Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Hi all,

two weeks ago I had the wiper-recall service done on my 2021 PB. Today was the first day it has rained since then and I immediately noticed my driver-side wiper was over driving and hitting the A pillar. When I got home I popped off the wiper arm and clocked it one click which fixed the issue. However I noticed that there is a keyway but no key. I decided to pop off the passenger side arm as well and it did not have a key as well. However, sitting next to the wiper shaft was a shiny new key just sitting there.

The attached photo shows the key installed in the wiper arm. The key fits snuggly and it does allow the arm to be indexed properly to the shaft, but after installation and a few shakes of the installed wiper arm the key simply falls out. It acts as if it were simply there for indexing and not meant to be permanent. Could this be?

Ford F-150 Post-wiper recall question IMG_0802
Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Wasn't aware wipers can just be pulled off. I'll have to remember that if mine start hitting pillar but I had both motor and wiper arms replaced under recall. So far seems to be fine.

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
They are so simple to remove. Bend the wiper arm up to the raised position away from the windshield. Then move the small lever on the wiper arm base out and while holding it out give the arm a wiggle and it will come right off.

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Yes you are correct its only for indexing during assemble to speed up the process

Sponsored

Boscom39

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2.7EB XLT SCREW 4x4
I have the same issue as well with my wipers smacking the A pillar after a replacement. Oddly enough on the original motor from factory the key was in its index and it never hit the pillar. The replacement does now. I thought the whole point I’d the key was to keep it from stripping the notches in the event you try to turn the wipers on with heavy snow or something. Protecting us from ourselves. Lol

I’m curious if the motor is fixed in the mount or if the part of the wipers that attaches to the motor can be rotated slightly to reindex. I have noticed in the resting position the wipers so not sit near the index marks on the windshield either.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
FWIW looking at the Service Manual it seems the only adjustment of wiper-arm 'park' and 'sweep' position is by removing and rotating the arm position on the splined shaft as previously described.

The Service Manual makes no mention of installing or locating a loose 'key', suggesting that is in fact a production-assembly-only item.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
The attached photo shows the key installed in the wiper arm. The key fits snuggly and it does allow the arm to be indexed properly to the shaft, but after installation and a few shakes of the installed wiper arm the key simply falls out. It acts as if it were simply there for indexing and not meant to be permanent. Could this be?
Yes, the key is for factory assembly and is not necessary.

Ford F-150 Post-wiper recall question 1694615878009

Boscom39

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well I know what I’ll be doing on my lunch break today! Bye bye key! That note in print makes me feel much better about giving it the ‘ol heave ho.

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I think the spring is enough to keep the arm in place
Well I know what I’ll be doing on my lunch break today! Bye bye key! That note in print makes me feel much better about giving it the ‘ol heave ho.
I saved the one key I found just in case.

Sponsored

Boscom39

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think I’m just going to toss mine in the glovebox in a ziplock with a note reminding me what they are….just because Ford made me pay for those in the price of the truck. 😂

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Guy's if you live in a state where your wipers could potentially freeze to the windshield in the winter months it's probably advisable to leave the key out. this way in the event of them being turned on while frozen the pot metal end of the arm will strip out as opposed to bending the linkage or burning out the wiper motor. Also, if you have auto wipers its best to turn this feature off in the winter months as well. ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: