First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Interesting that you didn't have any drive line vibrations after removing the rear blocks. Lowering the rear would slightly increase the output flange angle on a short bed. I guess it's not enough to matter.

When I leveled my truck 2.0" I picked up drive line vibrations around 50 to 60 MPH. I checked the pinion and output flange faces and I was 2* out of phase. I ended up installing a 2* SBC shim, problem solved. I'm not a fan of shims, more of a quick cheap test. I need to find a tapered block that's equivalent to the factory height now.
Sponsored

OP
OP

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Interesting that you didn't have any drive line vibrations after removing the rear blocks. Lowering the rear would slightly increase the output flange angle on a short bed. I guess it's not enough to matter.

When I leveled my truck 2.0" I picked up drive line vibrations around 50 to 60 MPH. I checked the pinion and output flange faces and I was 2* out of phase. I ended up installing a 2* SBC shim, problem solved. I'm not a fan of shims, more of a quick cheap test. I need to find a tapered block that's equivalent to the factory height now.
It didn't change the pinion angle at all because the blocks were flat. The angles the output and input sides were reduced, but should be identical in delta to stock delta.

nezff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 5.0 Space White
Occupation
Firefighter

It didn't change the pinion angle at all because the blocks were flat. The angles the output and input sides were reduced, but should be identical in delta to stock delta.
My 4wd looks like it has shims. Not sure.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Gosh, my truck has flat blocks too. I measured the pinion flange before the leveling kit and it was 2* opposite the output flange. Because of the rake the factory adds negative pinion angle to account for pinion rise during hard acceleration, towing or load squat.

After leveling my truck, the pinion was 0* to the 2* output flange. So that means any pinion rise will create more vibration and explains when I let off the gas at speed, the vibration disappeared (pinion dropped).

Any way, glad it worked out! Your truck looks great with just a little rake!

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
My 4wd looks like it has shims. Not sure.
FWIW the workshop manual makes no reference to 'shims' separate from the 'blocks' in the procedures relating to spring / axle removal & replacement.

There is reference to three different versions of the OE 'blocks', and though not mentioned in the WSM some of those may have a taper cast into them (the WSM does warn about maintaining proper front/rear orientation when reinstalling the OE blocks).

Separate shims are mentioned in the WSM procedure for adjusting pinion angle, but that seems to be for mitigation of a problem, not as OE parts from the factory.

Sponsored

OP
OP

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Yeah the shims arent really any different from low blocks. It's not like they're unsafe or anything. I have shims on my other truck.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
This is the best place for information. I learn something new every day. The participation is the best I've encountered - thanks y'all!

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
lol Alright so the fuel door is plastidipped black. I like it, wife hates it, everyone else seems to hate it too lol. I think it gives the truck some dimension personally.
Seems appropriate - the fuel tank is the black hole where money continously disappears
Sponsored