Sponsored

Question about FX4 Package... higher suspension height?

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Hi, guys!

A question about the FX4 package:
Is there a lift of any kind added to the truck when you opt for it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that opting for 4X4 raises the suspension a bit, and I'm wondering does adding FX4 add extra ride height as well? Or is it just skid plates, a bed sticker, and an extra drive mode?

Thanks again,
-SG
Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
AFAIK, there is no additional height added.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Ford only lists “off-road tuned front shock absorbers”, but doesn’t mention anything about ride height anywhere from what I can see. I vaguely remember reading at adds approximately .5” of height to the front, but cannot fully confirm.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I have read on several posts that the rake of the truck is not a pronounced on the FX4 (due to 'off-road shocks'), but I have not seen anything visually to support that.

The new Tremor package will be the only mainline F-150 (ie: not Raptor) to have any sort of lift. Below is what the FX4 provides. If you are comparing against a GMC AT4/Chevy Trail Boss or Ram Rebel, Tremor is your comparison truck (which has not been released yet).

I ordered the FX4 and will be adding a 2" level on the front, that should be more than enough height for me.

FX4 Package
Available on XL High, XLT, LARIAT, King Ranch® and Platinum (4x4 0nly).

• 3.31 Electronic-Locking Rear-Axle with or 5.0L V8 Engine or 3.5L V6 EcoBoost® Engine
• 3.55 Electronic-Locking Rear-Axle with 2.7L V6 EcoBoost
• 4x4 FX4 Off-Road Bodyside Decal
• Floor Liner - Tray Style – Included with King Ranch® and Platinum
• Floor Liner - Tray Style – Less Carpeted Matching Floor Mats – included only when carpet is present with XL, XLT and LARIAT
• Hill Descent Control
• Off-Road Tuned Front Shock Absorbers
• Rock Crawl Mode
• Skid Plates: Fuel Tank, Transfer Case and Front Differential

Optional Equipment:
• 3.55 Electronic-Locking Rear-Axle (3.5L V6 EcoBoost® Engine)
• 3.73 Electronic-Locking Rear-Axle (Requires 5.0L V8 engine (995) or 2.7L V6 EcoBoost® Engine)
• LT265/70R17C BSW All-Terrain Tires (A/T) (XL and XLT only)
• LT265/70R18C OWL A/T (LARIAT; or XLT with XLT Chrome Appearance Package or XLT Sport Appearance Package.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
FWIW, here is a video of a guy comparing a 2019 FX4 F-150 versus the standard 4x4 F-150. He seems to think there is a slight height difference.

Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I have read on several posts that the rake of the truck is not a pronounced on the FX4 (due to 'off-road shocks'), but I have not seen anything visually to support that.

The new Tremor package will be the only mainline F-150 (ie: not Raptor) to have any sort of lift. Below is what the FX4 provides. If you are comparing against a GMC AT4/Chevy Trail Boss or Ram Rebel, Tremor is your comparison truck (which has not been released yet).

I ordered the FX4 and will be adding a 2" level on the front, that should be more than enough height for me.

FX4 Package
Available on XL High, XLT, LARIAT, King Ranch® and Platinum (4x4 0nly).

• 3.31 Electronic-Locking Rear-Axle with or 5.0L V8 Engine or 3.5L V6 EcoBoost® Engine
• 3.55 Electronic-Locking Rear-Axle with 2.7L V6 EcoBoost
• 4x4 FX4 Off-Road Bodyside Decal
• Floor Liner - Tray Style – Included with King Ranch® and Platinum
• Floor Liner - Tray Style – Less Carpeted Matching Floor Mats – included only when carpet is present with XL, XLT and LARIAT
• Hill Descent Control
• Off-Road Tuned Front Shock Absorbers
• Rock Crawl Mode
• Skid Plates: Fuel Tank, Transfer Case and Front Differential

Optional Equipment:
• 3.55 Electronic-Locking Rear-Axle (3.5L V6 EcoBoost® Engine)
• 3.73 Electronic-Locking Rear-Axle (Requires 5.0L V8 engine (995) or 2.7L V6 EcoBoost® Engine)
• LT265/70R17C BSW All-Terrain Tires (A/T) (XL and XLT only)
• LT265/70R18C OWL A/T (LARIAT; or XLT with XLT Chrome Appearance Package or XLT Sport Appearance Package.
Just wondering if you had any issues installing the 2” level with the FX4 package??

