Rear bed noise after installing Fox shocks

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Installed fox shocks front and rear. I’m having a weird issue I’ve never seen. It’s not leaf related which I’ve had before. Over small bumps it’s the most apparent. It’s a very noticeable duh doomp for a lack of better words. Sounds and feels almost as if rear of truck is being thrown up then down.

Shocks are tight
Spare is tight
Bed bolts are tight

I’m at a loss
Sponsored

OP
OP
flynavy

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Videos:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
Who installed your shocks?

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
Local mechanic.
I would take it back and have them look at it since they did the work and know what process they did to change them out.

Sponsored

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
Sounds like something wasn’t tightened down, triple check the rear shocks by grabbing them and try shaking them to see if they move around. If it’s not that it sounds like the front struts maybe weren’t tightened down properly which is causing the noise. Double check the top 3 bolts and bottom 2 bolts on the front struts.

OP
OP
flynavy

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Sounds like something wasn’t tightened down, triple check the rear shocks by grabbing them and try shaking them to see if they move around. If it’s not that it sounds like the front struts maybe weren’t tightened down properly which is causing the noise. Double check the top 3 bolts and bottom 2 bolts on the front struts.
Rear shocks are definitely tight as heck. I initially thought it was from lack of bedliner but it’s still there after having that done.

It’s frustrating because it’s really hard to explain, and I’m sure it’s something silly. I don’t really feel or hear anything up front but I’ll check the bolts. And I honestly can’t remember if it still made the sound with stock shocks. I’m willing to throw them back on but I lifted rear an inch so I don’t think stock would be a good test.

Jaylars

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 5.4 XLT SCREW and 2021 5.0 XLT SCREW
Occupation
Military
Rear shocks are definitely tight as heck. I initially thought it was from lack of bedliner but it’s still there after having that done.

It’s frustrating because it’s really hard to explain, and I’m sure it’s something silly. I don’t really feel or hear anything up front but I’ll check the bolts. And I honestly can’t remember if it still made the sound with stock shocks. I’m willing to throw them back on but I lifted rear an inch so I don’t think stock would be a good test.
I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. Do you have any gear in your rear underseat storage area that might be bouncing around with the stiffer shocks?

OP
OP
flynavy

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. Do you have any gear in your rear underseat storage area that might be bouncing around with the stiffer shocks?
No insult taken at all, I don’t have anything at the moment though.

dharmon012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
could it be tailgate step? i occasionally get a sound like that but i always attributed it to the sheet of plywood i keep in my bed

Sponsored

OP
OP
flynavy

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
could it be tailgate step? i occasionally get a sound like that but i always attributed it to the sheet of plywood i keep in my bed
No step on mine.

can someone with fox rears measure exposed shock? I have 5.5 and 7 per side. Stage 3 is saying it might be bottoming out.

DPHILLIPS8503

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150
No step on mine.

can someone with fox rears measure exposed shock? I have 5.5 and 7 per side. Stage 3 is saying it might be bottoming out.
Sorry for the resurrection, but did you ever figure out what the noise was? Im having the same issue after having 2' blocks and fox shocks installed....

hammerhead2411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I had this same noise. They were great, then I towed a little heavier than I should've, and started hearing the noise. From a visual perspective, looked like they were busted, as I could see black hydraulic fluid on the piston shaft. I replaced them with bilsteins and the noise is gone. The bilsteins are rough though, don't recommend.

DPHILLIPS8503

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150
I had this same noise. They were great, then I towed a little heavier than I should've, and started hearing the noise. From a visual perspective, looked like they were busted, as I could see black hydraulic fluid on the piston shaft. I replaced them with bilsteins and the noise is gone. The bilsteins are rough though, don't recommend.
Mine turned out being bad bushings, the bolt/metal sleeve was bouncing around in the bushing. Fell right out when i took them off.
Sponsored