Remote start - bad for the engine?

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
The issue of remote start is: it makes litte difference, a start is a start... As to alowing it to warm up, that is a good idea since you want to drive out all moisture and stuff. That only happens if you get the entire system warm enough to evaporate water and such. Regarding the tailpipe water: it occurs because the pipe is cold and the water component of exhaust gasses is then condensing on the piping. The worst thing you can do to a car is a lot of short runs without time to warmup properly.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: sbi

Ranger621

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
I have a 2010 F150 Lariat with 112000 miles. I live in michigan and remote start my truck whenever it's below 32 degrees and sits all night to defrost windows. I changed the oil when the computer says it's time. It still purrs like a kitchen. No problems at all.

yamaholic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F-150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 2013 Aprilia Dorsoduro
Occupation
Computer geek
Now that I have the luxury of remote start with my truck and winter is finally getting to PA - wanted to get a public consensus of this topic. There's lots of back and forth on this out there (https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/are-remote-car-starters-bad-for-your-vehicle/), but I wanted to hear from the truck owners themselves...

Have any of you experienced any negative impact from regularly using your remote start? Assume a "within parameters" usage - only using the way it is intended to be used (15 minutes max).

Thanks in advance!
-bryan
Hahaha what a ridiculous article...just click bait pretty much! Sounds like something someone in southern CA would write... probably alongside an article that says you should never use 4wd either ? I worked at a shop that installed remote starters for years and most of the local dealers would bring their vehicles to us to have them installed, never an issue and with most newer vehicles coming factory with them as an option now it's obvious they can't be bad for the engine or the manufacturers wouldn't offer them along with a powertrain warranty. When I was a kid growing up on Lake Superior I can remember our parents always having us go out and start their cars in the winter ten mins or so before we'd go anywhere... remote start is a lot cheaper than having a kid!

BIGSTUF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 XLT Powerboost
Now that I have the luxury of remote start with my truck and winter is finally getting to PA - wanted to get a public consensus of this topic. There's lots of back and forth on this out there (https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/are-remote-car-starters-bad-for-your-vehicle/), but I wanted to hear from the truck owners themselves...

Have any of you experienced any negative impact from regularly using your remote start? Assume a "within parameters" usage - only using the way it is intended to be used (15 minutes max).

Thanks in advance!
-bryan
Without putting ALL my business out there lol let’s just say I drive this 2021 Explorer Interceptor for a living. It has the 3.3L Hybrid AWD system which runs on both gas and electric only driving at idle and low speeds much like the Powerboost F150’s. And folks in my line of work are WAY harder on these vehicles than the average daily driver. I can assure you that when I start it up at the beginning of my shift, it usually idles 70-75% of the day, the other 25-30% is pure chaos (high speeds, evasive driving, etc.). Have had ZERO issues thus far.

Ford F-150 Remote start - bad for the engine? 46FEFEBF-EFC8-486D-941F-2FBCBA0665B1
Ford F-150 Remote start - bad for the engine? 7711555F-224A-4337-BE7E-87A9254DA3A5

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As I write this, it is -29 C right now with a wind chill of -41 C, and I do remote start my truck and let it run for about 5 min. or more before I start driving. I live in the country and right onto the highway. It takes me about at least a mile, if no traffic, to get up to 100 km/h, or until I see the temp gauge moving. I have been remote starting all my trucks for years and have always kept them at least to 100,000 miles or more without any problems because they were warmed up.

I know I don't move to fast until I warm up so why should I make my vehicle do the same.:):):)

Last edited:

Sponsored

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
On my 2015 literally remote started EVERY start (even in my garage), just got into the habit of reaching in my pocket as I was heading to my truck and doing the 3 clicks without taking it out of my pocket. Why?.... I just liked it running when I got in, usually (here in Tx) to start cooling the cabin.

Anyway, now have a PB, so remote starting doesn't even necessarily start the engine (unless real cold), the cabin is cooled (including the seats) or heated (seats and steering wheel) a bit before get in, and again the ICE engine is not even "started" yet.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Consider... when you start an engine you are asking the cylinder walls, pistons and rings to go from somewhere around 0ºF or 80ºF to nearly 1700ºF (That's the combustion temperature, so I'll spot you a few hundred degrees if you like) along with a possibly nearly dry cylinder wall... Allowing your engine a few minutes (say three at least) means these critical temperatures can stabilize before power is applied... That has to be good for the engine's life...

juicepower

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX 4x4 VELOCITY BLUE
Occupation
Integration Engineer
Lets start with I just purchased a 2021 XL STX 4x4 about two weeks ago and prior to that I owned 2012 RAM 1500 (Hemi). I used remote start on that all the time and the engine only lasted 134k before a lifter failed and chewed up the cam. With that being said I will never buy another dodge and have remote start on this ford. This article doesn't take into account all the different designs so maybe the people saying its bad had a Hemi when they should have bought a Ford. ;)

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning. 2009 Escape Hybrid.
Owned mine since October, and remote start it every day when get off work. That warm seat and easier ice scraping is what I paid $57k for!
Sponsored