A Dog

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I read this thread however what’s the difference if you have Max tow. Mine has 3 inch high difference between front and rear

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I read this thread however what’s the difference if you have Max tow. Mine has 3 inch high difference between front and rear
I believe Max Tow is more influencial on rake/height than FX4 over regular 4X4.
The reason being the different leafpak on the rear suspension.

It's possible Ford could even compensate for that with a different block in the rear, but I'm not sure that they do.

A Dog

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I seen you have 2.0 on your FX, however is it max tow. Is it level?

Sponsored

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Max tow increases the ride height in the rear an inch or so over the same truck without max tow.

If you have max tow combined with FX4, my guess is the rear is essentially the same as it would be without FX4, but the front would be ~1/2” higher.

I have a 145” WB 502A max tow, without FX4. My rake was significant before I installed the level like you mentioned.

Here are my notes on my ride height just for reference.

Stock ride height. From the ground to the bottom of the wheel well. 1/4 tank of fuel, no cargo

LF= 37.5”
RF= 37.5”
LR= 41.25”
RR= 41”

After 2” level:

LF= 39.75”
RF= 39.5”
LR= 41.375”
RR= 41.125”

The slight differences from side to side should settle back to even after things break in a bit. My truck had less than 200 miles on it when all measurements were taken and less than 10 miles difference after the level was added.

I almost got the FX4 package, but I’m glad I didn’t. I already got the most important feature (locking rear) with max tow and adding the level solved all the height problems.

krj1053

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Lariat F-150

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Here are my notes on my ride height just for reference.

Stock ride height. From the ground to the bottom of the wheel well. 1/4 tank of fuel, no cargo

LF= 37.5”
RF= 37.5”
LR= 41.25”
RR= 41”

After 2” level:

LF= 39.75”
RF= 39.5”
LR= 41.375”
RR= 41.125”

The slight differences from side to side should settle back to even after things break in a bit. My truck had less than 200 miles on it when all measurements were taken and less than 10 miles difference after the level was added.
What leveling kit did you go with?

And do you do any heavy towing? Like an RV or anything like that? If so, any problems with squatting in the rear? I’ve seriously considered a 2 inch level on mine and I’ve got Max Tow.

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
What leveling kit did you go with?

And do you do any heavy towing? Like an RV or anything like that? If so, any problems with squatting in the rear? I’ve seriously considered a 2 inch level on mine and I’ve got Max Tow.
This is the leveling kit I have. No complaints. Ride is awesome. A+ overall.

I don’t tow crazy heavy. I have a 16’ cargo trailer that I pack full of quads and gear.

It’s about 75% loaded in this pic (quads and riding gear but no camping gear or extra fuel tanks). 2 cases of water and a ~60lb gear bag in the bed. Probably another ~50lbs of tools, straps, portable compressor under the rear seat. No people inside.

Ford F-150 Question about FX4 Package... higher suspension height? FC2E8243-E59A-4531-8EBD-71BA42BF9137

So yeah, a tiny bit of squat with that load out and the level but not a bunch. If I was 100% loaded it would be worse.

I plan to get airbags like I have done on my previous 2 gen 13 F-150’s to level it back out when I’m loaded.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Every truck (unless exact same option/trim) specifications is going to be different.

My truck, my brothers, and his friends, all have FX4 with Max Tow Package, but each of our trucks sit at a different front and rear height. The Trims are Platinum PB, Lariat EB, and XLT EB.

Since different trucks weigh different amounts, with little changed between the springs any modification to the suspension components will show completely different results between trucks. Granted, that difference may only be a few mm or so between trucks, but my brothers Lariat already sits .25 - .5 inches higher than my truck, and I’d be willing to wager that the XLT sits higher than the lariat, so adding spacers or changing springs are going to give different ride heights.
Sponsored