Powerboost Auto Start/Stop

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Just curious where you found that info. I read the service manual I got for my truck, and based on the starting sequence, this is not something the truck does. It uses the traditional starter for cold starts and the generator/starter for everything else.
Honestly, on here. I’ll see if I can find where. I jives with what I feel though. And I know for a fact the traditional starter is extremely rarely used, source is putting 12,800 miles on my Powerboost.

Edit: attached service manual excerpt I found on here

Ford F-150 Powerboost Auto Start/Stop D483464C-6720-4AFF-8FFE-56FCC2B0B178
Sponsored

Last edited:

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
However, selecting Sport mode will prevent the truck from driving in full electric, effectively negating the hybrid advantage.

You are not losing gains of having the hybrid because you are still getting hybrid drive; you are losing full electric drive. And when you come to a stop in Sport mode the engine will still turn off. Tow/Haul doesn't let the engine turn off until you shift to park. So when I tow, I come to a stop and shift to Neutral and set the park brake so it will idle.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Thanks for the reply. So, if I understand it right, the Auto Start/Stop removal option basically eliminates the ability of the driver to disable that function. Is that correct?
No.

There is no Auto Start/Stop customizable option on a PB. It is a misnomer. Ford announced a removal (eg to save "chips") of Auto Start/Stop on NON-hybrid models, and a $50 credit (I guess for loss of mpg...?).

Does not apply to PB.

PB starts and stops the ICE all the time (sometimes 5+ times in a 2 minute drive, depending on situation). There is no function to enable or disable. Also (obviously) you don't get a $50 credit.

The person who updates the Window Sticker code, messed that up for PB. Just ignore that whole line.

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
source is putting 12,800 miles on my Powerboost.
Can't tell you how much I love that statement. Every time I get on reddit and drop a knowledge bomb based on 60 years of "life," I get some twerp asking me, "source?"

(no disrespect meant to originator of query on your post)

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Auto stop/start shouldn’t be related to a Powerboost at all. It’s non existent and never has been for hybrids. Idk why ford automatically adds it to the sticker, but it’s listed as no charge instead of +50 because there is no change to the vehicle.

Auto stop/start is for full ICE vehicles which turns off the engine at a stop light and then uses the starter to restart the engine when you get ready to leave. It has no power while the engine is off.

Integral to the operation of a hybrid, the engine does not need to be running to drive the vehicle. The computer merely determines which propulsion system (engine, electric motor, or both) is best for the given scenario. Removing the ability to turn off the engine would make it not a full hybrid. Rest assured, auto stop start delete means absolutely 0 for a Powerboost. The engine stopping was never defeat-able and still isn’t (save for sport mode, but that still cuts the engine at a stop). But nothing has changed by ford doing this option
Powerboost has 3 methods of starting the engine.

2 used in normal operation are a belt integrated starter generator which is the only belt on the engine and it uses the small electric motor (starter/generator) to spin up the engine via that belt. This method is used most of the time when the engine is needed while stopped or at low speeds.

Second is effectively “bump starting” the engine by connecting the clutch between the flywheel and the electric motor/transmission assembly, this is used when traveling at higher speeds and the engine is needed.

Third is rarely used which is a 12V starter to the flywheel. In 12,800 miles, I’ve heard this starter 4 times. It’s only used in a condition where the high voltage battery is either very cold, or below minimum state of charge. You would only hear/use this starter when first pressing the ignition. Never while driving.

Also to note, my truck is normally going 5-10mph before the engine starts when accelerating from a light, which is one reason I say it’s nothing like normal auto stop start
OP your question has been sufficiently answered and I have nothing more to add. Source: Owner of a PB for 21000 miles and has read the service manual, which has a lot more information than the regular one (and was written by someone competent and likely had a hand in engineering the truck).

Your going to find that most of Ford, corporate or otherwise, actually has no idea how the Powerboost *actually* works. The website is just the tip of the iceberg.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RCLB 5.0/2022 Powerboost/2023 Maverick Hybrid
OP your question has been sufficiently answered and I have nothing more to add. Source: Owner of a PB for 21000 miles and has read the service manual, which has a lot more information than the regular one (and was written by someone competent and likely had a hand in engineering the truck).

Your going to find that most of Ford, corporate or otherwise, actually has no idea how the Powerboost *actually* works. The website is just the tip of the iceberg.
You Sir are correct. I do believe that my question has been answered. Thank you to all who have weighed in with their experiential knowledge!

It really is sad how little definitive information is readily available for the Powerboost. I will likely invest in a service manual myself, just so I can more easily understand all of the operational sequences & functions of this very complex vehicle, without having to continuously rely on those with Powerboost experience, who kindly answer my queries on this forum.

MonsterTrucker75

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Auto stop/start shouldn’t be related to a Powerboost at all. It’s non existent and never has been for hybrids. Idk why ford automatically adds it to the sticker, but it’s listed as no charge instead of +50 because there is no change to the vehicle.

Auto stop/start is for full ICE vehicles which turns off the engine at a stop light and then uses the starter to restart the engine when you get ready to leave. It has no power while the engine is off.

Integral to the operation of a hybrid, the engine does not need to be running to drive the vehicle. The computer merely determines which propulsion system (engine, electric motor, or both) is best for the given scenario. Removing the ability to turn off the engine would make it not a full hybrid. Rest assured, auto stop start delete means absolutely 0 for a Powerboost. The engine stopping was never defeat-able and still isn’t (save for sport mode, but that still cuts the engine at a stop). But nothing has changed by ford doing this option
Personally, I find the feature quite annoying. I rented an F-150 a few years back for a month or two, and discovered just how annoying it was.

It reminds of my very first month learning how to drive with a broken down piece of junk that was on its way out. Each time I stopped at a light or anywhere for that matter, the car would tremble and shut off. Turning it back on at the stop sign while cars around me would just look over was quite embarrassing. Back then it looked as though I was running on fumes. lol

ClayBell

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Database Admin
It does seem strange to have on the sticker. Maybe they have to program something on the hybrids, but need to a way to make sure it isn’t charged to the customer???

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
In my 2021 Powerboost, there is no option to defeat auto stop/start.

However, selecting Sport mode will prevent the truck from driving in full electric, effectively negating the hybrid advantage.

IMHO a buyer who doesn't want to have auto stop/start on their truck should not choose a Powerboost
A minor note: Sport Mode will still shut off ICE when stopped. Tow Mode will only shut off ICE when in Park.

Sponsored

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Personally, I find the feature quite annoying. I rented an F-150 a few years back for a month or two, and discovered just how annoying it was.

It reminds of my very first month learning how to drive with a broken down piece of junk that was on its way out. Each time I stopped at a light or anywhere for that matter, the car would tremble and shut off. Turning it back on at the stop sign while cars around me would just look over was quite embarrassing. Back then it looked as though I was running on fumes. lol
Let me assure you that Powerboost's On/Off is seemless. It's not at all like the ICE stop/stop, having driven both. I hate the start/stop feature too, it feels cheap.