PB Can't Jumpstart when your 12V Battery Goes Bad

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
So this happened to me camping in Joshua Tree over the Xmas break.

Ford F-150 PB Can't Jumpstart when your 12V Battery Goes Bad IMG_0663

Before the tow truck came, I'd tried jumping the engine and the ICE would sometimes actually start, but then everything would shutdown after 15 seconds. So, obviously, jumping wasn't the solution. In every ICE vehicle I've had, even with a bad 12V battery, jumping would at least allow you to get going until you can swap the battery out. But, NOPE, not with the PowerBoost. I actually thought it might be a fuse or something else since jumping wasn't working.

I had no reception, but a ranger was able to call Ford Roadside Assistance and get them to send a tow. Fortunately Joshua Tree is actually relatively close to civilization. So only an hour's drive with my family and a Tow truck and we were able to get to a Ford Dealership, This would have been way worse if I we were at just about any other park. Anyways, The service center was were able to swap out the battery and everything was well again (except a day wasted on our vacation). Ford customer service is great since everything was covered, but I'm much less thrilled with the reliability of the PB now.

So I'm so glad that this happened at a campground, where I could get a tow. However, I do often camp dispersed out in the boonies. I can't imagine how I could get help if that was the case. How can I prepare myself for something like this? Always carry a spare battery? I'm kinda freaked out that maybe the PB isn't a good choice for overloading.
Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Only suggestion using OBD2 to monitor battery PIDs. Some batteries just fail quickly though and can't see that coming. Another thought is just keeping a spare battery with you away from civilization but that is an investment for something you'll likely never need.

Glad you got a tow but I would think roadside could have just replaced the 12v battery instead of towing you.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
What failed? Just the 12v batt? I've started a PB with a completely zero'd out dead batt and it was fine. Didn't even harm the batts

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Glad you got a tow but I would think roadside could have just replaced the 12v battery instead of towing you.
Yeah, I guess they'd need to carry a bunch of different batteries around on the whim that it could be a problem for any given vehicle.

But the driver knew exactly what it was when he arrived. He said he'd seen this happen with a bunch of PB F150s before. In fact, the dealership didn't even think it was a battery issue at first, but he told them to try swapping it out and it worked.

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What failed? Just the 12v batt?
Well, swapping it out was the only thing needed to fix it. So, yeah.

I've started a PB with a completely zero'd out dead batt and it was fine. Didn't even harm the batts
This was clearly a worn out battery, not just a dead battery.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
I've had several ICE vehicles where the battery failed and you couldn't start them with a jump and/or they would start and shut down because the load from the bad battery was too much for the charging system.

Most frustrating was a late 80's Chevy that would run for about 15 min and shutdown.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Yeah, I guess they'd need to carry a bunch of different batteries around on the whim that it could be a problem for any given vehicle.

But the driver knew exactly what it was when he arrived. He said he'd seen this happen with a bunch of PB F150s before. In fact, the dealership didn't even think it was a battery issue at first, but he told them to try swapping it out and it worked.
I've seen AAA swap out batteries on side of road so I just thought it was a regular thing. 🤷‍♂️
Even a slightly small battery ought to be enough to get you going and replace it later.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
If the 12V battery was dead-dead, it likely needed a full charge, or more than a jump pack could provide. Jumper cables likely could have got you back in action. However, if it also went flat, you may have needed a new battery anyway as it may not have held a charge properly after if the voltage was too low for too long.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I don't know for a fact but wouldn't be surprised if a 'dead-dead' battery would result in the same outcome even on a non-PB Gen 14.

dafish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB KR SCREW, '18 Lariat SCREW
Occupation
Mostly retired IT Pro - Cyber-IPT
I can't say I have a handle on PB and 12V battery issues, but I can say there seems to be a regular discussion of problems with them. I would put a factory battery back in one after hell froze over. Not that Motorcraft doesn't have a good battery, but that the one supplied OEM ain't.

Again, I'm not there yet but if I ever do get a PB purchased I will replace the 12V batteries immediately.

For me the question isn't "are they junk", or "are they a known problem point", but what the best solution is. Given what little I've learned I can say this:

* I believe using forscan to up the BMS charge startegy from 80% to 85% or 90% is well regarded/
* I would sure try to see if I could get a group 31, or maybe an H8 (doubtful) in there.
* I would get a really good battery and replace the darn thing early. PB's seem picky about the LV battery.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Yikes 😳
Generator mode generator mode. Bring extra gas for extended generator mode.

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If the 12V battery was dead-dead, it likely needed a full charge, or more than a jump pack could provide. Jumper cables likely could have got you back in action
Yeah, I actually did try get a jump from the Ranger's F250 with no success. Maybe if I'd hooked up to it for a while 😁

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
A battery with a bad cell can pull the voltage down so low you can’t make spark. That’s a PB adjacent issue. Motorcraft has some suspect OEM batteries. The PB is hard on batteries. Batteries can fail such that they must be removed from circuit.

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
This battery issue has been raised a number of times. What I have not seen is any explanation provided on why Ford sets the max charge to 80% in the first place. Surely 95% if not striving for 100% would better position the battery for longer term health and leave some wiggle room for the OTA updates many have had issue with due to low battery levels.

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A battery with a bad cell can pull the voltage down so low you can’t make spark.
That’s a PB adjacent issue.
But it made a spark, at least initially, since the ICE started for a very short while. Ford should not let the ICE turn off if the battery can’t hold a charge.

Batteries can fail such that they must be removed from circuit.
What do mean here?
Sponsored