First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 Powerboost Platinum White 7.2kw pro
Occupation
Retired
I find it annoying that the normal mode of the power boost starts the engine as soon as you press the gas pedal. Is there a way to change this to act like it does in sport mode and the engine starts as soon as you release the brake? This is a much smoother operation in my opinion. Or maybe it could act like the Ford C-MAX where it runs on battery until it reaches 20 miles per hour then the engine starts. Either of these solutions seems much smoother to me is there a way to change this
Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I find it annoying that the normal mode of the power boost starts the engine as soon as you press the gas pedal. Is there a way to change this to act like it does in sport mode and the engine starts as soon as you release the brake? This is a much smoother operation in my opinion. Or maybe it could act like the Ford C-MAX where it runs on battery until it reaches 20 miles per hour then the engine starts. Either of these solutions seems much smoother to me is there a way to change this
It all depends on how hard you get on the gas. You might find it nicer if you roll on the throttle a little slower. It is possible to accelerate to 20-30 on electric only but it would be a snails pace. On my many test drives, I’d usually get rolling 5-10 mph before rolling on the throttle enough to get the engine on. This seemed to be the smoothest and kept up with traffic

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The C-Max (and Fusion) have a huge advantage of having enough electric torque available to get them rolling without ICE assisting. This Powerboost has just enough electric torque to cruise around at parking lot speeds without ICE assist.

Your request for Normal mode to treat auto stop/start like Sport Mode is almost the same request I have in reverse. :)
I want the so-called Sport mode to include EV cruising so that I can experience the far more polished behavior of the 10-speed AND have the opportunity for EV miles while in cruise control. It would be the PERFECT daily driver strategy for me.

The way it's currently programmed has me switching modes during my drives. I'm not going to cry too loud though because at least I have all these choices at my fingertips. :)

OP
OP
mflynndelta

mflynndelta

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
The C-Max (and Fusion) have a huge advantage of having enough electric torque available to get them rolling without ICE assisting. This Powerboost has just enough electric torque to cruise around at parking lot speeds without ICE assist.

Your request for Normal mode to treat auto stop/start like Sport Mode is almost the same request I have in reverse. :)
I want the so-called Sport mode to include EV cruising so that I can experience the far more polished behavior of the 10-speed AND have the opportunity for EV miles while in cruise control. It would be the PERFECT daily driver strategy for me.

The way it's currently programmed has me switching modes during my drives. I'm not going to cry too loud though because at least I have all these choices at my fingertips. :)
Your right sport mode is very polished. One other gripe is that you can not make sport mode the default mode unless you remember to answer the question yes in 1st few seconds to remain in sport mode. I see no way to have it power on in sport mode. By the way what is ICE ? Do you know if fordscan can modify the sport or normal profile ,,?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE is the acronym for "Internal Combustion Engine" when discussing things like Hybrids, EV's, etc

Currently there are Forscan-gurus trying to unravel the various modules in the new 2021 F150's, including the Powerboost. Fingers crossed that they will be able to conquer something like which mode is default, but I wouldn't get my hopes up because I don't think they figured that out even for the previous generation.

As for altering the parameters of any given strategy (mode), that would require the aftermarket tuners to beat the encryption and nobody has done that either yet.

Like I said, I would love to have EV potential back on the table in Sport mode. (Although I think the word Sport is silly because why is using the 10r80 as an actual 10-speed considered a Sport thing? Pure marketing terminology)

Because they call it Sport, there are so many folks that will not use it because they don't want to drive their truck Sporty.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mflynndelta

mflynndelta

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
ICE is the acronym for "Internal Combustion Engine" when discussing things like Hybrids, EV's, etc

Currently there are Forscan-gurus trying to unravel the various modules in the new 2021 F150's, including the Powerboost. Fingers crossed that they will be able to conquer something like which mode is default, but I wouldn't get my hopes up because I don't think they figured that out even for the previous generation.

As for altering the parameters of any given strategy (mode), that would require the aftermarket tuners to beat the encryption and nobody has done that either yet.

Like I said, I would love to have EV potential back on the table in Sport mode. (Although I think the word Sport is silly because why is using the 10r80 as an actual 10-speed considered a Sport thing? Pure marketing terminology)

Because they call it Sport, there are so many folks that will not use it because they don't want to drive their truck Sporty.
What kind of gas mileage do you get in the so called sport mode ? Is there a way to power up in sport mode ? All they need to do is reverse the logic on the question when it asks you to remain in sport mode.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All they need to do is reverse the logic on the question when it asks you to remain in sport mode.
Who is "they"?
Of course Ford could alter the programming logic any way that they desire, but currently "they" is only Ford. Remember, this is ALL new in the 2021. There's been very little time for the aftermarket to crack any of the code, so to speak.

As far fuel mileage, it appears Sport Mode would co$t me about 3mpg on my daily commute. (~50 miles) But I really don't take the full hit because the portion of my commute that is sustained cruising, I switch back to Normal mode and achieve my EV miles. So my combined driving is still consistently in the 21-22mpg range. I have no complaints of this truck whatsoever concerning fuel efficiency. I'm stunned that this big luxurious super powerful brick can get what it is getting.

OP
OP
mflynndelta

mflynndelta

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Who is "they"?
Of course Ford could alter the programming logic any way that they desire, but currently "they" is only Ford. Remember, this is ALL new in the 2021. There's been very little time for the aftermarket to crack any of the code, so to speak.

As far fuel mileage, it appears Sport Mode would co$t me about 3mpg on my daily commute. (~50 miles) But I really don't take the full hit because the portion of my commute that is sustained cruising, I switch back to Normal mode and achieve my EV miles. So my combined driving is still consistently in the 21-22mpg range. I have no complaints of this truck whatsoever concerning fuel efficiency. I'm stunned that this big luxurious super powerful brick can get what it is getting.
I agree I love this truck it is so comfy to drive and to tow with.

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum

If I am reading this correctly, you are able to get EV mode to come on while on cruise control? From my observations I have never seen mine run on electric while on cruise control. It almost seems anything in gear 9-10 locks out EV.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If I am reading this correctly, you are able to get EV mode to come on while on cruise control? From my observations I have never seen mine run on electric while on cruise control. It almost seems anything in gear 9-10 locks out EV.
Depends on how fast you are "cruising"

You won't likely get EV miles at 70mph. :)
But I have considerable stretches of 45 & 50mph cruising and I get EV miles consistently. I also lock out OD most of the time. For sure 9th & 10th. I might allow 8th if I'm doing 55mph.

Sponsored

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Depends on how fast you are "cruising"

You won't likely get EV miles at 70mph. :)
But I have considerable stretches of 45 & 50mph cruising and I get EV miles consistently. I also lock out OD most of the time. For sure 9th & 10th. I might allow 8th if I'm doing 55mph.
are you just using manual mode to lock out the gears?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
are you just using manual mode to lock out the gears?
Not at all. Regardless of which "mode" (Normal, Sport, Tow) I am in, I often just hit the - button and remove 8,9,10 from the available range. Basically I avoid cruising at 1200rpms. I might be overly cautious but I've had several Ecoboost trucks by now and that's just not something I'm comfortable with. These motors prosper when they get "worked" a little, if you know what I mean.

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not at all. Regardless of which "mode" (Normal, Sport, Tow) I am in, I often just hit the - button and remove 8,9,10 from the available range. Basically I avoid cruising at 1200rpms. I might be overly cautious but I've had several Ecoboost trucks by now and that's just not something I'm comfortable with. These motors prosper when they get "worked" a little, if you know what I mean.
Thanks for the info I will have to try that. Being my first F-150 there are lots of tricks I am still learning about

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the info I will have to try that. Being my first F-150 there are lots of tricks I am still learning about
If you are someone who just wants to start the motor and drive, you will likely never really know what you have at your fingertips. Good or bad, Ford has provided the "pilot" of the latest generation F150 a vast amount of options and controls at his/her fingertips.
It can get very granular if you decide to explore it all.
Remarkable technology, but probably underutilized by the average consumer.

Have fun and enjoy.
Sponsored