Sponsored

I see the benefits of tow mirrors, but...

BuffaloBill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
I'm interested in ordering my truck with tow mirrors, primarily because I like how much more visibility they provide, even as a daily driver. I don't tow anything yet, but I like being able to see the rear wheels and avoiding obstacles in tight spaces. I drive into the city often, and I am worried about the increased width.

I realize all the tech can provide a lot of visibility (BLIS, 360 camera, etc), and I'd prefer not to have to stick little convex mirrors on my regular mirrors.

I read about folks going from regular mirrors to aftermarket tow mirrors (and dealing with connectivity issues with electrical features). But would going from factory tow to regular mirrors be possible if I decide the tow mirrors are just too wide for daily driving? Seems like dealers would not be interested in performing this type of swap (I asked). Thanks for any thoughts/experience with this!
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
This would be something that you could probably trade + a few $ with a marketplace ad or similar. Or even a forum member here that may be interested.

I’ve considered going to the towing mirrors, but not willing to pay up front for them.
I will consider getting them later, but I am not really towing often enough to really need them.

DannyboyUpstate

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XLT Supercab 5.0L 6.5’ bed
I'm a bit disappointed in the 2021 mirrors. My 2016 non-tow mirrors are amazing. I think the new mirrors are a step backwards, but I understand most of the models come with the BLIS now. I use the blindspot mirror all the time for parallel parking in the City.

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
Trust me you won’t regeret the tow mirrors. ESP if you are ordering a lariat or above which have the power mirrors.

UNCGrad

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 AMB Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost 6.5 bed
I am undecided on this issue as well. I will be putting a dog box (example below) in the bed so the entire rear window will be blocked and I will rely solely on my side-view mirrors. I worry about tight parking spots and how far they stick out.

Ford F-150 I see the benefits of tow mirrors, but... Ford Dog box

Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I am undecided on this issue as well. I will be putting a dog box (example below) in the bed so the entire rear window will be blocked and I will rely solely on my side-view mirrors. I worry about tight parking spots and how far they stick out.

Ford Dog box.jpg
You are a prime candidate for 360 camera! But your truck bed camera will be blocked. You will still have a tailgate camera.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

Ford Dog box.jpg
Are you getting the 360 camera package? It will do wonders for you in conjunction with the tow mirrors in tight spots!

On the regular mirrors, the camera is on the folding portion of the mirror so I don't know what that does to the camera view. But on the tow mirrors, the camera is on the base part and is not affected when the mirror folds. So I will be relying on them for parking in tight spaces.

UNCGrad

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 AMB Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost 6.5 bed
Are you getting the 360 camera package? It will do wonders for you in conjunction with the tow mirrors in tight spots!

On the regular mirrors, the camera is on the folding portion of the mirror so I don't know what that does to the camera view. But on the tow mirrors, the camera is on the base part and is not affected when the mirror folds. So I will be relying on them for parking in tight spaces.
Yes, I will be getting the 360 camera package. I am a bells and whistles person as I tend to get all the options.

I did not know that the camera was located on the non-folding part. Good to know. Thanks!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, I will be getting the 360 camera package. I am a bells and whistles person as I tend to get all the options.

I did not know that the camera was located on the non-folding part. Good to know. Thanks!
Yes! I'm super excited to use it when backing into my condo parking garage. There are pillars everywhere and if either neighbor parks near the line it really screws me so this is gonna rule.

For videos on the 360 with tow mirrors, check out any of the Superduty videos on 360 cameras and parking. They have tow mirrors by default.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

Here ya go. Skip to 11:00. He starts on the tow mirrors (that we get in the F150) and shows the telescope and fold features. You can also see where the camera is. Then he talks about the storage (extra glove and folding underseat) that is cross pollinated now into the F150. Then he does the 360 camera view, you can see how well it will help us park!
Sponsored