PowerBoost 1.5 - We Need More Than Idiot Lights

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
@Mike_D , so much is going to make more sense to you now as time goes by. I'm not saying everyone is wired the same way, but if the dashboard values automatically line up as explanations to what you are witnessing/experiencing, then you are going to feel empowered.

I personally enjoy seeing others discover and then dive in.
Sponsored

OP
OP
turbopilot

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
@turbopilot

Also, installing your dashboard has also paid other great dividends! When I first got it up and running on Friday/Saturday, I saw that my 14V SOC was only 60% (I'm sure due in part to my commute to work being only 4 miles/short trips)! I put my NOCO G3500 charger on it (in 12V 3.5A AGM mode) for the time I had available before a road trip and got it up to 70%, then I went on a 6 hour highway jaunt and when I returned home it was at 81%. As you can see it's now dropped back to 76%, I need to put the charger back on and let it complete a full charging cycle.
When not in use I keep my PB on a 2 amp trickle charger. Never see 14V SOC go below 90 with typical daily driving.

Ford F-150 PowerBoost 1.5 - We Need More Than Idiot Lights IMG_8338

M.R.F.O.R.D.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
What does the Battery Charge mode mean with OBDLink app.

I have seen Battery Charge mode 1.0 2.0 3.0 and 4.0.

Sorry if this was posted somewhere else.

nikon858

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ f150 platinum powerboost
Not sure if you guys are aware, the OBD fusion app that the app you guys are using appears to be based on was just updated to support CarPlay. No gauges but you get the data on CarPlay which is at least a step in the right direction!

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I just found this tonight!!! Iconically I was looking at the Banks iDash gauge today for some way to monitor PIDs. I happen to swipe in CarPlay and saw the OBD Fusion icon! Wow! It’s something! The iPhone app is OK but small and I really don’t want a phone mount sticking on or out someplace. Especially when I have a screen right there 🙂

You can setup multiple screens with various PIDs on each. It’s text base as @nikon858 said, but it’s a start!

Anyway… check it out…
Ford F-150 PowerBoost 1.5 - We Need More Than Idiot Lights 1707876616363

Ford F-150 PowerBoost 1.5 - We Need More Than Idiot Lights IMG_3058

Ford F-150 PowerBoost 1.5 - We Need More Than Idiot Lights IMG_3059

Ford F-150 PowerBoost 1.5 - We Need More Than Idiot Lights IMG_3060

Last edited:

Sponsored

ReverendQ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PowerBoost 302A Avalanche BAP
Occupation
Engineer
I'm Droidjealous!

LouDog

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Lariat Powerboost
UPDATE:

PowerBoost 1.5 now available here. Otherwise instructions below for v1.4 still apply.

v1.5.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The F-150 PowerBoost is a complicated machine with many systems. The instrumentation provided by Ford is not adequate to understand the systems or to troubleshoot system malfunctions. At the very least Ford instrumentation should provide for a "Novice Mode" and an "Expert Mode". When a system malfunctions, the owner has no way to capture the information related to an event and relay that information back to the dealer or Ford. As we have found many malfunctions will clear any trouble codes after the next normal cycle of the truck. Dealers will often turn away an owner who presents with what appears to be a normally functioning truck that has experienced a previous failure event.

It is not expensive for the owner of a PowerBoost to observe system parameters in detail as they change and capture trouble codes as they appear. I think every PowerBoost owner should have a device running in real time to capture the operating parameters of the truck provided by various PIDs.

Here is version 1.4 of the OBDLink PowerBoost dashboard I have been working on. Most changes moving from v1.3 to v1.4 were to format and colors to make display more readable with one glance in full sunlight. This dashboard was built on an IOS device. I am still on searching for other useful PID's.

As usual change the file extension from .pdf to .stg before trying to import the file into your device with the OBDLink app.

The OBDLink Mx+ OBD2 adapter is available here on Amazon. OBDLink app is available in the app stores. The easiest way to export and import dashboards is with DropBox.

This version of PowerBoost was formatted on an iPhone. You may experience problems importing this file into an Android device. The second dashboard with this import is just a place to try out various PID's.

There is a lot of information displayed on one dashboard in this version. With the iPhone mounted in the right position all the information is viewable. Information top to bottom is GPS derived position information from the phone, engine information not available on the dashboard is in the middle and both DC electrical systems information is displayed at the bottom.

For those running IOS on an iPhone with Siri enabled you can quickly take a screen shot by simply saying "Hey Siri take a screen shot" to capture an event. If you are also running CarPlay on the same iPhone when you tell Siri to take a screen shot you will not only get a shot of the iPhone screen but you will also get a shot of what ever screen is being displayed on on the Sync 4 screen. This is handy if you are running a navigation app through CarPlay to the Sync 4 screen to document your position at the time of a screen shot. Both screens will be saved to "Photos" on the iPhone.

Here is a screen shot of version 1.4. In this version I have added the amp draw associated with the high voltage compressor motor of the PowerBoost air conditioning system. It can be one of the largest current draws found in the PowerBoost other than the traction motor. Below the compressor amp display is the high voltage amp draw going to the DC/DC converter. The "State of Charge" (SOC) of each electrical system battery is displayed in red at the bottom of the screen. These parameters are probably the most useful information supporting normal operation of the PowerBoost.

v1.4.jpg

Below is a link to this dashboard's import file. The file carries a "dummy" .pdf extension. This extension must be changed to a .stg extension for import.

This is a link to directly download the dashboard .stg file without the need to change the file extension.

My export dashboard was set up using the 2022 PB PID's available even though I have a 2023 PB. So to use the export and get the PID's to import right it is possible you may have to set up OBDLink as a 2022 PB.

If the Ford PID's do not import correctly and default to the speed PID here are the Ford specific PID module locations. Click the gauge to enter "Edit Display" menu, then select "Display Configuration", click the banner that says "PID" then click the banner that says "Ford, Lincoln, Mercury", then find the module as listed below. Scroll through the module PID's until you find the right one and click it. A check mark should show by the PID. Then hit the "Back" button several times until you are back in the dashboard.

• HV Bat Temp
Hybrid Battery Temperature.jpg

• HV A/C Compressor
Compressor Motor Current.jpg

• DC/DC HV In
DC:DC Converter High Voltage Current.jpg

• 14 V Bat Amps
Vehicle Battery Current.jpg

• DC/DC Amps Out
DC:DC Converter Low Voltage Current.jpg

• 14 V Bat
Battery Voltage.jpg

• 280 V Bat
Hybrid Battery Pack Voltage.jpg

• 14 V SOC
Vehicle Battery SOC.jpg

• 280 V SOC
Battery Pack SOC.jpg

As usual please comment with any suggestions to make this display more useful. It is a work in progress. On my wish list is that OBDLink would make their app CarPlay capable then all of this information could be displayed right on the Sync 4 large display.
Edit: so I figured out how to import the dashboard but damn… this is the most un-intuitive app I have used in a very long time.

At this point I have the dashboard loaded but some of the PIDs are not working. For example, the trans position is saying “70”. Also, the position data is all 0’s. Gotta take a break for a bit lol

Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I cannot for the life of my figure out how to import your dashboard. I’ve poked around for a hour. I’m on the latest iOS. I downloaded your file and have it in Dropbox and iCloud. Where do I go in the app?
Sponsored

Last edited: