Sponsored

Recent Cruise Control "update" is a safety hazard - how do you submit feedback to Ford?

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
OK, to summarize:

CC Master ON and immediately sets speed - this is "by design" according to the manual and the reason it caught me off guard is that apparently it did not work 'according to the manual' before but rather similar to my previous vehicle and other vehicles that I have driven.
That problem is now solved.

Moving on: Turning CC ON activates Lane Keeping Assist system.
This is not in the manual; it should not be that way; it's wrong and stupid.
In the video below you can see that when I activate CC ON when the vehicle is not in motion, it just turns CC ON alone.
However, whenever the vehicle is in motion and above the minimum CC speed, when turning CC ON it also activates LKA.
My CC is set to Normal, not Adaptive.

Owners manual says the following:

Note: The system stores the on or off
setting until manually changed, unless it
detects a MyKey™. If the system detects a
MyKey™, it defaults to the last setting for
that MyKey™.
I suppose it refers to the dedicated LKA button on the steering wheel. I turned LKA OFF, then CC OFF, but when I turned CC back ON it also turned LKA ON.

I don't see anywhere in the manual this is normal behavior. Perhaps with ACC, but I don't use AAC.

Does this happen to anyone else, LKA comes on with CC ON?
Does anyone have an idea how to fix/disable this behavior? I did not have any DTCs when I finished updating.

Sponsored

Jesup

First Name
Jesup
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
None
Hi Sbi, what’s version of your BC ( 1.0, 1.2 or 1.3)Thanks.

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hi Sbi, what’s version of your BC ( 1.0, 1.2 or 1.3)Thanks.
Hi @Jesup , I don't have Bluecruise. This was my initial suspicion, that some features were enabled assuming the truck has BC.

GypsyDanger

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' XLT
Occupation
Electrician
Well, that still doesn't make it right, does it? :giggle:

Let's say I 'could' get used to speed set up when I turn the system ON, that's easy.
But I don't understand why do they force Lane Keeping Assist on me when the cruise is on.
the single button set is actually pretty common if not the standard in the auto industry across all brands. Ford just starting doing the same with these more recent gens of vehicles. It will never go back to the old style.

Also you lane keep is already on when you turn on the cruise, it goes into Lane Centering automatically. If you turn Lane keep off prior to cruise and then put it in cruise, it wont engage lane centering.

Edit: After seeing your video, that is a bit odd.

Last edited:

GypsyDanger

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' XLT
Occupation
Electrician
I got used to the behavior. What I am still upset about is the inaccurate speed limit data in Ford's system. There are a number of spots (over 10 by my count) in Houston on 59 and 45 where the speed limit in Ford's ACC logic drops to 45 MPH in a 60 or 65 MPH zone, requiring immediate driver intervention as the truck brakes from highway speed in traffic. I have Google Maps up nearly all the time via Android Auto, so I can independently verify the real speed limit. This failure upsets me because Google would likely sell their (more accurate) speed limit data to Ford. I think that this is a safety issue, and one that has a ready solution.

It shouldn't require a class action lawsuit for Ford to address this issue, but I fear that it will, and the folks who get hurt in the mean time won't benefit.

21744728_4.jpg
Do you have Speed limit assist on? I leave Speed sign recognition on but turned off the speed assist so it'll show the posted limit but doesn't try to slow or speed me up at all.

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Haven't tried this in the F150 yet, but in the MME if you're slowly rolling and turn on the cruise system, it activates and jumps to 15mph. It results in an unintended acceleration. That's dangerous behavior in any vehicle with an electric motor as you have instatorque.
Tested in my truck, which still is behind on latest updates from start of year. Stopped hit button it will jump to 12 MPH then rise up to 15 MPH. Jump is not nearly as dramatic without an electric motor even in sport mode.

If rolling 1 MPH or more then error on screen about speed too low to start adaptive cruise. Icon usually showing gauge symbol and speed has "SET" next to it.

If totally stopped hit cruise button it sets cruise to 15 MPH and jumps ahead. This seems to be trying to activate the stop/go mode but radar doesn't see anything close enough it punches throttle for a second.

Ranger621

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
Sounds to me you just need to read your manual on how everything works., then deal with it. There is nothing wrong with the truck.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
The problem with this is if you have a good alignment and are on a nice straight road will little drainage gradient...
If the road is designed properly, you're going to pull to the right off the road. Maybe an old desert road you're okay. Proper roads are crowned or use superelevation on curves. Only on low-speed roads should you find lack of superelevation, though still retaining the crown. Gravel and dirt roads should both also be crowned. If your municipality is lacking, consider FOIA to get ahold of financials and see whose signatures are on the engineering docs. Govt tends to collect the incompetent.

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sounds to me you just need to read your manual on how everything works., then deal with it. There is nothing wrong with the truck.
There is. Nowhere in the manual does it say that Lane Keeping comes on when you turn on Cruise Control. If I missed it, I will appreciate it if you point me to where in the manual it says that.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
There is. Nowhere in the manual does it say that Lane Keeping comes on when you turn on Cruise Control. If I missed it, I will appreciate it if you point me to where in the manual it says that.
Is there a reason you don't like lane keeping?

I find it completely unobtrusive. Hardly notice it is on at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is there a reason you don't like lane keeping?

I find it completely unobtrusive. Hardly notice it is on at all.
That's not the point. I don't really "hate" it, but I don't want anyone to "force" me to use it. The fact that I use cruise control does not mean that I 'must' use LKA as well and no - I don't want to be forced to disable a system that I did not activate. As I said, there is a dedicated button for LKA and the driver decides if/when to turn it on.

In regards to the system itself - I find that in narrower roads, the truck gets too close to the lines, in LKA's opinion, and I don't want to get non-stop steering wheel vibrations.

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a PB 7.2k 4x4 157"
Occupation
Engineer

The manual wont have that. That was added by an update. You would only know that by reading the update details or here. Maybe the manuals for the 24's would have it??

My 22' has not received that update yet apparently. Mine doesn't turn itself on yet.

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The manual wont have that. That was added by an update. You would only know that by reading the update details or here. Maybe the manuals for the 24's would have it??

My 22' has not received that update yet apparently. Mine doesn't turn itself on yet.
Could be. I did not receive OTA so I wasn't in a position to read the changes, I did all my updates via FDRS. And when I read the changes, it does not specifically detail how a certain function is changed, all I see here is (in 6.8.0):
  • For vehicles equipped with BlueCruise this adds support for lane change assist in the cluster.
I guess it is left to the owner to discover what the added support is.

Still:

1. My truck is not equipped with BlueCruise.
2. At minimum there should be a toggle switch in the settings "Turn Lane Keep ON with Cruise Control - Yes/No".

Chappy133

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F 150 Lariat 3.5 EB
Occupation
Retired US Army
Wish the Speed Sign recognition had the option to "coast" to the new lower speed limit vs. applying the brakes. Most of the driving public is speeding and following too closely. When I see a new lower speed limited I hit the "X" and coast to the new speed limit and then hit resume once I am down to the lower speed.
Sponsored