Pump Whine While on and in Park

Bugzuki

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 PowerBoost Super Crew 4x4
Welp, took the truck in for some recalls and what not and had them look at this issue as well.....

Response from the tech was that this truck uses planetary gears in the transmission so some different noises are to be expected......

I wonder if that includes noises while the truck is in park with the motor off.

Obviously this wasn't satisfactory, so I had the service advisor get the shop foreman and come listen to it. It's hard to hear in the noisy shop so I sent him the video from up above. Supposedly he's going to show it to their in-house ford engineer when he gets back from vacation and run it up the chain....we shall see.
"All" Automatic transmissions use planetary gears. Nothing in the transmission should be spinning when in Park except the Torque Converter.
Glad you talked with the service advisor because that Tech was feeding you a line.
Sponsored

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
My Job 1 truck sounded like that video before I did the calibration updates with FDRS for BlueCruise among other things. Afterwards, it's much quieter. My truck was built on 1/27/21 for reference.

shall

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PB Lariat 502a
@wkarma - any update? I just noticed my PB with the exact same noise.

OP
OP

wkarma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariet SCrew P-p-p-p-owerboost
I actually just emailed the service manager again today (your timing is suspiciously on point!).

He said he never heard anything from engineering back in march but sent it up again and hopefully will hear something next week.

Translation: "i forgot so I just did it."

shall

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PB Lariat 502a
I actually just emailed the service manager again today (your timing is suspiciously on point!).

He said he never heard anything from engineering back in march but sent it up again and hopefully will hear something next week.

Translation: "i forgot so I just did it."
So I assume it’s still happening.. is the sound always there when in park?

I’ll probably give the truck a few days to see if it sorts itself out before heading to the dealer. Bummer to have an issue only 700 mi in

Sponsored

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
Mine sounds similar. My build was 6/21 for
My Lariat PB. With mine it gets quite a bit quieter in park though. But I’m gear I can hear what sounds about the same but not nearly as loud, yet. I’m watching closely before I take another trip to the dealer.

shall

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PB Lariat 502a
Just sent to my dealer - I’ll update once I see any progress on a fix.

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
Yep that is loud as heck! That’s the same sound I have but much quieter. I would imagine it will get worse with time, so I will keep an ear on it.

ThyDayWalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PB Lariat 502A
Yep that is loud as heck! That’s the same sound I have but much quieter. I would imagine it will get worse with time, so I will keep an ear on it.
Same here! Startup noise and all that sounds the same, but mine quiets down to a faint "electric hum" (or as my wife calls them, "hybrid noises"). Doesn't sound normal.

ConiferEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat, Powerboost Hybrid
Just sent to my dealer - I’ll update once I see any progress on a fix.
My 2021 Powerboost makes the exact same noise. I asked the dealer and he said that they all sounded like this. Ugh.

Sponsored

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
Mine makes similar noises.. intensity varies, not sure why. When camping recently and using the generator function I did get asked to turn it off at night (which I did). I also noted that during the hot part of the day more noises are heard.. I think that the cooling system for the batteries kicks in at times; at one point when I checked in on the truck during the hot part of the day I could hear the radiator fan running as I walked up to the truck, along with the noisy pump noise.. shortly after the engine started up.

My truck is fully up to date on the software side.. curious to see what comes of this.

OP
OP

wkarma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm fairly sure it's the battery coolant loop pump. Annoying people while camping is the exact issue that I'm worried about. If I wanted to deal with a generator that made a bunch of noise, I'd have gotten a generator!

Still haven't heard anything back from my service manager or the engineer he's talking too. I'll ping them again.

OP
OP

wkarma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Heard back, and the Service Manager is getting the same spiel out of ford, that it's a normal noise. He said that he's seen a couple more trucks come through making it, but none as loud as mine.

I guess at this point it just needs to happen more for it to become a big enough issue for Ford to do something? Or maybe when they start failing....

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I’ve attached the startup sounds mine makes. Can’t figure out how to get it to remote start without the A/C (and thus, engine fan) coming on. Sounds like the other videos here to me, and is the sounds it has made for 20,000 miles. Seems normal

Sponsored