Sponsored

2AActuary

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Plat, Bronco; Audi R8, S5, Q7; Cayenne
At least allow dealers to flash/update the software to make this happen. Also - why not allow it for download to a large flash drive and update via USB port? If they are having a problem with the OTA download size, then move to plan B in the interest of saving face. Right now they don’t appear to even consider contingencies.

Chevy/GMC - who is wayyyyy behind Ford in engine technology has launched a whole marketing campaign off of their Supercruise feature being active in their full-size truck fleet. Ford just can’t get out of their own way sometimes.

On top of this, their Bronco launch has been a disaster with a capital D. My Bronco has had so many delays and should finally be here in the next week.
Sponsored

2AActuary

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Plat, Bronco; Audi R8, S5, Q7; Cayenne
You mean other than having an eco boost engine that has best in class blend of power vs gas mileage? Also has an engine option with a full generator?

I can at least see why people would buy a RAM since their interior is pretty amazing. After the F-150/Ram choice, I believe most people see the Chevy/GMC as a distant 3rd and then another drop off to Toyota.

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Chevy/GMC - who is wayyyyy behind Ford in engine technology has launched a whole marketing campaign off of their Supercruise feature being active in their full-size truck fleet. Ford just can’t get out of their own way sometimes.
Last I saw, GM didn't have the parts inventory to actually deliver Supercruise in their vehicles, despite pushing it hard in advertisements. That may have changed though. I did just see that they are having supply issues on heated seats though, so if they can't warm your backside, do you really think they can have the truck drive itself?

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
You mean other than having an eco boost engine that has best in class blend of power vs gas mileage? Also has an engine option with a full generator?

I can at least see why people would buy a RAM since their interior is pretty amazing. After the F-150/Ram choice, I believe most people see the Chevy/GMC as a distant 3rd and then another drop off to Toyota.
Yeah I guess. Best in class power and epa figures really makes it wayyy ahead

NewtruckinFL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Real Estate
The SuperCruise system may be more advanced if it uses the high accuracy GPS mapping system to actually assist in keeping the car in its lane. No one has clarified if Ford's can do that, or if it just uses the GPS to geofence the feature.

Could chips used during the Job 1 builds be deficient? How about our other hardware components? Odd that they haven't had some Early Access folks try to flash install the system at a designated dealership to see if that could even work. Maybe they have and NDA's were signed, who knows. The black hole of no communication just keeps the speculation going.

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
Supercruise is more advanced but will be available 9 months later…and may even be delivered before my truck gets it. My truck continues to have useless hardware. I may jump ship for a ‘22 Silverado with the new interior. I also am a fan of the “subpar” 6.2 - 10 speed. On the highway it gets the same mpg as I get with my powerboost in my real world driving…With a simple little 2 valve NA motor. I guess I’m weird for liking the simplicity and lack of things to go wrong and replace.

that being said I like my truck and certainly was the correctchoice when I was buying

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
the generator tech alone puts Ford ahead of the pack. No one else has it and even Tesla is playing catch up on that - Elon has said they might try to add it later - but Ford is already delivering it in the PowerBoost and it is incredibly well integrated, with battery saving choices in the Lightning (you can limit how much battery is drawn in order to save some driving range, etc.). GM does not even mention it. Hummer is rolling production now - nada. Same for Rivian and every other competitor.

The Lightning is an amazing complete package at a competitive price point - at rough parity with its ICE siblings - that's a first in EV-land - and in some ways it is nicer than its ICE stablemates due to its superior connectivity and features - such as lighting controls and independent suspension tech that was designed just for these models. All while retaining the utility and features of a "normal" pickup. A true home run that is leaving the competition gasping.

Ford has to get its act together on Bluecruise, but this is a teething, baby step issue. Munro identified some legit shortcomings compared to Tesla's current AP and upcoming FSD, but it is just software - which we are finding takes time. I want bluecruise too, paid for it in my KR PB, am not happy with the delay. But having lived with Elon's constant promises, delays, "soon"erisms, and eventual delivery, I've just learned to be patient. We're all just grasshoppers on this journey. Patience. A few months is not really a big deal. Ford is delivering at lightning speed compared to others that have nothing but vapor. The cybertruck is still on the alpha sketchpad by comparison.

