Sponsored

Powerboost Auto Start/Stop

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RCLB 5.0/2022 Powerboost/2023 Maverick Hybrid
I ordered a Powerboost, several months ago, & am still awaiting arrival. When it was ordered, I was told that it would have the Auto Start/Stop function removed & that would afford me a $50 credit. The window sticker, which has now been issued, shows Auto Start/Stop removed for "No Charge".

I would appreciate if some of you who have Powerboosts, that are in the know, can fill me in on how Auto Start/Stop actually works on a Powerboost, if it is included, versus how Powerboost that have the Auto Start/Stop removed function.
Sponsored

Egilson1

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat powerboost
Since the powerboat is a hybrid it turns off the engine when in electric mode. Then automatically restarts it when the battery needs charging or your driving requires more “power”. So it basically acts like auto stop/stop, but you can’t turn that off.

Make sense?

OP
OP

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the reply. So, if I understand it right, the Auto Start/Stop removal option basically eliminates the ability of the driver to disable that function. Is that correct?

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Screw 145" 3.5 Powerboost Full Hybrid
I ordered a Powerboost, several months ago, & am still awaiting arrival. When it was ordered, I was told that it would have the Auto Start/Stop function removed & that would afford me a $50 credit. The window sticker, which has now been issued, shows Auto Start/Stop removed for "No Charge".

I would appreciate if some of you who have Powerboosts, that are in the know, can fill me in on how Auto Start/Stop actually works on a Powerboost, if it is included, versus how Powerboost that have the Auto Start/Stop removed function.

What are you concerned about regarding the auto start / stop?

Sponsored

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
It's just window sticker semantics, there is no possibility of "start/stop delete" or of turning the function off in a Powerboost.

I've driven both "start/stop" and hybrid vehicles, and there's a big difference in how the ICE gets restarted and/or applied on S/S vs. Hybrid.

Is Obscurity near Asheville?

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I believe the auto start/stop removal is basically removing the button for it from the dash in non-PB trucks (along witha change in coding). Since the button isn't used in PB trucks, it's auto-added to builds based on how Ford implemented it, but doesn't change any functionality with how the truck works.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
In my 2021 Powerboost, there is no option to defeat auto stop/start.

However, selecting Sport mode will prevent the truck from driving in full electric, effectively negating the hybrid advantage.

IMHO a buyer who doesn't want to have auto stop/start on their truck should not choose a Powerboost

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Auto stop/start shouldn’t be related to a Powerboost at all. It’s non existent and never has been for hybrids. Idk why ford automatically adds it to the sticker, but it’s listed as no charge instead of +50 because there is no change to the vehicle.

Auto stop/start is for full ICE vehicles which turns off the engine at a stop light and then uses the starter to restart the engine when you get ready to leave. It has no power while the engine is off.

Integral to the operation of a hybrid, the engine does not need to be running to drive the vehicle. The computer merely determines which propulsion system (engine, electric motor, or both) is best for the given scenario. Removing the ability to turn off the engine would make it not a full hybrid. Rest assured, auto stop start delete means absolutely 0 for a Powerboost. The engine stopping was never defeat-able and still isn’t (save for sport mode, but that still cuts the engine at a stop). But nothing has changed by ford doing this option

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
So, quick question since it was mentioned that auto start/stop is implemented differently in a hybrid. I assumed this means it doesn't use the starter to start it, is that correct? If that is true, does it use the electric motor to start it?

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
So, quick question since it was mentioned that auto start/stop is implemented differently in a hybrid. I assumed this means it doesn't use the starter to start it, is that correct? If that is true, does it use the electric motor to start it?
Powerboost has 3 methods of starting the engine.

2 used in normal operation are a belt integrated starter generator which is the only belt on the engine and it uses the small electric motor (starter/generator) to spin up the engine via that belt. This method is used most of the time when the engine is needed while stopped or at low speeds.

Second is effectively “bump starting” the engine by connecting the clutch between the flywheel and the electric motor/transmission assembly, this is used when traveling at higher speeds and the engine is needed.

Third is rarely used which is a 12V starter to the flywheel. In 12,800 miles, I’ve heard this starter 4 times. It’s only used in a condition where the high voltage battery is either very cold, or below minimum state of charge. You would only hear/use this starter when first pressing the ignition. Never while driving.

Also to note, my truck is normally going 5-10mph before the engine starts when accelerating from a light, which is one reason I say it’s nothing like normal auto stop start

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Thank you for the explanation :)

OP
OP

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What are you concerned about regarding the auto start / stop?
I ordered the Powerboost drivetrain for several reasons. MPG efficiency is 1 of those. I just wanted to understand how there could be an Auto Stop/Start Removal Option on a hybrid vehicle that inherently must do Auto Start/Stop to achieve its original design function.

OP
OP

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's just window sticker semantics, there is no possibility of "start/stop delete" or of turning the function off in a Powerboost.

I've driven both "start/stop" and hybrid vehicles, and there's a big difference in how the ICE gets restarted and/or applied on S/S vs. Hybrid.

Is Obscurity near Asheville?
Obscurity is really hard to find. It is not really near anywhere & I wouldn't know how to tell you to get there. I guess it is a lot like Galt's Gulch. If you don't know exactly where it is, or if you are not guided in by someone who does, you will almost certainly drive right by.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Second is effectively “bump starting” the engine by connecting the clutch between the flywheel and the electric motor/transmission assembly, this is used when traveling at higher speeds and the engine is needed.
Just curious where you found that info. I read the service manual I got for my truck, and based on the starting sequence, this is not something the truck does. It uses the traditional starter for cold starts and the generator/starter for everything else.
Sponsored