases.

OP
OP
UNIKRN150

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
EV over promising. They will get better as batteries get better, denser. Realistically I don't see a pickup truck EV ever being a tow vehicle though. Very good grocery getter.
I don't know about that... I see Tesla Semi-Trucks all the time here in the SF Bay Area.

Now "granted".... they're only towing Potato Chips from across the bay but...

Ford F-150 So you decided to buy an ICE truck.... WHY? tesla-semi

They look pretty damn cool! And the diver sitting dead center in the cab is pretty trippy....

CJ74

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 mach e, 23 F150 Powerboost
I have a mach e gt and I was pretty interested in the lightning. I know all about charging, cold weather range loss, ect. I don't drive long distance much and I love the power it has. Ford had $7500 in rebates on the lariat untill the beginning of Jan but cut them out in Dec. That aggravated me so I bought a powerboost instead and that's probably what's best for us to have one of each. It's a lot easier to find a gas station when we do go on a trip than a charger.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I have a mach e gt and I was pretty interested in the lightning. I know all about charging, cold weather range loss, ect. I don't drive long distance much and I love the power it has. Ford had $7500 in rebates on the lariat untill the beginning of Jan but cut them out in Dec. That aggravated me so I bought a powerboost instead and that's probably what's best for us to have one of each. It's a lot easier to find a gas station when we do go on a trip than a charger.
I too have one of each. There's no comparison between the PB and any of the EV trucks. More than double the range in summer and triple in winter. The MME is my beater and is strictly limited to journeys that require no public charging. The PB's ability to cross a few states before needing fuel is awesome.

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I don't know about that... I see Tesla Semi-Trucks all the time here in the SF Bay Area.

Now "granted".... they're only towing Potato Chips from across the bay but...

tesla-semi.jpg

They look pretty damn cool! And the diver sitting dead center in the cab is pretty trippy....
Pepsi (Frito) did buy into them. Lots of repeat local routes going short distances. It's not the same as a Lightning or other pickup truck though. Batteries in those Tesla semi are huge.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The PB's ability to cross a few states before needing fuel is awesome.
Even The Mighty Powerboost has to stop to get recharged between Beaumont and El Paso. So a single state challenge it can't overcome.

However, even if it had double its range, I don't know a human alive that can hold their bladder to match. 😬

Fox146

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
The only problem with that (in my humble opinion) is all the tech that's involved in a "Plug-In Hybrid"

I was paranoid enough about all the tech in my "Fully Loaded XLT" to get an ESP.

...SO FAR, my ONLY "problems' have been mechanical ironically enough.
I get what you saying, which is why I got an ESP on my PB, but realistically it’s only adding a plug in, a bigger battery and maybe a different motor.

CJ74

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 mach e, 23 F150 Powerboost
I too have one of each. There's no comparison between the PB and any of the EV trucks. More than double the range in summer and triple in winter. The MME is my beater and is strictly limited to journeys that require no public charging. The PB's ability to cross a few states before needing fuel is awesome.
My wife drives the mach e mainly local. We charge it at home. We took it to gatlinburg in Dec and it wasn't bad but I wouldn't want to try to drive it across the country, the range is too short and the infrastructure isn't there. I am looking forward to taking the PB on a trip.

AlexRod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla, Ordered: 2024 XLT SCMB PB FX4
Occupation
Web Content Manager
Yeah.... the RAM has a WAY COOLER interior. I've just has too many friends who bought RAMs and had maintenance horror stories.
A friend of mine has a RAM truck and loves it. He says he'll always buy them in the future. I think the RAM Charger plug-in hybrid is a great solution given my experience with the Chevy Volt. I really wish they were available right now.

The F150 I have on order will be my first truck and I wanted the onboard generator for camping and energizing RVs, towing a camper, and the hybrid drive train. I've enjoyed driving the Tesla for its quiet ride and acceleration but I wanted a truck for towing. TBH, I'm a little concerned about build quality and reliability but there are a whole lot more moving parts in a half-ton truck LOL. So I'm hoping for the best.
Sponsored