Sponsored

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
comparing the 6.2 in my driving route as well. The tfl article looks like they are talking mainly about trailboss trucks with duratrac tires. That jig is up and may affect tremor for ‘22 as well.

the biggest difference is two days a week I have a two hour drive per day that is under 50mph. The powerboost shuts the motor off a lot, I get 26+mpg those days. It pulls up my overall average. But a major road trip shows little to no difference to the 6.2 a10

yes the generator is a huge advantage. In my case, I don’t end up using it much besides camping. I don’t have a camper and I unfortunately had a natural gas generator on my house already.

Last edited:

NewtruckinFL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Real Estate
the generator tech alone puts Ford ahead of the pack. No one else has it and even Tesla is playing catch up on that - Elon has said they might try to add it later - but Ford is already delivering it in the PowerBoost and it is incredibly well integrated, with battery saving choices in the Lightning (you can limit how much battery is drawn in order to save some driving range, etc.). GM does not even mention it. Hummer is rolling production now - nada. Same for Rivian and every other competitor.

The Lightning is an amazing complete package at a competitive price point - at rough parity with its ICE siblings - that's a first in EV-land - and in some ways it is nicer than its ICE stablemates due to its superior connectivity and features - such as lighting controls and independent suspension tech that was designed just for these models. All while retaining the utility and features of a "normal" pickup. A true home run that is leaving the competition gasping.

Ford has to get its act together on Bluecruise, but this is a teething, baby step issue. Munro identified some legit shortcomings compared to Tesla's current AP and upcoming FSD, but it is just software - which we are finding takes time. I want bluecruise too, paid for it in my KR PB, am not happy with the delay. But having lived with Elon's constant promises, delays, "soon"erisms, and eventual delivery, I've just learned to be patient. We're all just grasshoppers on this journey. Patience. A few months is not really a big deal. Ford is delivering at lightning speed compared to others that have nothing but vapor. The cybertruck is still on the alpha sketchpad by comparison.
Agreed that Ford is moving fast to distance itself from its legacy automaker habits. Just a few short years ago I thought Ford was lightyears behind other manufacturers in tech and innovation, and applaud the work that Farley and team are doing. It is depicted in the stock price. What I'm surprised about is how they seem to allow unforced errors such as this blue cruise situation. You create an early access group and get them excited to beta test new software, then ghost them while rolling said software out to new builds instead, in some cases surprising customers who didn't expect the system to work until they were out on the highway. As a Tesla owner myself, I would say the complaints of software rollouts are the number one issue on their forums. But I don't think Ford needs to follow the Elon script here. If Ford would have just said why they are not rolling out the software to consumers, and not relied upon their CEO to inform its customers indirectly to stock analysts, then 90% of this problem would have went away. I think most of us here are understanding. I complain because I want Ford to do better. And while the system does appear to have room for improvement, the reason for the delay as described by the CEO was due to trying to simplify and consolidate the number of over the air updates to get the system to work. If Ford actually sends out an email to its customers to say the reason they are delaying the roll out is to improve the system I would be elated. And finally, they need to fix that blue cruise map that looks like something my 5th grader would prepare. In Central Florida it is just one big blue blob, no way of knowing which highways are BC approved. Google the Super Cruise map, it is simple and clear to understand. I would give Ford an A for effort, a B for execution, and a D for communication on BC. With some minor tweaks they could really be killing it. Problem is I don't think they are listening.

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
I agree. I was all good waiting for as long as needed and was greatful to be able to have the hardware. What pissed me off is the new trucks rolling off the line with it and I’m gonna be waiting a full year and likely 6 months after these new trucks had it.

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch 4x4, 2010 F-150 Platinum 4x4
Not pleased that BC is still not available for my '21 KR. Paid for the HW and 9 months later still no BC this year. Hopefully it'll come sooner rather than later.

BTW did they ever update the towing SW to be able to use the stickers and cameras?
Sponsored