Sponsored

Is Ford's failure to mention the "Variable Engine Displacement" feature (of new V8 engines) on window stickers and spec sheets an act of "deception"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technoskeptic

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XL
I recently bought a 2021 F150 (with the V8 engine) and I'm irritated to find out after the fact that I wasn't made aware of the new-for-2021 cylinder deactivation feature of this engine. Whether or not it turns out to negatively affect reliability (or anything else) or not, I feel that Ford and/or its agents had a duty to make prospective buyers aware of this feature.

Had I known about this feature, e.g. from the window sticker, spec. sheet or communication with a salesperson, I may have postponed buying the truck; I may have considered other engine options; or I may have negotiated for a better deal (e.g. how about throwing in an extended warranty?).

I'm wondering: How do similarly situated others feel about this?
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Ford's website to compare the engines says it in the normal size print right under the 5.0. See Here

Otherwise, good luck with your complaint. I do not foresee any long term issues from the system, though it's a little early in the game to know that. Likely won't find out until there are models with 80-100k miles on them.

TXENG89

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Ford's website to compare the engines says it in the normal size print right under the 5.0. See Here

Otherwise, good luck with your complaint. I do not foresee any long term issues from the system, though it's a little early in the game to know that. Likely won't find out until there are models with 80-100k miles on them.
I knew about it from watching YouTube videos, and browsing the Ford website. But I do find it funny that the build & price leaves that detail out.

Doyouevenboost

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Subaru, 21 f150 502a ecoboost
Occupation
Utility maintenance worker
The majority of the people on this page have had to wait months, or are still waiting for their trucks, not knowing what options your truck is equipped with is almost a silly thought. Unfortunately I don’t think you’ll find much sympathy here.

It was pretty well known in the changes that 2021 brought to the 5.0L. The truck itself has been advertised as “all new.”

The window sticker is federally mandated to disclose certain required details of the vehicle, obviously cylinder deactivation isn’t one of them.

Though it is unfortunate the the salesman didn’t educate you about the feature, it is difficult to keep up on the latest technology of an entire lineup of vehicles, especially ones that are, all new..

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
The first dealership I went to in February didn't even know Ford had a hybrid F150, the second knew of it, but no other details, and the 3rd dealership I didn't even ask, I just told them that's what I wanted. Sales people are sadly very ill informed on minor details in most cases.

Sponsored

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
I recently bought a 2021 F150 (with the V8 engine) and I'm irritated to find out after the fact that I wasn't made aware of the new-for-2021 cylinder deactivation feature of this engine. Whether or not it turns out to negatively affect reliability (or anything else) or not, I feel that Ford and/or its agents had a duty to make prospective buyers aware of this feature.

Had I known about this feature, e.g. from the window sticker, spec. sheet or communication with a salesperson, I may have postponed buying the truck; I may have considered other engine options; or I may have negotiated for a better deal (e.g. how about throwing in an extended warranty?).

I'm wondering: How do similarly situated others feel about this?
Most research before they buy.
Unbelievable that people "blame" others because they lack knowledge that is readily available to everyone.

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
I knew all about it right away. It received quite a lot of attention.

9k miles... no issue.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.