Sponsored

Musings on the 3/4-float axle in 2024 ....

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
For Gen 14 through 2023, the 3/4-float axle was part of the "Max" (53C) tow package (which was also required with the "HDPP" (Heavy Duty Payload Package). The 3/4-float axle being the subject of the potential axle-bolt failure issue.

The 2024 Order Guide reveals the "Max" tow package will no longer exist, only the "Tow/Haul Package (53T)" and the "HDPP" is also gone.

However, looking at the 2024 Order Guide we find these notes
Ford F-150 Musings on the 3/4-float axle in 2024 .... 2024 TOW-HAUL PACKAGE

Ford F-150 Musings on the 3/4-float axle in 2024 .... 2024 AXLE AVAILABILITY CHART

Yeah, it's speculation on my part but I'm guessing / betting that the optional "Max Tow Axle required for maximum tow capability" (codes XL5 and XL7) will be the same 3/4-float axle as used in previous Gen 14 years.

Of further interest (at least to me), though not mentioned on the above Axle Availability table, when we look at the line items for each trim offering the PowerBoost drivetrain we see that the Optional Upgrade Axle (i.e. "Max Tow Axle") is not available with the PowerBoost. o_O

Assuming my speculation about the same 3/4-float axle returning in 2024 is correct, exclusion of its use on the PB begs a question ..... Does Ford now know something about the underlying cause of 3/4-float axle bolt failure issue that's related to the particular characteristics of the PB drivetrain (e.g. the stresses imposed by regenerative braking??) :unsure:

Noting that though 3/4-float axle bolt failure reports to date have not been exclusive to the PB, the reports have been dominated by occurrences on the PB drivetrain. :cautious:

Hey, if I gotta have something to muse about (and I do :cool:), why not this topic? :)

Idle minds are the devil's workshop :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

Last edited:

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Yeah, it's speculation on my part but I'm guessing / betting that the optional "Max Tow Axle required for maximum tow capability" (codes XL5 and XL7) will be the same 3/4-float axle as used in previous Gen 14 years.

Of further interest (at least to me), though not mentioned on the above Axle Availability table, when we look at the line items for each trim offering the PowerBoost drivetrain we see that the Optional Upgrade Axle (i.e. "Max Tow Axle") is not available with the PowerBoost. o_O
I think the conspiracy is less dire than the PB causing issues with the 9.75HD (thought that surely had to contribute), but in that they don't want to make the PB a towing vehicle. You already can't order tow mirrors on the PB

Ford F-150 Musings on the 3/4-float axle in 2024 .... 1695158204332

What's also curious to me, is do you no longer get the Tow/Haul drive mode without any of the towing packages (knowing they likely could be activated with FORscan)? It kinda seems that way.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
The image I shared is captured from the '24 order guide with the restriction highlighted. It's also reflected in the Build&Price.
My misunderstanding, then. You mean for the 24. "Already" implies, to me, that it was something that currently exists, not something that exists (or rather, doesn't) in the future.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Already" implies, to me, that it was something that currently exists,
Being pedantic, it does currently exist, as you have been able to place an order a '24 since the 14th :cool:
Sponsored