• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Home Back-Up and 80A EVSE Missing at Launch

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
After watching the charging livestream event, I am predicting the truck will be equipped with necessary onboard hardware, but back-up via the 80A charger system (and announced required Sunrun Integration System) will not be able to be made functional at launch or soon thereafter.

Questions about the feature were referenced and then dodged. They were proud to show the mobile charger but shutdown all questions about the feature. The host was good but chat they said would stay open closed after about 20 seconds. I think the engineering on this element is not yet complete.

Could have been such a great event, but left me unimpressed.

Future events: https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle/2022/Ford/F150-Lightning/discover-your-ford/livestream/
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
It’s still 9 months from launch. I wouldn’t be too worried yet.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Not worried a bit.

I am sure Ford will be working on the power generation via 80A Ford Intelligent Power backup from now until next year when the 2022 are released.

Probably have to vet it with different home scenarios.

As long as I can charge the truck, that's all care about.
If I don't get the 80A station, and opt to use extension cords for backup power to the home, I would still be happy.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
After watching the charging livestream event, I am predicting the truck will be equipped with necessary onboard hardware, but back-up via the 80A charger system (and announced required Sunrun Integration System) will not be able to be made functional at launch or soon thereafter.

Questions about the feature were referenced and then dodged. They were proud to show the mobile charger but shutdown all questions about the feature. The host was good but chat they said would stay open closed after about 20 seconds. I think the engineering on this element is not yet complete.

Could have been such a great event, but left me unimpressed.

Future events: https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle/2022/Ford/F150-Lightning/discover-your-ford/livestream/
Are you guessing or do you have some expert knowledge of the subject that makes you state this?

Sponsored
OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
It’s still 9 months from launch. I wouldn’t be too worried yet.
No need to worry, but the first missed deadline will be not having true details of the system and its value when the order bank opens in less than a month.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Are you guessing or do you have some expert knowledge of the subject that makes you state this?
Please update the headline to indicate this is an opinion or a guess.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
No need to worry, but the first missed deadline will be not having true details of the system and its value when the order bank opens in less than a month.
If you are worried now, I'll take your reservation.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

It depends which details you expect them to have. There has been a fair bit of information that has come out already. It doesn't seem like it's vaporware from where I stand.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It depends which details you expect them to have. There has been a fair bit of information that has come out already. It doesn't seem like it's vaporware from where I stand.
I think the key information is what kind of price adder we are looking at for the system + install. If it is ~$500 to ~$1,000 adder to the cost of the EVSE install, that is very different than if it is $10,000 or more. If people are shopping the Lightning for the home power backup, knowing the extra cost they need to plan on could be make or break. It could also shift people from ER to SR if they are going ER primarily for the backup.

Sponsored
OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I think the key information is what kind of price adder we are looking at for the system + install. If it is ~$500 to ~$1,000 adder to the cost of the EVSE install, that is very different than if it is $10,000 or more. If people are shopping the Lightning for the home power backup, knowing the extra cost they need to plan on could be make or break. It could also shift people from ER to SR if they are going ER primarily for the backup.
Yes exactly, with SR/ER selection also potentially allowing or forcing orders away from Pro trim.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I'm sure they already have that number.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I'm sure they already have that number.
Perhaps not. I would guess they have it largely figured out technically, but I wouldn't be surprised if the business negotiations are still underway.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Perhaps not. I would guess they have it largely figured out technically, but I wouldn't be surprised if the business negotiations are still underway.
Plus, Sunrun is NOT a product manufacturer. They might white-label a product, but if they are selling it, it should really be designed and to UL or another recognized listing agency by now.

Also, a Ford rep told me the interface would be a Ford sku and not require Sunrun involvement.

Basically, Ford is probably focused on the vehicle and not the charger or home integration at this point. This was made abundantly clear in this livestream event where the host was claiming they would answer all these questions. I wish I could share a recording of it.

This is only for discussion purposes. No need to beg for the reservation I made before the reveal event was complete:)

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I think it would be a huge mistep for Ford to roll without the Backup power capability at launch. That has been a core theme of their advertising pitch. That would be a major screw up. I just can't imagine them doing that on an f150 lauch..their pinnacle vehicle
Sponsored