OTA's affecting powertrain behavior?

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
If I'm way off-base here, I won't be offended to be told so, but...

After a 4 month delay, my '21 XLT just started catching OTA's again this week. I got 3.5.2 on Monday, followed by 3.5.4 three days later. The full-screen app support is amazing, and Alexa also works surprisingly well. I've noticed two additional "changes" that coincided with the 3.5.2 update that have me a bit confused:

1. My transmission behavior has shown a drastic improvement that I noticed almost immediately after getting the first OTA this week. Over the past 2-3 months, I've noticed a significant degradation in shifting performance, specifically at low speeds with gears 2-4. I was actually to the point of bringing it in for diagnostics due to hard shifts on those low gears in stop-and-go situations, acceleration pauses from a stop, and inappropriate/rough downshifting when stopping from a low speed. Since the OTA, none of these symptoms are present any longer, and the trans has been shifting as smoothly and appropriately as the day I bought it (arguably better)! Granted, it's been less than a week since I noticed the change, but it was palpable to me immediately from the first post-update drive - as it has been since.

2. The mpg feedback reported on my cluster's Fuel efficiency and Trip info screens has also shown a noticeable change since that same update. Without any other obvious changes in fuel or driving conditions, the truck is reporting 21-23mpg, whereas I was averaging 17-21 at best prior. I'm at 27k miles on this truck, and the ONLY time I've seen it claim anything higher than 17-19mpg has been when cruising eco-mode at an uncharacteristically moderate speed on the highway (which would MAYBE yield a claim of 21/21.5mpg). I'm not so naive to think that my actual fuel efficiency has improved this significantly, but I also can't think of any reason that the relative scale for reporting it would be affected by a power-up.

I'm only 4 days in with these observations, but both just seem really odd to me. Not that I'm complaining about either, but I wonder if there's any explanation or theory on how (or even IF) these behaviors could have been affected by a software update. I also realize it could be a placebo effect, coincidental factors, or literally just something in my head (I could accept any of these lol), but it does make me wonder.

Is there any validity in my thinking that these changes could indeed be related to the update?
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
There are some updates floating around now (specifically for the powerboost) that updates your PCM and I have seen a few other people reporting better drivability as well as better predicted fuel economy. So no, your are not crazy or alone if you noticed something different as of late.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
You're not crazy... My truck is shifting noticeably smoother and seems to be utilizing a much different ICE/EV algorithm and shift points than prior to the several updates I received earlier this week. I have been very pleasantly surprised by it!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I've been a champion of pcm/abs updates since my Job1 2021 got about 3 rounds of such up until around 9 months ago.
I told the dealership that I bought it from, when I turned it into them to take delivery of my long awaited 2022, "I'm giving Yaw back a truck that is far superior in so many ways than what I left with a year ago"

I think I did 23-24 FDRS updates to that truck and while it was fun chasing the Sync features and the stuff that gets all the press, it was the updates that improved drivability that made the truck more polished and enjoyable.

Guys with Job2 2022's are spoiled. Lol
Once they get broken in (say... 7000 miles) they don't realize how much nicer their trucks came from Ford.
Especially the Powerboost. That drivetrain only had R&D history when it launched.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Can confirm the light throttle vibration/shudder at highway speeds is gone after the recent slate of updates! This behavior, along with the jerky 1-3 shifts, was one of my biggest gripes about this truck, and both have now been corrected! There's hope after all!

Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I've been a champion of pcm/abs updates since my Job1 2021 got about 3 rounds of such up until around 9 months ago.
I told the dealership that I bought it from, when I turned it into them to take delivery of my long awaited 2022, "I'm giving Yaw back a truck that is far superior in so many ways than what I left with a year ago"

I think I did 23-24 FDRS updates to that truck and while it was fun chasing the Sync features and the stuff that gets all the press, it was the updates that improved drivability that made the truck more polished and enjoyable.

Guys with Job2 2022's are spoiled. Lol
Once they get broken in (say... 7000 miles) they don't realize how much nicer their trucks came from Ford.
Especially the Powerboost. That drivetrain only had R&D history when it launched.
Exactly why you should never buy a new vehicle job1......

LariatSpaceWhite2.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 2.7
Does anyone know if these transmission shift logic improvements are for all trucks or just the Powerboosts? Thanks!

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SCrew 157" Agate Black Lariat 502A
Occupation
CTMO
i'm starting to think its for all drive trains. my estimated DTE went up significantly, the truck seems way more relaxed and smooth during normal driving conditions as well. maybe after reading this thread its more of a placebo effect but i do seem to notice some sort of difference.

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
If I'm way off-base here, I won't be offended to be told so, but...

After a 4 month delay, my '21 XLT just started catching OTA's again this week. I got 3.5.2 on Monday, followed by 3.5.4 three days later. The full-screen app support is amazing, and Alexa also works surprisingly well. I've noticed two additional "changes" that coincided with the 3.5.2 update that have me a bit confused:

1. My transmission behavior has shown a drastic improvement that I noticed almost immediately after getting the first OTA this week. Over the past 2-3 months, I've noticed a significant degradation in shifting performance, specifically at low speeds with gears 2-4. I was actually to the point of bringing it in for diagnostics due to hard shifts on those low gears in stop-and-go situations, acceleration pauses from a stop, and inappropriate/rough downshifting when stopping from a low speed. Since the OTA, none of these symptoms are present any longer, and the trans has been shifting as smoothly and appropriately as the day I bought it (arguably better)! Granted, it's been less than a week since I noticed the change, but it was palpable to me immediately from the first post-update drive - as it has been since.

2. The mpg feedback reported on my cluster's Fuel efficiency and Trip info screens has also shown a noticeable change since that same update. Without any other obvious changes in fuel or driving conditions, the truck is reporting 21-23mpg, whereas I was averaging 17-21 at best prior. I'm at 27k miles on this truck, and the ONLY time I've seen it claim anything higher than 17-19mpg has been when cruising eco-mode at an uncharacteristically moderate speed on the highway (which would MAYBE yield a claim of 21/21.5mpg). I'm not so naive to think that my actual fuel efficiency has improved this significantly, but I also can't think of any reason that the relative scale for reporting it would be affected by a power-up.

I'm only 4 days in with these observations, but both just seem really odd to me. Not that I'm complaining about either, but I wonder if there's any explanation or theory on how (or even IF) these behaviors could have been affected by a software update. I also realize it could be a placebo effect, coincidental factors, or literally just something in my head (I could accept any of these lol), but it does make me wonder.

Is there any validity in my thinking that these changes could indeed be related to the update?
I am up to date on OTA's .. my transmission feels same . Only issue since day 1 is that when cold when going up into 7th it makes a knock into 7. Doesn't do this when warmed up .