Rattle at 3200ish RPM?

66F100Again

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'66 F100, '11 Mustang GT, '21 F150 Lariat
I have this that comes and goes. Not sure if it's a exhaust leak or what. Maybe cylinder deactivation under load?? At idle and free rev truck sounds like a sewing machine. More noticeable in sport mode to
Good that you shared the recording of how it sounds. My 5.0 doesn't make that noise, so the noise isn't 'normal.' The exhaust sounds perfect, so the engine may not be skipping or anything. Is the oil level totally full? How many miles have you put on it? Has it made the noise since day 1? Maybe try changing the oil and putting in 5W-30 (as required); maybe someone at factory or dealer put in 5W-20 by mistake? It does sound a little like valvetrain noise.
Sponsored

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
Maybe worth buying a mechanic stethoscope and trying to pin it down yourself. They cost about $10.

g-dodds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0 4x4 Lariat
So the dealership told me it was the non oem air filter I had in it and replaced it and it went away. I was out of town for Thanksgiving so I had my assistant pick up my truck. I got back in town and on first drive it makes the noise. It makes the noise every time, so dealership was lying.

g-dodds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0 4x4 Lariat

Sponsored

g-dodds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0 4x4 Lariat

66F100Again

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'66 F100, '11 Mustang GT, '21 F150 Lariat
That sounds different than the noise minivanracer is getting; yours does sound like a rattle. Maybe a loose exhaust bracket?
Do you have the un-used clips (clip nuts) in the photo I posted @ #6? I don't hear mine rattle from inside the truck, but they rattle when I tap on the cross member.

g-dodds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0 4x4 Lariat
That sounds different than the noise minivanracer is getting; yours does sound like a rattle. Maybe a loose exhaust bracket?
Do you have the un-used clips (clip nuts) in the photo I posted @ #6? I don't hear mine rattle from inside the truck, but they rattle when I tap on the cross member.
No sir, no loose clips.

g-dodds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0 4x4 Lariat
I have posted on Fords Facebook page and they have escalated this to Truck support team. Here’s the link to Facebook post, if anyone having the same issues can go comment and create a buzz we will quickly get a resolution to this. It’s sad we have to resort to negative social media posts to get something done.

Facebook link

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
I would double check its not the rear window doing the rattle, I've seen somewhere (cant remember where) that it can rattle sometimes when its open, if you notice it again close the rear window to see if that fixes it.
My truck has a slight rattle in the drivers side door glass and I lightly tap the down switch to get it to stop rattling.

Sponsored

OP
OP
fxxkintallguy

fxxkintallguy

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L 302A 5.5 SB
Hey all, the truck is currently at Ford and they are taking a look at the issue. For reference, I’ll attach a video of what I’m hearing.

Attachments

g-dodds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0 4x4 Lariat
fxxkintallguy the video link doesn’t work. I had the same issue when trying to attach from my phone and had to do it from a computer.

my truck has been at the dealership since 12-7-21 and they have gone through all engine bay looking for rattles. Exhaust. Dash board. And now have drained fuel tank and fuel lines and replaced fuel. Nothing yet and Ford engineers haven’ttold them to open up the engine yet.
If you haven’t opened a ticket at Ford motor company yet, I would. In fact open it with the same guy I have been talking to so they now know it’s not just 1.

Ford Motor Company ®
Customer Relationship Center - Truck Team
Karllanar Weekes
[email protected]| www.ford.com
office: 866-631-3788 ext. 79470

g-dodds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0 4x4 Lariat
Hey all, the truck is currently at Ford and they are taking a look at the issue. For reference, I’ll attach a video of what I’m hearing.
I was able to listen to video clip on my computer. Yours sounds a lot different than mine. Almost sounds like the videos of broken flex plate (flywheel)

Shock82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt V8
Occupation
Pipefitter
Mine does the same this. Sounds like a loose baffle plate at the same RPM's under load. Its bad when your 4 year olds says daddy is your engine ok! Note: At 5,000 miles heads were replace to loose valves and oil soaked spark plugs. Still loosing oil somewhere. Truck has been at dealer 4-5 times already for this crap. They say the noise is normal. Until I told them I used to turn wrenches and whipped out my ASE card.? they still have no clue what the noise is. Any input from other would be great. Thanks Happy Holidays!

g-dodds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0 4x4 Lariat
Mine does the same this. Sounds like a loose baffle plate at the same RPM's under load. Its bad when your 4 year olds says daddy is your engine ok! Note: At 5,000 miles heads were replace to loose valves and oil soaked spark plugs. Still loosing oil somewhere. Truck has been at dealer 4-5 times already for this crap. They say the noise is normal. Until I told them I used to turn wrenches and whipped out my ASE card.? they still have no clue what the noise is. Any input from other would be great. Thanks Happy Holidays!
I got a call from Ford motor company today. The dealership has drained fuel tank and was working on draining fuel lines, rails, and cleaning injectors. When complete they were going to fill with 93 octane and test drive.

My reply was “I don’t think that’s going to fix it because I have run a full tank of 93 and it still does the same thing”followed by, “in the event they do say it fixed it, I didn’t buy a sports car, I bought a truck, and I don’t plan on having to use 93 octane”. So what do we do at that point?

They had no answer.
Sponsored