First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Occupation
Business Systems Analyst
First, let me state that mechanically, I am a beginner but have a BF that knows more.
I have a 21 f-150 Lariat Supercrew with V6 Ecoboost. I have the Max Tow Package. My Backup assist uses the stickers, not the sensor. I do not have the 360 camera.

So, I've been reading posts about the OEM trailer backup camera and trailer TPMS system. I'm very interested and need help in how to determine if I can install these on my vehicle/trailer.

If anyone needs more info about my truck to determine if it is possible, let me know.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Cindy
Sponsored

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
First, let me state that mechanically, I am a beginner but have a BF that knows more.
I have a 21 f-150 Lariat Supercrew with V6 Ecoboost. I have the Max Tow Package. My Backup assist uses the stickers, not the sensor. I do not have the 360 camera.

So, I've been reading posts about the OEM trailer backup camera and trailer TPMS system. I'm very interested and need help in how to determine if I can install these on my vehicle/trailer.

If anyone needs more info about my truck to determine if it is possible, let me know.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Cindy
It's absolutely POSSIBLE with enough work for any truck to implement it. However, I think that you would need to upgrade to the 360 cameras first, since it's the 360 camera screen that allows the functionality to view the remote camera. And installing the camera package might be more effort than it's worth. I don't know if it's possible to, for example, just implement the TPMS functionality without the camera.

Folks more expert than I would be able to tell you which components would be necessary to upgrade to get the whole package to function.

OP
OP

CindyC-IL

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Occupation
Business Systems Analyst
I dont have the 360 camera. I hope that doesnt mean I cant do oem trailer backup camera?

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
This looks like it never got answered. The OP is still active occasionally, so I will. Yes, it means you can't use an OEM backup camera without 360 cameras. The system is dependent on that functionality.

If you don't already have one, consider a Furrion. Your trailer may already be wired for power. Other than power, no other connections are needed. I used a knockoff and was very dissatisfied. I later got a Furrion and was satisfied.

I'm now switching to an OEM camera because my newer truck has 360 cameras and I want to get rid of stuff in the cab of the truck. I bought an unopened box on ebay for $350 and will sell my Furrion to recoup some costs. I lose audio functionality but that's not a deal killer. The OEM camera quality is mediocre, at best, but I can see what I need to see.

mrtull

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT SCrew SB, FX4 with Tow
Occupation
Teacher
I dont have the 360 camera. I hope that doesnt mean I cant do oem trailer backup camera?
Do you have the 7/4 trailer plugs? If so, you'll have to swap them for the 7/12 and it will require splicing into the existing wiring. I did it based on this thread: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/any-update-on-a-trailer-tmps-system.4989/page-19#post-303786
The rear camera is only marketed for the F250 but it works with the F150. I just added it to mine. The kit I ordered had camera, tpms, and yaw sensor for backup assist so all three plug into the one 12 pin plug. It's a bit tricky but the wiring diagrams included in that thread show exactly which wires to splice into.

Good Luck!

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
Do you have the 7/4 trailer plugs? If so, you'll have to swap them for the 7/12 and it will require splicing into the existing wiring. ...
She says she doesn't have 360 cameras so the OEM trailer camera won't work, even if she swaps the trailer plugs and wire harness.

BTW, the job of replacing my existing wire harness for part # ML3Z-13A576-PK was plug-and-play on my '21 Job 1 XLT. No wire splicing required, but I did have to spend time on my back under the truck.
Sponsored