First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L 302A 5.5 SB
Hey all, so I got my truck back from Ford after some routine maintenance and letting them know about this issue. I even showed them the video I posted earlier. They tested the truck and said that it was just a normal noise with the coyote engine apparently. The invoice I received after the service stated below:

"SSM 49761 - 2011-2021 Mustang/F-150 - 5.0L - Tick Tap And/Or Typewrite Noise at Idle​
Some 2011-2019 Mustang and F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit a ticking noise at idle after an engine oil change. It is often referred to as typewriter noise because of its similarity to the sound of a mechanical typewriter. The noise in question may be heard on some engines when engine temperatures reach 150°F (65°C) or higher and engine speed is at idle up to approximately 1700 RPM's. It can typically be heard at the front wheel well, and is often isolated to the transmission bell housing or oil pan area. typewriter noise is not detrimental to engine function or durability and has no short or long term effects on the engine. This an operating characteristic of the 5.0L engine and no repairs should be attempted."​
So...at least its in the records and if anything goes wrong later on, they'll see that I brought it in for that and they basically said its fine and to just ignore it haha.

I will note though that this description isn't very accurate. It's not a ticking or tapping, and it doesn't really happen at all RPMs. You can clearly hear it happening around 3200 rpm where the it almost sounds like a loose hanger or something, and its frequency kind of harmonizes with the engine as the RPMs get higher, then fades out past 3500-4000 rpm. This happens at all temperatures, and past 1700 rpm as stated in the SSM. So, we'll see I guess. I'll be writing this in the review survey they will be sending me as well.
Sponsored

psambrose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2018 Mustang GT 2017 Lincoln MKZ
Hey all, so I got my truck back from Ford after some routine maintenance and letting them know about this issue. I even showed them the video I posted earlier. They tested the truck and said that it was just a normal noise with the coyote engine apparently. The invoice I received after the service stated below:

"SSM 49761 - 2011-2021 Mustang/F-150 - 5.0L - Tick Tap And/Or Typewrite Noise at Idle​
Some 2011-2019 Mustang and F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit a ticking noise at idle after an engine oil change. It is often referred to as typewriter noise because of its similarity to the sound of a mechanical typewriter. The noise in question may be heard on some engines when engine temperatures reach 150°F (65°C) or higher and engine speed is at idle up to approximately 1700 RPM's. It can typically be heard at the front wheel well, and is often isolated to the transmission bell housing or oil pan area. typewriter noise is not detrimental to engine function or durability and has no short or long term effects on the engine. This an operating characteristic of the 5.0L engine and no repairs should be attempted."​
So...at least its in the records and if anything goes wrong later on, they'll see that I brought it in for that and they basically said its fine and to just ignore it haha.

I will note though that this description isn't very accurate. It's not a ticking or tapping, and it doesn't really happen at all RPMs. You can clearly hear it happening around 3200 rpm where the it almost sounds like a loose hanger or something, and its frequency kind of harmonizes with the engine as the RPMs get higher, then fades out past 3500-4000 rpm. This happens at all temperatures, and past 1700 rpm as stated in the SSM. So, we'll see I guess. I'll be writing this in the review survey they will be sending me as well.
I own a 2018 Mustang GT with the typewriter noise. It happens at about 2300 rpms, and has been determined to be piston slap, caused by the plasma cylinder liners that Ford used in place of sleeves. The noise in your video does NOT sound the same.

OP
OP
fxxkintallguy

fxxkintallguy

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
I own a 2018 Mustang GT with the typewriter noise. It happens at about 2300 rpms, and has been determined to be piston slap, caused by the plasma cylinder liners that Ford used in place of sleeves. The noise in your video does NOT sound the same.
Yeah I honestly don't think they diagnosed this correctly. But, I have the issue on paper with their response, so if it blows up, its on them lol

Shock82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt V8
Occupation
Pipefitter
Mine is back for the 3rd time with this noise and other stuff. Telling me they think its in with the IMR's or the Hp fuel pump which makes a noise under load for the direct injection. Its odd how they are already talking about a Ford Buy Back claim. Id say its smells like LEMONS! It sounds more like the head has some loose rockers.

Last edited:

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
My rattle is getting really annoying in the colder weather between 3200 and 4000 RPM then it dies down (or i can't hear it) below 4000. I have an appointment booked at the dealer on Mar 4 to look at it.

