CCD Suspension Retrofit?

MikeYQM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost | 2013 BMW M3 Comp
Has anyone looked into the possibility of a retrofit of CCD onto a 2021 Platinum Powerboost?
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I suspect it's doable if you are bound and determined to buy a considerable number of components. Modules, shocks, harnesses......

I have a 2022 with CCD and I'm normally the guy who will $pend the coin to get the truck to handle good. I decided to try CCD because it was so inexpensive as an option, but I honestly was skeptical.

Since it would cost you FAR more than $650, and in fact would probably approach the cost of some really nice 2.5's with remote reservoir and adjustable damping, I would recommend go that direction. If you ever drove an F150 with really good quality suspension you might never be happy with oem again.

Having said all that you probably would read between the lines and conclude I'm not happy with CCD? Well, yes and no. Lol

One thing for sure is CCD proves to me that Ford CAN deliver an OEM F150 that rides good on surfaces other than perfectly smooth. Much better. Far less under-damped for when you are on crappy tarmac or crossing railroad crossings with an empty bed.

But here's the rub: unlike the Raptor, Ford associates each damping map (my word) to one of the driving modes, and you can't choose them independently. Argghhhhh

As a result, you can't choose the CCD mode that Ford associated with Sport Mode unless you are in Sport mode. Which I could actually live with since I prefer the shifting strategy of Sport Mode, even when I'm just driving casual, but Ford also decided if you are in Sport mode then you don't care about the truck being a Hybrid. (Powerboost)
So I have to be willing to sacrifice the fuel savings of EV mode if I want the truck to ride composed and well mannered on less than smooth roads.

Irritating to be SO CLOSE to having an empty bed F150 that can use the technology that is already IN THE TRUCK to make yet another serious advance forward in what is possible, yet squander some percentage of that potential for no logical reason. Just let us choose the damping mode with a button. Exactly as they do in the Raptor.

I haven't given up finding a way to drive this truck in Normal mode (for the amazing fuel economy from a 600ftlb of torque truck) but enjoy the CCD damping of Sport Mode.