Replacing CCD suspension with Fox or King

kishorejoseph

First Name
Kishore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Limited
Hi all, I have a 2021 Limited with the CCD suspension. Bought the truck used and didnt think too much about them at the time. Has a puck level on it with 35s but want to swap out the shocks for something a bit more off-road focused. I can't find anything though. Are there any options for this CCD truck? Had Fox 2.5s on my Tacoma and then the Fox springs on my Gen 2 Raptor.

Any advice is appreciated!
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You'll have to address the VDM module expecting to receive feedback from the electronic shocks.

But I doubt it would cause any kind of CEL. Afterall, the default behavior for failure of one of the dampers is to disable all 4 corners. Which by the way, automatically sets them to maximum damping. (the opposite of the Raptor)

You should experience that yourself just out of curiosity. They are definitely a firmer damper set to maximum damping. To test it, simply unplug the driver's side rear shock. You'll see the connector easy enough when you trace the wire from the top of the shock. (not the wire from the scales)

Drive around a couple of days.
In fact, take it off road.
It's not going to be Fox 2.5 DSC good, but it IS better than the oem CCD damping map.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
You'll have to address the VDM module expecting to receive feedback from the electronic shocks.

But I doubt it would cause any kind of CEL. Afterall, the default behavior for failure of one of the dampers is to disable all 4 corners. Which by the way, automatically sets them to maximum damping. (the opposite of the Raptor)

You should experience that yourself just out of curiosity. They are definitely a firmer damper set to maximum damping. To test it, simply unplug the driver's side rear shock. You'll see the connector easy enough when you trace the wire from the top of the shock. (not the wire from the scales)

Drive around a couple of days.
In fact, take it off road.
It's not going to be Fox 2.5 DSC good, but it IS better than the oem CCD damping map.
I recently installed air suspension and I think the CCD damping has added difficulty to finding the right psi for unloaded comfort. I’m thinking about unplugging the CCD connection and seeing if that will help with better fine tuning with my air suspension setup. Have you played with unplugging the system?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes. I unplugged the driver's side rear shock. And just as the service manual described, the system defaults all 4 shocks to maximum damping.

It would be similar to having analog adjustable shocks and dialing them to max. Although, in my opinion, my Fox 2.5 DSC setup on my 2018 F150, when adjusted to maximum damping, would be considerably "firmer" than the CCD shock are at Max.

My seat of the pants damping dyno 😁 concluded that Ford's CCD damping range has overlap with Fox's damping range, but it's firm-end of that range overlaps with the soft-end of the Fox range, if you know what I mean?

If I were to go off-road on this luxury yacht and intended to drive at any kind of speed? I'd just unplug the rear shock and pretend that I just chose "Firmest" setting on an adjustable shock system. Takes less time than it did for me to walk around my previous truck and dial all 4 corners. :)

OP
OP
kishorejoseph

kishorejoseph

First Name
Kishore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Limited
I finally got around to testing this out by unplugging the shock. And you are correct, it gets much stiffer than what Ford allows in Sport mode.

I also just went ahead and took your advice and ordered the RAS HD model, they're on sale for $100 off right now. I'm looking forward to them. Sport mode paired with the RAS should fair well for me until I can get someone to fit some Fox/Kings on these CCD trucks.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you tow heavy?

I only ask because the HD RAS might be difficult to tune as "gently", for an empty truck.

Or put another way, since it's a stiffer spring itself, its range of influence starts at a higher damping rate, if you will.

I'm only considering an empty truck bed circumstance. And I'm also being picky about subtle tuning. I barely have RAS engaged. About 1/2 of what their recommended lower setting is.
(they provide 2 plastic disks that you use to "measure" the preload on the coilspring. I'm set less than the thinner disk. But admittedly I'm not using the product exactly for what it's intended)

OP
OP
kishorejoseph

kishorejoseph

First Name
Kishore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Limited
Do you tow heavy?

I only ask because the HD RAS might be difficult to tune as "gently", for an empty truck.

Or put another way, since it's a stiffer spring itself, its range of influence starts at a higher damping rate, if you will.