It basically sounds like when you hold of piece of paper out the window at highway speeds. I put the vehicle in park and increased the rev's from 3-4K and couldn't hear anything. So it's definitely only under load.

Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
**UPDATE**

Got an oil change at the dealership, had them check into the rattle at 3000-4000RPM. They did the oil change and took my truck for a test drive. They claimed that they could not replicate the rattle.

I picked up the truck, THE RATTLE IS GONE. I dont know if there is a heat shield or something they loosened and replaced to get at the oil pan, but there is zero vibration now.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but getting an oil change solved my issue!

Last edited:

Shock82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt V8
Occupation
Pipefitter
Mine is still making the noise after several trips to the dealer. They replaced the intake manifold and told me the noise it normal noise that has to do with the new cylinder deactivation. Yea NO thats BS. No engine should sounds like the valves are tapping out or the drivers side pistions are tap dancing on the cylinder walls. Very sad. Also back in for my second oil consumption test after the first one led to both heads being replaced!

g-dodds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0 4x4 Lariat
Mine is still making the noise after several trips to the dealer. They replaced the intake manifold and told me the noise it normal noise that has to do with the new cylinder deactivation. Yea NO thats BS. No engine should sounds like the valves are tapping out or the drivers side pistions are tap dancing on the cylinder walls. Very sad. Also back in for my second oil consumption test after the first one led to both heads being replaced!
If you’ve had the heads replaced that should rule out bad valve train. And bad valve train is one of my biggest concerns. Of course it could be something in the lower end but I don’t know.

Ford still hasn’t figured mine out and I’m getting tired of taking it back in. But FMC wants me to take it to another dealership and try again.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Darn, weather got below freezing again and mine started rattling again

something must be shrinking in the cold weather and rattling

interesting on a cold day, bringing my truck to the dealership for an oil change (warm inside) made the rattle go away, but then after letting it sit for a couple of hours the rattle is back

back to the dealer for me (on a cold day)

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
I have this that comes and goes. Not sure if it's a exhaust leak or what. Maybe cylinder deactivation under load?? At idle and free rev truck sounds like a sewing machine. More noticeable in sport mode to

Sponsored

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
If you all find out what it is please keep us posted. I have 2021 XLT FX4 with 5.0. I havent noticed anything yet,but it would be nice to know just in case

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0 302a
Occupation
Engineer
I have the same issue on my 21. Had it in twice so far. First time tech acknowledged the issue and reprogrammed the PCM. It helped a little but issue persists. Second time I had it in the same tech said its normal and provided the SSM listed above. I am working on an appointment with another dealer to see if I can get real diagnostic work done.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have the same issue on my 21. Had it in twice so far. First time tech acknowledged the issue and reprogrammed the PCM. It helped a little but issue persists. Second time I had it in the same tech said its normal and provided the SSM listed above. I am working on an appointment with another dealer to see if I can get real diagnostic work done.
Hi there. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

OP
OP
fxxkintallguy

fxxkintallguy

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
**UPDATE**

Got an oil change at the dealership, had them check into the rattle at 3000-4000RPM. They did the oil change and took my truck for a test drive. They claimed that they could not replicate the rattle.

I picked up the truck, THE RATTLE IS GONE. I dont know if there is a heat shield or something they loosened and replaced to get at the oil pan, but there is zero vibration now.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but getting an oil change solved my issue!
So this is actually really interesting. Maybe not a replaced part, but different oil. I was talking to a friend of mine who was a Ford tech for a few years working on the coyote. He was saying that it could actually be the phasers. He suggested using a thicker oil next time I change the oil which I'm planning on trying.

My next oil change isn't for a while, so if someone reads this and is planning on doing an oil change before me, try this and let us know!

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So this is actually really interesting. Maybe not a replaced part, but different oil. I was talking to a friend of mine who was a Ford tech for a few years working on the coyote. He was saying that it could actually be the phasers. He suggested using a thicker oil next time I change the oil which I'm planning on trying.

My next oil change isn't for a while, so if someone reads this and is planning on doing an oil change before me, try this and let us know!
Slight change to what happened, the rattling is better, but it's still a LITTLE bit noticable when temperatures are below 50 degrees. Above 60 or 70 it seems to go away completely.

I'm thinking some bracketry or plastic cover is a tiny bit loose and rattles when it shrinks due to the cold.

Gotta say - this is very weird
Sponsored