wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
2023 King Ranch PowerBoost
I know the Parking Brake can disengage automatically- shift into gear and apply gas.
Manual says Parking Brake can engage automatically, but no details. I’m guessing when parked on an incline.
1 Does anyone know when the Parking Brake engages automatically?
2 Who does or does not engage the Parking Brake routinely? Why?
I believe the transmission has a parking pin that needs protection. In older transmissions (read mechanical vs electronic) parking on a hill could ‘lock’ the transmission in park making shifting into gear difficult (been there).
Thanks
Sponsored

Mangolorian222

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Tremor; Mach 1 HP
Following this - My rental explorer automatically engaged the parking brake when put in park, and I miss this feature in my f150.

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
Following this - My rental explorer automatically engaged the parking brake when put in park, and I miss this feature in my f150.
My 2022 f150 has a setting that does just that. It just doesn’t turn it off every time. The system is tied to something else that can require manual release. I haven’t figured it all out yet.

OP
OP

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My 2022 f150 has a setting that does just that. It just doesn’t turn it off every time. The system is tied to something else that can require manual release. I haven’t figured it all out yet.
Where is the setting?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If you are in Adaptive cruise control and it is "holding" you at a stop, after some allotted time it will engage the parking brake and notify you that it has done so.

It's like the computer, that is using the ABS system to apply hydraulic brakes on your behalf, decides it no longer is willing to hold the vehicle any longer and passes the baton to the rear caliper instead? :)

Sponsored

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
If I recall correctly, when you’re hooked up to a trailer, it automatically turns on the parking brake whenever you shift into park. I don’t remember if it disengages when shifting into drive or reverse, but I’m kind of leaning toward “not”, since I recall it kept tripping me up when backing the trailer up and having to jump out a few times to see if it was in the right spot.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
My truck shows an "Auto Parking Brake" toggle on the screen when backing up (and maybe moving forward slowly?) with the cameras showing. I've not played with it much, but the description seems accurate.

And come to think of it, the Park Assist button above the screen might also do something with the parking brake, since I don't have Park Assist....

OP
OP

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you are in Adaptive cruise control and it is "holding" you at a stop, after some allotted time it will engage the parking brake and notify you that it has done so.

It's like the computer, that is using the ABS system to apply hydraulic brakes on your behalf, decides it no longer is willing to hold the vehicle any longer and passes the baton to the rear caliper instead? :)
I'm not looking in the Adaptive Cruise mod.
I am just wondering if it is worth the trouble to engage the Parking Brake everytime I park the car- garage, work, shopping, etc?

OP
OP

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My truck shows an "Auto Parking Brake" toggle on the screen when backing up (and maybe moving forward slowly?) with the cameras showing. I've not played with it much, but the description seems accurate.

And come to think of it, the Park Assist button above the screen might also do something with the parking brake, since I don't have Park Assist....
I have never seen "Auto Parking Brake" on my screen. I also do not have Park Assist.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I don't in the truck.
But I do with both cars out of habit.
Both standard transmission and parking brake lever appropriately located.

I'm a flatlander, or else I might have learned to use the parking brake in the truck unconsciously too?

Sponsored

OP
OP

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't in the truck.
But I do with both cars out of habit.
Both standard transmission and parking brake lever appropriately located.

I'm a flatlander, or else I might have learned to use the parking brake in the truck unconsciously too?
Louisiana pretty flat!
I grew up in the hills of north Georgia and learned to routinely apply the parking brake (a few times forgot and shifting into gear was an anxious moment).
I love my truck, but the parking brake is in the most awkward position of any vehicle I have owned.
If I forget to engage while the truck is running, it becomes a difficult reach when the driver's seat moves back automatically. I could disable the easy exit, but I like it.
Still wondering who does not routinely apply the parking brake?

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

Mine is an option to turn on when ur in reverse and backup camera is on. Tap the icon p with a hand.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
It will also put the parking brake on when you open the drivers door while the truck is running.

OP
OP

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine is an option to turn on when ur in reverse and backup camera is on. Tap the icon p with a hand.
Sorry, I need a little more detail.
I don't understand the parking brake coming on when in reverse and the back up camera is on. (I was only in the Air Force 4 years and not retired Army:)- thanks for your service!)
I just want to park the truck and not have a long reach to engage the Parking Brake.

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
If ur not wesring the seatbelt. Mine goes to park if under 5 mph.
Sponsored