I'm only considering an empty truck bed circumstance. And I'm also being picky about subtle tuning. I barely have RAS engaged. About 1/2 of what their recommended lower setting is.
(they provide 2 plastic disks that you use to "measure" the preload on the coilspring. I'm set less than the thinner disk. But admittedly I'm not using the product exactly for what it's intended)

I don't tow heavy necessarily or often. Mostly my Goldwing and other bikes on a small trailer. However, with passengers and dogs and a few stuff in the back including my topper. I seem to meet my payload quite frequently on this Limited model. The payload is like 1200 lbs or something. That said the guys at RAS did say the HD can be set to mimic the SD and should be fine. Fingers crossed let's see what happens.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cool.
I didn't want to sound discouraging.
RAS turned out to be a great way for me to feeeeel like I had raised the lowest (softest) damping in the rear.

Normal mode on a bumpy road was so underdamped that I was NOT going to live with CCD. RAS transformed that lowest threshold and gave me the optimism necessary to follow through with all the other efforts.

I hope you find it to be so for you too.
CCD is such a nice technology. Ford just programmed it with too much Buick for my tastes. :)

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I drove around for a bit with the CCD unplugged. Definitely firmer. I’ve realized that I change the drive mode fairly frequently so having the CCD unplugged long term isn’t going to work. Luckily sport damping feels pretty good with my air suspension. I wish they would add the ability to set custom settings. I’d love to roll around with normal engine/transmission settings (to allow electric only operation), normal pedal input, 2WD, and sport suspension. One can dream I guess.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
^^^. YES!

Ford chose to leave active damping unhitched to Driver Select modes in the Raptor.

Why they hitched the 2 in the Non-Raptor is a bit insulting. Lol

Are we not sophisticated enough to select our preferences ourselves?

Honestly, if they were going to hitch the two features together, then don't nix EV cruising in Sport Mode! I'd settle for that. :)

Sponsored

ohsobrown

First Name
Jag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 powerboost platinum
I finally got around to testing this out by unplugging the shock. And you are correct, it gets much stiffer than what Ford allows in Sport mode.

I also just went ahead and took your advice and ordered the RAS HD model, they're on sale for $100 off right now. I'm looking forward to them. Sport mode paired with the RAS should fair well for me until I can get someone to fit some Fox/Kings on these CCD trucks.
How is your truck riding these days?
I bought the 22 powerboost recently from a used dealership. Not knowing that it has CCD.
I could definitely use some advise as to what to do about the wobbly suspension.

OP
OP
kishorejoseph

kishorejoseph

First Name
Kishore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Limited
How is your truck riding these days?
I bought the 22 powerboost recently from a used dealership. Not knowing that it has CCD.
I could definitely use some advise as to what to do about the wobbly suspension.
It's riding pretty good, I have a spacer level up front and I have a set of aftermarket leaf springs in the back (Deaver +3HD). If I were do it again I'd go for the non HD rear leafs but other than that I love the way it rides and I can still tow and haul stuff.

ohsobrown

First Name
Jag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 powerboost platinum
It's riding pretty good, I have a spacer level up front and I have a set of aftermarket leaf springs in the back (Deaver +3HD). If I were do it again I'd go for the non HD rear leafs but other than that I love the way it rides and I can still tow and haul stuff.
Did you have the RAS before you installed the Seaver leaf springs?

OP
OP
kishorejoseph

kishorejoseph

First Name
Kishore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Limited
Did you have the RAS before you installed the Seaver leaf springs?
I did, I had the RAS HD with the leveling collars up front. The RAS HD was turned up all the way and it definitely felt better than stock and helped offset the rear hanging low while hauling or towing.

My issue was I'm sure my rear springs were ruined overtime on a drive up to Alaska from too much weight z. It progressively got more and more bouncy in the back.

I'd say the RAS HD by itself if you don't overload the rear is a great addition. But that said, Deaver +3 in the rear rides better than when the RAS HD was on the truck with the stock suspension still good.

RAS HD is definitely better bang for the buck, but I'm impartial to the Deavers. They are more expensive but I feel like they ride better. I'd recommend a set of Deavers to anyone wanting a better ride (in terms of handling and managing weight without ruining comfort).

However, if your stock leafs are good I'd imagine the RAS HD to be as good as adding new progressive leafs in the back. It will definitely be better than stock, especially if you haul or tow and you notice yourself squatting.

nrs1417

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Expedtion
Have you figured out how to bypass the CCD so that we can run Kings but still have drive modes available?

if not, I believe I saw a thread where you changed the stiffness in the VDM of the factory struts, can this be done on the expedition and do you change the values for each drive mode or is it if you change the values to stiffer it affects all drive modes?
About to start playing with Forscan…!
Thanks, I need your knowledge

- Nick
Sponsored