PB Can't Jumpstart when your 12V Battery Goes Bad

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
Not an uncommon set of parameters for me to see.
At 77% SOC, the DC/DC converter would be at 14.7V+.
15.1V is a tad higher than my 2022 PID would be at for any more than a few seconds at times.

1000019987.jpg

At 90% SOC I would never see voltage above ~12.7V unless I used the Hammaman HVAC fan speed hack.
Is that how you are getting 14.4V?

1000019989.jpg

87% SOC and ZERO charging current
Now THAT is pretty much common on mine. Ford just doesn't want to do much charging beyond ~85% SOC.

Interestingly your still at higher voltage though. Surely that too is you using HVAC in an attempt to force the BMS to at least trickle charge the AGM?

1000019991.jpg
How do you all get such clean, organized layouts on your OBD Link? Mine is so fiddly, hard to find PID's, and even harder to organize onto a screen.
Sponsored

staying_tuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
We run a Cascadia’s 4x4 hood mounted solar panel with charge controller (comes with kit) on our Jeep that not only trickle charges the battery but offers a 12v out which also charges our eco flow delta power brick.

https://www.cascadia4x4.com/collect...5-present-vss-system-85-watt-hood-solar-panel

Looks like they have a kit for prev gen but they also have universal sized panels with the controller. Id for sure carry a second battery though regardless. It’s not that big of a deal and more common than you’d think.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
We run a Cascadia’s 4x4 hood mounted solar panel with charge controller (comes with kit) on our Jeep that not only trickle charges the battery but offers a 12v out which also charges our eco flow delta power brick.

https://www.cascadia4x4.com/collect...5-present-vss-system-85-watt-hood-solar-panel

Looks like they have a kit for prev gen but they also have universal sized panels with the controller. Id for sure carry a second battery though regardless. It’s not that big of a deal and more common than you’d think.
That's pretty cool stuff.
And I can see how that would be a great trickle charge solution in a boondockin situation for me.
But at home, when I'm not using the truck for several days in a row, it's in the barn/shop with no access to that glorious ball of energy in the sky. :(

But I get your point about it "not being a big deal" to have secondary sources available for electrons. We live in the electronic technology age now for sure. EVERYTHING needs its battery charged! You can never have too many backups for making sure you CAN charge whatever needs charged.
The beauty of the Mighty Powerboost is that it is the charging source itself! A rolling powergrid. :)

Which just means that seemingly innocuous 12V AGM under the hood holds authority over SO much more than we might realize. Lol

Take care of it, and it will take care of everything else directly and indirectly.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
How do you all get such clean, organized layouts on your OBD Link? Mine is so fiddly, hard to find PID's, and even harder to organize onto a screen.
Some of these OBDlink dashboards you see on the forum represent considerable investment in time and effort on somebody's part.
But fortunately those efforts can be exported by the creator, and then imported by another OBDlink user. Thus inheriting at least a really nice starting point for customizing your own dashboard to your liking.

Look for the thread(s) with OBDlink or PID in the title. You'll find posts with instructions and the export file itself.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I did mine via specifying the positions of the gauges. I started at the top left corner which is 0, 0. I know the gauge size, so the next one is [gauge width], 0 and finish out the top row. Next row starts at 0, [gauge height] and goes out.

Sponsored

AndreB

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 502a Star White Metallic 157" WB
Occupation
Retired
@mxwrk

I believe member "turbopilot" has had success maintaining his 2023 Powerboost battery at a high state of charge (90%+) using a 2 amp trickle charger (not sure what brand/model). Of course the Genius2 should have a longer charging time than say the Genius5, but if you have 2-3 days to trickle charge the battery, seems like the Genius2 would do it (Noco says on their web site 37.5hrs to charge a "Truck Battery" at 50% discharge). I also noticed the charger they describe as a "maintainer", the Genius 2D, is a 2 Amp model.

I have the older Noco G3500 3.5 Amp charger, a week or so ago I discovered my 2022 Lariat Powerboost 12V battery SOC was only 60%, I only had a couple/few hours to charge it but I threw the G3500 on it for that limited time and it was able to raise the SOC from 60% to 70%. I then went on a 6 hour highway run and when I got home battery was at 81%. I plan to put the G3500 back on this weekend and let it go through its complete charging cycle. I've been tempted this week to upgrade to the Genius5 5 Amp model, seems to have some nice new features (thermal compensation, better clamps, etc.) over the G3500, but haven't pulled the trigger yet, want to see how the G3500 does with a full cycle first, maybe 3.5A charging current rate is better for the battery than 5A, who knows? I don't, LOL! Probably more important is the "smartness" of the charging profile/steps.
Hello, since you might be looking into a new charger, I would suggest to look into the Noco Genius 5 and a permanent installation. This is what I did on my truck, even though it's a 5.0L V8 (no PB). When ever I need a battery top off, I just get an extension and plug the charger. No need to redo the clamping process. Have a nice day. https://no.co/genius5

MiquelCamo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 3.5 PB 501A
Occupation
Retired
Good point. I have just locked the fob in the truck with the keypad.
The manual states that the key fob inside is disabled if locked with the key pad. Does that make a difference on charging? Would it be the same as not leaving a key fob?

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
The manual states that the key fob inside is disabled if locked with the key pad. Does that make a difference on charging? Would it be the same as not leaving a key fob?
I have only experimented in the parking lot at work, but having the fob with you around a campsite etc. will trigger the proximity waking behavior if you get near I believe. With the fob inside and the doors locked via keypad, generator mode on, big screen off, and the dashboard dimmed, the truck seemed off except for the occasional brief ICE run.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Evening, gents. Just came here looking for company for my misery to see if other Job1/Job2 2021's have reached the end of life on their LV batteries in their powerboosts...

I've been getting "LV battery reporting low" for a few months now in my Ford Widget, but since I have a PB I know it will start even with low LV battery and the only nuisance is OTA updates won't go through if <50% SOC. So, if I haven't driven it in a few days, I just put the trickle charger on it and the OTA will go through.

Fast forward to today, I decide to just check with Ford on what a new one costs and whether I'm lucky with any extended warranty or pre-paid maintenance covering it at all. Guess what? Battery is warrantied for 3 years or 36k miles! Great!

So I check when I took delivery, and it was March 12, 2021 - exactly 3 years and 1 week! They said there is nothing they can do for me :(

What would y'all do if you were selling the truck within a month? Replace the battery or let the new owner do it and give a "heads up"? They won't notice if they drive it daily, mine just happens to sit sometimes 4-5 days without driving.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Considering the sale price of the truck vs the price of a new battery, I would probably just put a new one in.

It's good to sleep well at night!

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I've been getting "LV battery reporting low" for a few months now in my Ford Widget, but since I have a PB I know it will start even with low LV battery
I think that’s a bit of a leap. Replace the battery or if you want to go full Bobby Bolivia have Manny take off the clown suit and put a charger on it.
Sponsored