Joined the Spare Bolt/Nut Club

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Truck has about 13.5k miles. I recently started hearing a loud rattle when shutting the rear driver's door. Opened the door and swung it back-and-forth quickly a few times to reproduce the noise... Was able to determine something metal was rolling around at the lowest portion of the sheet metal. Soooo, I took my door card off for the first time (on this truck), peeled back the moisture barrier, stuck my hand down into the door with a telescoping magnet, and recovered a loose flange nut. Appears to be an M6 nut (fits a 10mm socket). I could not find any obvious spots where the nut might belong... All door components and hardware seemed snug, and no bolts were missing nuts. Any ideas where this nut might belong? I'm thinking my truck is just another victim of the stray hardware affliction.

Ford F-150 Joined the Spare Bolt/Nut Club 20230522_204659

Ford F-150 Joined the Spare Bolt/Nut Club 20230522_204715
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm afraid there are 2,763 of those on your truck.
Do you want me to send you the list?

Sorry, couldn't resist. 😁

When my long awaited special order truck finally arrived and I got home in it. I thought I heard a rattle in the driver's door when I closed it.

Found 6 nicely anodized bolts and washers in the lower cubby. Couldn't figure out where they possibly could go, but I knew they were awfully pretty to look at.

A few days later one of my sons was over and he was leaning over the rear fender getting a look at dad's new sled. :)
A breeze came in and something flapping caught his eye.
"dad, why is your tailgate flapping in the wind like that?"

No wonder those bolts have that pretty finish on them. They fasten down the tailgate work surface. Which oddly enough only had 2 fasteners holding it on.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Truck has about 13.5k miles. I recently started hearing a loud rattle when shutting the rear driver's door. Opened the door and swung it back-and-forth quickly a few times to reproduce the noise... Was able to determine something metal was rolling around at the lowest portion of the sheet metal. Soooo, I took my door card off for the first time (on this truck), peeled back the moisture barrier, stuck my hand down into the door with a telescoping magnet, and recovered a loose flange nut. Appears to be an M6 nut (fits a 10mm socket). I could not find any obvious spots where the nut might belong... All door components and hardware seemed snug, and no bolts were missing nuts. Any ideas where this nut might belong? I'm thinking my truck is just another victim of the stray hardware affliction.

20230522_204659.jpg

20230522_204715.jpg
My bet? If not an extra, dropped during manufacture, it either came loose from the door latch or power window mechanism. Leaning toward the latter.

Sponsored

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost

20230522_204659.jpg

20230522_204715.jpg
I too found that exact same nut in my drivers door.

Last edited:

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
Welcome to the club! Looks very similar to the one that I found in my drivers side front wheel well.

Ford F-150 Joined the Spare Bolt/Nut Club 20230408_122559

Last edited:
OP
OP
thebigdu

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
At least I'm in good company. Maybe Ford considers these "Easter eggs", or they think their owners enjoy scavenger hunts.

OP
OP
thebigdu

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles